IA: Vendetta question

Brendaen

I am contemplating adding some Militarium Tempest Scions to my Armored Battle group, (2 ten man squads with plasmaguns, a Commissar Lord, and a Valkyrie).

I want both of the squads riding in fliers, because i hate the Taurox Primes. If I get the Vendetta from the IA: Armored Battle group list, can one of the Scion squads start off in it?

Since FW hasn't updated it, thier Vendetta still holds 12 models.

I don't have the MT codex yet, but I think it has an Air Bourne formation that will solve my problem....

So... what exactly is the question here? According to IA it still holds 12 models and is cheaper. But the Scion Airborne Formation only work with Vendettas taken from the Codex: Militarum Tempestus. You can not mix them and still benefit from the formation. Can't have a cake and eat it too ;)

If I'm reading this right you want to put a Scion squad from a formation into an allied Vendetta? They can mount allied transports yes but as Immer says I think as a formation then they must be used as that formation in order to get the benefits of it? Perhaps if someone could quote the relevant part from the formation that specifies this?

I guess I wasn't clear. I was thinking about adding Scions to my armored force, which would consist of a Commissar Lord, 2 ten man Scion squads, and a Valkyrie. My question was: Can one of my Scion squads start in a Vendetta bought from the IA list? (Since as an allied detachment, I could only take 1 Valkyrie from the Scions)

I then remembered reading something about the MT having an Airborne formation. If that's true, then I wouldn't have to take the FW Vendetta.

Sorry for the confusion.

I guess I wasn't clear. I was thinking about adding Scions to my armored force, which would consist of a Commissar Lord, 2 ten man Scion squads, and a Valkyrie. My question was: Can one of my Scion squads start in a Vendetta bought from the IA list? (Since as an allied detachment, I could only take 1 Valkyrie from the Scions)

I then remembered reading something about the MT having an Airborne formation. If that's true, then I wouldn't have to take the FW Vendetta.

Sorry for the confusion.

You can start in an allied transport as of 7th edition, as long as they are Battle Bros, which they are.

And yes, there is a Formation, however it requires you to take 4 Valkyries, 3 MT Squads, 1 Command and a ComLord. Pretty unwieldy.

I recommend you stick with your plan and get the Armoured Battle Group.

Just read some info on on the Airborne Assault formation..... I don't want that many Scions....

The only part of my original plan that sucks is that I won't be able to field my Vulture Gunship...

Thanks for the help.

Uh...anyone else aware that there are no vendettas in C:MT?  

Also, Immer, the commissar in the formation is not required to have the "lord" upgrade, you can take just the 25 point version.  

It is true (hard to tell who's saying what in all of the back and forth in this thread, so there may not actually be confusion on this) that you can start in an allied battle brother transport...except that the air cav formation dicatates that the squads and the commie must start in their own set of four birds, which certainly overrides the general rule of being able to, for example, put repentia into a storm raven.

More generally, and I think this was mentioned, you would not be able to use C:AM, but substitute one data point (12 passengers versus 6) from the FW book (unless unbound, then it's not cheating, just really poor sportsmanship)  You would, however, be able to field a 12 passenger vendetta in a purely FW detachment, such as elysians or DKOK.  This came up once before in the context of FW rules for hydras being vastly superior to C:AM rules for the same model...If you're using something (like my griffons) that only has FW rules, that's one thing, but if your codex has rules for the unit, then codex>IA.

The main force would be strictly from the FW:IA Armored Battlegroup with an Allied Scion detachment. The force would look like this:

Command tank Vanquisher with Beasthunter shells (for hunting MCs)

Commissar Battle tank with Infernus shells (for hunting pesky Tau in cover)

2 LRBTs

Thunderer

LR Punisher with HB sponsons

Vendetta

2 Medusa with enclosed crew compartments

Allies:

Commissar Lord

2 ten man Scion squads with plasmaguns and Sgt with Powerade (power Axe - damn spell check)

Valkyrie with Lascannon and Pods

2000pts

Archived