Astra... Imperial Guard (with a hint of heresy)...

Inso

It's been a while but I have been moving house, preparing the old rented one for handing back and in amongst that, I have been trying to get the new house to a standard where I could safely leave my wife while I travelled back and forth from the old to the new.

So... to cut a long story short... My new house is a 'fixer upper' so I will have lots of work to do on it. This will reduce my hobby time but I will be insisting that I get some hobby time no matter what...

The down side is that most of my hobby stuff is in boxes in the spare room with nowhere to store them if they get unpacked so my only available hobby stuff is my Squats and enough sculpting equipment to work on them... so it looks like this little army will be getting all my hobby time, when it surfaces.

That is it for now... hopefully updates will appear soon and will also become more frequent... but time, like a river, flows :o 

• 2 weeks later...
It's been a while but here is the latest WIP for the Terminator suit. The head is loose (and will be replaced with a better one), the fists will get lightning claws, and the crotch/legs will be getting more armour... but it's the first WIP from my new house and I'm happy with it so far:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/Squat%20Exo%20Armour/Wolverine1_zpsp92x26tm.jpg

Cheers :smile.:

So far (with a few interruptions) it has taken me just over 2 years... but I often run projects for longer than that :smile.:

The heat hammers are just 'reverse highlighted'. I started with white, mixed in yellow, then full yellow, then red with yellow, then finally red on the edges. I can't remember the actual paints but you need a strong white, bright yellow and a strong scarlett red. It is an easy process but looks quite effective (I saw the same process used on an army over at the Mantic forums and followed it).

As for how I decide what miniatures are good for converting to Squats... I cheat :smile.: . You see the picture with the chopped down termie next to the actual one?:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/Squat%20Exo%20Armour/SquatTermie_zpsoxjop8qw.jpg

... I do that quite a lot in order to decide what will work or not :smile.: (I use Microsoft paint... but I am sure most people would use more advanced image manipulation programs that are less limited).

Edited by Inso

One step closer :) . The legs are finished and tabbed, ready to go for casting :) . As you can see from the picture, they are designed to fit in one way only (so adjustment would need to be made to turn the body, if you wanted to do that). I have also shown that the legs fit other bodies from the same kit... now it's just a case of getting them cast up :o ...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/Squat%20Exo%20Armour/Wolverine3_zpszzlqjb5t.jpg

Sometimes, it helps to see progress to keep you motivated.

Small Pic with key:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/GW%20Squats/SquatWIP126_zpsfggmdrjr.jpg

I freaking love these! <3

That said, I'd imagine with a small amount of conversion you could use the Death Roller as a Heavy Weapon Platform? Assuming the central panel is able to be detached, you could mount just about anything on there.

The death roller isn't the style I want for my army. It's a bit too cartoony for my liking.

In other news... the legs are being put in the post to the casters tomorrow :)

So... I've been in touch with the caster and he reckons they will be finished by the end of this coming week so I expect to get them the following week :)

We also had a chat about other casting... so you never know, there may be something a bit interesting turning up later this year ;) (It will be Xenos so I won't be able to show things off here... but if I am allowed, I will provide links (or just put them in my blog) so you can see them :) ).

In other news, my Hanomag turned up and I am talking to the creator of the conversion that inspired me so that I can get some of the critical dimensions. If I am successful, I may have finally solved my transport problems :)

I have SO much going on at the moment, I think that I may suffer exhaustion soon :o :D :D

Thanks to SDKFZ (an excellent tank builder on another forum) and his excellent Hanomag scratchbuild for a Chimera... I have started converting a 1/35th Tamiya Hanomag half track. So far I have glued the top and bottom of the hull together and then cut down the centreline of the kit. I then cut out a segment about 2cm from each side. The idea is to shorten and widen the kit. So far so good. All the cutting has been done and I have cleaned things up. I have also put in a lot of battens so that I can join everything together (they still need trimming but they need to dry at the moment). The next job is to put in a 1cm spacer down the middle and then assemble the hull. Here is my little workspace while my house is in disarray:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/GW%20Squats/Squat%20Vehicles/Hobby%20Time_zpsfsubnpgy.jpg

Note... the port is sitting minding it's own business... :)

Cheers :)

In order to create a full review, I have fitted the legs to all of the torsos from the Tartaros terminator sprues and am in the process of building my little Wolverine unit. Here is where I am at so far :) :

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/Squat%20Exo%20Armour/Wolverine5_zpsmkyzxbgz.jpg

The white balls are 8mm acrylic beads.