New Eldar

vahouth

Farseer on a jetbike, 30 Scatterbikes, 3 WKs all fit in a 1750pts list. 

How do you guys plan to deal with it?

All the math I've done so far have shown that a VERY lucky Mephiston can drop a WK in a turn, with Force and Sanguine Sword.

Also a single WK requires about 30 grav shot to take him down, and that's  without even considering the possible cover save.

So, thoughts?

No, as WK are lords of war now?

No different to Triptide armies, which are nastier due to 4+ invun and 2+ armour save.

Farseer on a jetbike, 30 Scatterbikes, 3 WKs all fit in a 1750pts list.

No, as WK are lords of war now?

No different to Triptide armies, which are nastier due to 4+ invun and 2+ armour save.

Can be done by taking a War Host (like an Eldar Decurion). Provided you have 1 Battle Host Detachment (the Wind Rider one in this case) then you can take up to 12 supporting Auxiliaries. A single Wraithknight is 1 auxiliary so once you have the Battle Host, you can field as many WKs as points allow.

30 shots hitting on 3+, which is 20 hits, wounding on +3 again is about 12-13 wounds.

The WK makes his FNP and saves an average of 5-6 wounds. So he's taken 6-7 wounds on average which is barelly what is needed to kill him. Imagine if he would also get a 5+ or 4+ cover save.

I think you're forgeting FNP.

Your math is off a little. 30 shots should do 8.889 unsaved wounds after FnP. I think it's off on the FnP you estimated, 1/3 of 12 isn't 5-6

For what it's worth 20 shots does 5.926 wounds so that's the sweet spot for killing one on average. If he did get a 5+ save from cover or his shield then you would need 30 to do the same amount.

You're right, jeez, what's wrong with me? :P. Anyways, it seems that I forgot somehow I had already factored in the cover save, and I tried doing the math from memory.

30*0.66=19.8 hits *0.66=13.07 wounds, of which the WK makes a 5+ cover save resulting in 8.63 unsaved wounds. After the FNP he suffers 5.67 wounds in total. Almost a kill.

But even if he needed 20 shots in the best case scenario, that's still a lot of grav weapons to take him down, and that's the best our codex has to offer. It's either gravs, or a very lucky Mephiston.

Another idea that springs to mind is Vanguard Veterans with a mix of power fists and storm shields. They have the mobility to catch a Knight, the durability to go a few rounds of combat with it and the strength to hurt it.

A 10-man squad with 6 power fists and 4 Storm shields is pretty pricey but should get the job done. They will average 2 wounds per turn (4 on the charge) against an unshielded Knight. They should bring it down in 2 rounds of combat. The Wraithknight should only be able to kill a couple during that time with the Storm shields tanking the damage for the power fist wielders. Glaive Knight is a bit tougher due to 5++ and 6s to wound bypassing the Storm Shields but he should go down eventually. Stomp attacks will do some damage but with 3+ saves and careful possitioning, they should be survivable.

With hits and wounds normally being on 4s, anything that can give rerolls to either will give the unit a big boost so Chaplains or Librarians might come in handy. Given the number of psychic dice Eldar will probably have to Deny, the static buffs of a Chaplain may be more reliable. Sanguinary Priests are also good as WS5 will generate more hits.

But what about the rest of the list? That VV unit of yours costs 410 points, and adding to that the cost of any IC to accompany them, we're talking about a huge chunk of your army tied up kill the WK.

That is true, however after finishing off a WK, they should still be in good shape to catch and hammer other targets. Wraithlords, Grav tanks, Wraithguard (not the D-scythe variety though) would all be high value targets that they could eliminate fairly effectively. You could even Combat Squad them at the start of the game and either gang up on tough targets like the Knight or split up to hunt smaller game. This would reduce the value of an attached IC though.

I think stormraven assault is the surest way to catch him. Load up a thunder hammer/ss term plus maybe meph and pray Sanguinius is watching that you make that 6' charge.

(Stormraven flies next to knight, knight moves 12 runs 6, hopefully doesn't hit the raven lol, raven moves 6, deploy 6 then charge).

It would be glorious

R

I think stormraven assault is the surest way to catch him. Load up a thunder hammer/ss term plus maybe meph and pray Sanguinius is watching that you make that 6' charge.

(Stormraven flies next to knight, knight moves 12 runs 6, hopefully doesn't hit the raven lol, raven moves 6, deploy 6 then charge).

It would be glorious

R

To Catch a Wraith Knight. Why don't you have a seat right over there ;)

This is what I was thinking.

Rugged enough to last a few rounds in combat and the strength to put the WK down in a round or two.

It worked for me before versus an eldar player. Admittedly before they could stomp but unless he rolls 6's it's ok. (He also surprised me with an eldar Titan he'd been painting in secret, the smaller of the two. That thing makes the wraithknight look like a kitten. I still won, played the objectives ;) )

R

Oh and if you save three missiles prior to charging you could cause concussed on it. (2 for fast vehicle +1 for PotMS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRFxJcG9qT0

For those who missed. Leaves me in tears everytime.

I like how the subtitle author makes a point that marine players can buy a Sicaran for $110; the same price as an Eldar Warithknight on the GW site. So why laugh at a marine player having to pay that price, but not the Eldar player who pays the same?

Seriously, if you want an internally consistent ruleset, what are you doing playing 40k?

OT: I have yet to play anybody that plays with only 2-3 units at 1750 points. Maybe I just play with gentlemen? That's how I plan to take on this Eldar bike spam fear.

I like how the subtitle author makes a point that marine players can buy a Sicaran for $110; the same price as an Eldar Warithknight on the GW site. So why laugh at a marine player having to pay that price, but not the Eldar player who pays the same?

Seriously, if you want an internally consistent ruleset, what are you doing playing 40k?

OT: I have yet to play anybody that plays with only 2-3 units at 1750 points. Maybe I just play with gentlemen? That's how I plan to take on this Eldar bike spam fear.

Did I hit a nerve or something? It is just a funny video.

@GrunTeufel: Nothing personal! I didn't find the video funny. Sarcastic, yes, but not funny.

I guess it was just me reading the entire thread in one go and seeing little more than gloom and "that won't work" to suggestions to the OP. 

I do agree with a previous thread poster that the way GW seems to be going is Imperials ally with other Imperials and the xenos need to have everything in one book. If you play Imperial, you pretty much need to buy other faction models/units/formations to 'have a chance' of winning. It is a change in mindset I don't see accepted/ Heck, I don't want to accept it, but then again, I'm playing 40K so I have only myself to blame.

I wouldn't really mind all the new toys the Eldar are getting in this new codex, if only the price they pay for what they get was more appropriate. I mean, really ...55pts for a D platform? 295pts for a WK that has free upgrades to boot?

Every unit in the codex, except maybe Phoenix Lords, is too cheap.

And the formations that add free upgrades, also won't help.

What comes around goes around. I didn't play with my Eldar in 5th because everything was overpriced and underperforming. The whole reason I went to marines was because I knew they'd constantly be upgraded or get new stuff. Since Tonka Toy sixth edition, that isn't quite as true as it was, but I'm having a hard time getting worked up over a codex that was released only 1 or 2 weeks ago.

If I expected to play a balanced game I'd be playing historicals.

It's fun to play against Eldar with angel's spearhead formation, that way you may get to charge! Find it pretty silly that Eldar scare me more then Tau do at range.

Little off topic, but I still do find fantasy to be very enjoyable.

Archived