new HH novel - Deathfire

Atia

I liked it a lot. 

Highlights.

Cameo by the Furious Abyss.  Trigger happy, cold heated, Tech marine.  All the Forge World Shot outs, Volkite and Sicarans and more.  All things Barthusa Narek.  I think it was Unremembered Empire that he took a place on my list of founding Grey Knight Grand masters.   I had given up on any loyalists Word Bearers.  Narek of the Word is great fun...... a huge get for the good guys if he lives.

Big fan of most of this book, the final battle seemed a bit daft though as a horde of Deathguard mooks get casually slaughtered, narrow it down to just the drop pods and some lifters and it would seem more plausible.

Really liked the Deathguard other than that though, has massively upped my keen for that legion :D

Was it me or did they reveal the original name of the XVIII Legion?

Dragon Warriors

According to FW, they had no official name beyond informal nicknames such as the Fearless. Their Terran sigil was the Saturnyne Ram. The Salamander head was introduced alongside the Salamander name.

While it certainly wouldn't be the first time there was a contradiction, I know which one I prefer.

Dragon Warriors

According to FW, they had no official name beyond informal nicknames such as the Fearless. Their Terran sigil was the Saturnyne Ram. The Salamander head was introduced alongside the Salamander name.

While it certainly wouldn't be the first time there was a contradiction, I know which one I prefer.

I think this is just a newer publication so it might override the old FW info.  I think FW info is just as valid as any Codex or BL book, but new info is always refreshing.

Dragon Warriors

I think this is just a newer publication so it might override the old FW info. I think FW info is just as valid as any Codex or BL book, but new info is always refreshing.

Newer info does not invalidate the older. They coexist, they intermingle. They make carnival-mirror reflections of each other.

But we can have preferences of one over the other. If you prefer accepting the new over the old, okay. I'm going to hold onto FW on this particular point, myself.

As Nick Kyme mentioned in his write up at the end, this book is about grief.

Numeon is not quite with it in this book because quite frankly he is not himself. Throughout Vulkan Lives he held onto the belief that his gene father and master, an individual who he, as captain of the Pyre Guard, was sworn to protect. He saw Vulkan's death as his own personal failure and he is now feeling a profound and very personal mixture of grief and loss. Anyone who has lost a loved one will have some understand of how that feels.

Did anyone tell Numeon the truth of what happened to Vulkan?  Does anyone actually know?  Vulkan and his Pyre Guard weren't pulled down by waves of World Eater Berserkers and massed conventional fire from the other Traitor legions, which more bodyguards could have helped against.  Vulkan's unit was annihilated by a nuclear weapon, something not even Vulkan survived (he regenerated thanks to his Perpetual nature, but that's another story).   What does he think he could have done to help Vulkan survive, aside from help to extract surviving Salamanders from a battle that was already lost before the Traitors ever got to grips with the Loyalists on Istvaan?

By the way, isn't it already canon that the Salamanders were cut down to less than a Chapter's strength by the time of the Second Founding?  I take it that hasn't happened yet in the HH series, but is there any sign of them "hedging their bets" in a way?  I thought that instead of fighting against overwhelming odds and depleting their numbers further, they would commit a significant portion of their surviving number to making weapons on Nocturne to help their allies.  Something like "Our deaths will not serve the Emperor, but at least we can still aid His cause by supplying his forces with the best weapons outside of Mars.  Vulkan's skill remains with us still."?

As the sworn protector of his father, Numeon will feel grief regardless of how rational or not it may be. It's a very human way to be. We feel guilt alongside our grief.

I've thought this too, but then I realised that they are proud warriors who want to take the fight to the enemy. They are very much a body of warriors who 'never give up'. They won't sit back when there is a war to fight. And given how many die in stories of the Shattered Legions chances are they will just be picked apart slowly by the attrition of a galaxy-wide civil war. A lot of the survivors are spread so thinly that they will just die fighting with the Iron Hands.

Archived