Need ideas (list request) IH 3K

deekin

Models i've got:

Ferrus OR Thunderhawk gunship (If there is some way to use both (effectively), I am all ears)

Spartan

scorpius

40 Tactical marines (various weapons, can be destroyers, heavy weps, normal tacs, whatever)

2 Contemptors (various weapons, again can be whatever)

Completely blank slate, requirements only that most of the listed models are used. Am open to purchasing anything to finish the army (only limitation is on non-fluffy allied detachments).

Mostly looking at around 3K points but want to be able to range from 2K through 4K. Just general ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated and lists would be excellent. Really want to arrive at a final list that i can start modelling and magnetising options for. Will trickle in my own preferences and stuff as thread develops (hopefully it will) as at the moment can't really think of specifics. Thanks heaps

Feel that I need to get the ball rolling so I'll chuck this list here that i have been milling over.

HQ - 195

Legion Centurion (Cataphractii Terminator armour, Cyber-familiar,  Grav Gauntlet)

Forge Lord (Plasma pistol, rad grenades, melta bombs)

ELITES - 1220

Legion Destroyer Squad (10, 2 Missile launcher with a suspensor web and rad missiles)

Legion Destroyer Sergeant (Artificer armour, phosphex bombs)

Legion Land Raider Proteus

Legion Terminator Squad (10, Cataphractii pattern armour, 2 Chainfist)
        Legion Terminator Sergeant (Cyber-familiar)
        Legion Spartan Assault Tank (Armoured Ceramite, Flare shield)

TROOPS - 610
    Legion Tactical Squad (20)
        Legion Tactical Sergeant (melta bombs)
    Legion Tactical Squad (10)

Legion Land Raider Proteus

HEAVY SUPPORT - 455
    Legion Whirlwind Scorpius

LORDS OF WAR - 455
    Ferrus Manus

This leaves 75 points but will need to trim it down to fit at least one contemptor.

Imo I Feel you lack Armour maybe something like this might help ....

Hq -- 195

Legion Centurion (Cataphractii Terminator armour, Cyber-familiar, Grav Gauntlet)

Forge Lord (Plasma pistol, rad grenades, melta bombs)

Elites -- 1215

10x Gorgons (2x Gravatonguns, 2x Chainfist)
-- Attached Sparten (Flare Sheilds, Armoured Ceramite)

2x Apothecarions

Contemptor-Mortis (Kheres Assaults Cannons)

Contemptor-Mortis (Kheres Assaults Cannons)

Troops -- 540

20x Tactical Squad (Vex, Combi-Weapon)

20x Tactical Squad (Vex, Combi-Weapon)

Heavys -- 495

Scarren venator,

Scorpius,

2x Pred, (Heavy bolters)

LOW -- 455

Ferrus

This leaves u with 100pts for upgrades on things

Imo I Feel you lack Armour maybe something like this might help ....

Thanks heaps for the suggestions. Was considering the Venator as it is just so IH. Also i feel that with Ferrus, Apoths aren't necessary and gorgons would be inferior to Cataphractii Termies but let me know if this sounds accurate as i don't have tabletop experience with it Ferrus. Just an example of something including the Thunderhawk, is this workable in this size of game?

HQ - 210

Legion Praetor (Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, Cyber Familiar, Grav Gauntlet, Melta bombs)

ELITES - 1255

Gorgon Terminator Squad (10, 2 Chainfist)

Legion Hammerbearer (Cyber-familiar)

Apothecarion Detachment (2, 2 Augury scanner)

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (2, Dreadnought close combat weapon with inbuilt twin-linked bolter, 4 Graviton gun)

TROOPS - 510

HEAVY SUPPORT - 305

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius

Sicaran Venator

LORDS OF WAR - 720

Legion Thunderhawk Gunship (Void-crafted hull)

TOTAL - 3000

• 2 weeks later...

All right, this list has quite a few problems that I'm going to get into, first of all you're seriously really lacking very high Stregth (9-10) AP2 firepower as this is the points values you're going to see other Primarchs and Superheavies come out, if that Venator goes down you won't have anything that can handle AV14 with a Flare Shield (enemy Spartans for example, and it can't handle Primarchs thanks to their high amount of wounds).  As your list currently is even Terminators are going to be giving you a lot of trouble.

Next is what I think might be a small mistake, Contemptor's cannot have both bolters and graviton guns, maybe that's what you meant but it doesn't look like it was written that way.

Going full 20 Marines in a squad is an efficient use of points, though unfortunately it isn't a very efficient use of a squad.  Iron Hands have serious penalties to running in the shooting phase (and it's a long ways from your deployment zone to most objectives or even to be within range of the enemy) so they don't do very well if they have to footslog it.

Ferrus would be a bit underused as your list is set up but that's because he primarily buffs tanks and works well with a gunline army, and you don't appear to do that, giving troops FnP (6+) will be wasted because you've already got FnP (5+) on everybody thanks to it either being in their rules by default or by the Apothecaries giving it to them, so you'll be paying 400+ points for IWND on your vehicles as well as a shooter that a couple more Contemptors could also do the job of for quite a bit less.

If you do want Ferrus, I'd recommend getting rid of the Apothecaries (Iron Hands are naturally very tough, so you don't need to pay 90 more points to increase that FnP save by one), and using the points you're saving on swapping the Thunderhawk for him to get some Contemptor Mortis Dreadnoughts, partially for the free IWND and partially for the Anti-Air defence as your list is very much lacks that.

Archived