My Newbie Blood Angel Hobby Blog

honeybadger33

I am an advocate of dropper bottles over pots. The Series 7 brush will make a huge difference - my painting improved immediately when I got my first one. I've never looked back.

Luther, How did you transfer your paints from the pots to the dropper bottles? I got my stuff in late yesterday evening (UPS guy was running behind so I didnt much feel like messing with them after it came in because it was so late) and have been trying to decide the best way to go about this process. I was planning on doing a test pot and seeing how it went when using a funnel to just pour it into the dropper. I decided that whatever paint was left in the pot I would simply use when I go about painting with a brush. Maybe put a little bit of thinner or medium in it to thin just enough to make it run a little better and drain it also. 

Someone on another forum suggested to me that part of my shaky hands problems could be due to  not controlling my breathing while painting. While doing a little painting I noticed something I was doing that is in NO WAY HELPING me. I caught myself holding my breath. I hadnt even realized I was doing it. I have no idea WHY I do that but never the less I WAS doing it so today while Its so nice outside Im taking my stuff outside and Im going to sit on the porch and relax and attempt to get some painting done so I can post a few pictures. Im also going to work on getting a few models put together as they are starting to stack up and I think Im getting burned out on painting Mephiston Red as thats all that I have been painting. Im going to either assemble my Furioso Dreadnought as Death company just to paint another color awhile or working on some Ork stuff I recently traded for with a friend. I have a set of Nobz and a set of Killa Kanz I can work on and those will definitely allow me to paint some other colors awhile. (Any suggestions on WHAT COLOR I should paint them as they seem to be in all colors? Might go with Blue Skins on them but that goes against Greenskin mentality lol)

Got wrangled into some yard work since its nice out so I will have to put off the painting for a little while. If I manage to get done in time I will still post some pics of the work in progress so far. All my paints just came in and I am dying to try them out with my airbrush.... Dont ya hate those honey do's lists? LMAO

I haven't actually transferred paints from pots into bottles, I just use Vallejo paints which come in dropper bottles. I do but empty bottles and put mediums, cleaning fluid, wash mixes etc into them but that's usually a bottle-to-bottle job so no hassle. I guess some kind of funnel would be the best way.

I've caught myself holding my breath sometimes when painting, usually when doing fine details. I wouldn't worry too much about it - snipers do it when preparing to fire on their mark ;)

Ok guys Im updating again. I actually got some work done today. Had a bad headache (I have bad miagraines a lot :( ) last night that kept me from sleeping so I put the time to good hobbying use. I finished assembling my Dreadnought, got some work done on some Ork Nobz, base coated my Dreadnought though it needs another coat, started converting an apothacary to a saguinary priest, and worked a little on the Terminator Ive been trying to get finished for forever and practiced on my technique and highlighting. I took some picutres but they are not good at all so Im working on creating a lightbox to help in that area. Oh and I also tried out my airbrush paints that came in the other day. I also tried to transfer some Citadel paints to dropper bottles with limited success. I may have ruined a whole pot of Mephiston Red by putting too much Vallejo Retarder Medium in it. I know its not thinner. I wanted the paint to last awhile longer than it does. Anyways I tried it with the 500 pipettes I got and I advise against using those for that type of transfer. The citadel is just way to thick for them to pick it up and you waste more than if you just poured it in a funnel. So I oredered some funnels. LMAO. I plan on trying to post some pictures for you guys. I know I havent been updating like I wanted and said I would but bear with me. As I get better Im sure I will find more time to do as I said I would do. If you are reading this thanks for stopping by and I hope you do come back to see what I have accomplished.

Ok HUGE update. For me anyways. Remember where I said I couldnt find anyone that played 40K anywhere near me? Nick that. I just found about 5 people who play and are into the hobby within about 30 minutes drive of me!! This is huge for me! For three months Ive bought and bought models when I could building up my army just to have and collect and now I can finally start building my army up to actually PLAY the game!!! I cant believe it. I had given up on being able to actually play the game any time soon and now Ive found a few people that want to play soon! Im trying to arrange a meet so we can get together, talk and have a painting session!! This is AWSOME! Im so happy! heheheh. I havent bought a single model in a month and was concentrating on building the ones I have and now I can buy a few to build up my force and hopefully have enough to play either next month or the following one unless these guys have a few units I can borrow. Ill have to ask to see what they have. Maybe the shops I found them at will either loan me a few or give me a deal to get me going. Now I wish I hadnt spent all the money I spent this month on paint, brushes and dropper bottles. Those items alone could have been turned into at least one GOOD model or two cheaper ones. :( lol. just my luck. Anyways Im not going to forget my update I promised. Great weather outside today so I will get those pictures and upload them this evening. Keep an eye out here cause I think this will definitely kick my butt into painting and gaming gear!!!

Ok, now that the last Annual Family Reunion/Decoration is over, I can start on moving things from someone elses "flower room" out into the storage shed and start moving in my Computer Desk and tables to convert that sucker into my Man Cave/Hobby Room where I will have much more space and far superiour lighting! Gonna require some work but if things go as planned I should be moved in there in a week or so. "IF" things go as planned but lets not forget Murphy's Law....Maybe ole Murhp will be asleep at the wheel this go around. I need some good luck and news for a change. A friend and I are working out some plans to start an actual honest to god internet blog to help keep us motivated. Gonna plan some projects and keep track of them from start to finish on the site. Once I get things fleshed out and up and running I will post a link. On it I will make sure to keept hings going better than I have on here and will be posting more pictures as I have borrowed a camera for pictures so you wont have to look at crummy iPhone camera shots.

Hello again. Good news on this post. I have a few pictures to show something Im experimenting with. I think I have found a technique that I like and also a shade of red that fits how I imagine Blood Angels to have. I used Khorne Red to base coat with and then went over the entire model with a good coat of Carroburg Crimson Shade. Next I used Mephiston Red and went back over the model avoiding the recesses. It turned out really good in my eyes. I still like the edge highlighting on the model but I want to get your opinions on how its going so far. Oh and the Dreadnought in the pictures isnt finished and only has a base coat in Mephiston red with the metal parts painting in Leadbelcher. Its only the first layer of Mephiston so it really shows. I simply included it to show the difference in the shades of red they produce against the new method I used.

I will load the pics once I figure it out again. Sorry

Upload them to photobucket. On there, each picture has an code next to it. Copy and past this into your post. 

There are also several detailed guides on how to do this stickied in various forums here.

There. This is better. I hadnt finished the process of uploading. Sorry. LMAO. Now that I have this figured out when I get more done I will post more pictures. Im also going to be doing something different with my Sanguinary Guard I think you guys will like. They wont be gold when I do them. I dont like that color and nothing says they MUST be gold in color. Im thinking either like an Alabaster White color or maybe even Black. What do you guys think of those?

IMG 0947

IMG 0946

Notice how much Brighter the Mephiston is on the Dreadnought than the Khorne Red is on the Marine? I never could get the shade I wanted with Mephiston and the Khorne Red kinda nails what I was looking for. If you look at the arms of the Dread you can really tell the difference. Its just too bright for Blood Angels if you ask me. I dont know why I was trying to stick with Mephiston Red when I have all the other colors and types of paints I have. Guess since I watched the video tutorial by Duncan Rhodes on WarhammerTV on Youtube that I thought I had to use it to be the right color sice he used it. Oh well. Lesson learned. Use what I want and  use my imagination. I hope to get some painting done today so maybe I can finish the marine with his highlights and I will post some pics if I finish him up

IMG 0944

Archived