Kastelan Maniple Discussion

Heck, GW could always make a special rule for him that allows him to join the Kastelans.  Model SRs overriding the BRB and all that.  That said, I hadn't even considered what the Cult Mechanicus Canticle USR might do.  With how powerful Doctrina Imperatives are, I think it's best to withhold judgement on the Kastelans until we see more of that!

2x plasmarii squads are 400 points. Who cares If the bots are expensive, there basically a unit of wraithlords take them and the ik and they will make there points back

Possibly a selection of a few songs that plays on their internal MP40000 players, giving them special buffs depending on how awesome the song is. Just a wild guess anyway biggrin.png

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto or Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger?

Possibly a selection of a few songs that plays on their internal MP40000 players, giving them special buffs depending on how awesome the song is. Just a wild guess anyway biggrin.png

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto or Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger?

Our ++Hard Data++ suggests "Eye of the tiger" & Select Van Halen title's increase Adrenaline output and feelings of invincibility by at least 20% equating to a euphoric FnP type save

Mithril

I was thinking more like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden.

They take our cogs, but we'll take theirs too.

They shoot their Plasmas, but we'll run 'em through.

And when preparing for the next attack,

We will be standing and not running back.'

And now I'm picturing modeling my Kastelans with giant speakers (voxes?) stuck to the shoulders/head. Like Rhonda Snord's Highlander from Battletech!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rhonda_Snord

Link included for the curious. Yes, she played rock music to distract her enemies. And it is awesome. biggrin.png

Well....you are from Germany so that is a logical choice...

Mithril 

I would have thought the logical choice in that instance would be rammstien.

Mithril 

Yeah, the ones I mentioned are both British :D

Mithril

Yeah, the ones I mentioned are both British biggrin.png

the music genre not the location.....Hell, David Hasslehoff is big in Germany but i didn't mention him did i ?... ohmy.png ...laugh.png !!

Mithril

back on topic, i see from the armaments these guys can take that marines will be shaking in their power boots... i know the points cost could be better served with another unit but hey...rule of cool and i just want a unit of these guys to wipe a marine unit from existence just for the hell of it devil.gif

also how many wpns can these guys fire in one shooting phase ???

Mithril

MCs can fire up to two weapons per shooting phase. I am planning a unit of 4 with 2 Data Smiths to run as an alternative to my Knights, together with Skitters.

4 Kastelans - 3x Heavy Phosphor Blaster/TL-Heavy Phosphor Blaster, 1x Heavy Phosphor Blaster/2 Power Fists

2 Data Smiths - Whatever the wargear section will say

630pts + whatever wargear I might buy in addition

In their regular FnP mode, this will be 21 shots, 9 of which are twin-linked, at BS3 with effective range of 42". Good for 1750+ games I think.

That does seem to be a nice build.  I'm not sure if minimum units will really be usable at all, given how vulnerable this makes them to losing their only Datasmith and therefore being unable to swap Battle Protocols.  You could take an extra 'Smith, but that only makes the small unit yet more expensive.

While we've spent some time comparing these to Knights, I've been thinking about how they stack up against other codex units, in particular the Onager Dunecrawler from their Skitarii peers.  A bit of math:

Kastelan Robot Maniple w/ 2 twin-linked heavy phosphor blasters and 2 carapace-mounted phosphor blasters = 12 shots at BS 3, 18 under Protector Protocols (doubled carapace-mounted weapon shots) for 4.5 or 7.5 hits, respectively.

3 Onager Dunecrawlers w/ twin-linked heavy phosphor blasters = 9 shots at BS 4 for 8 hits (9 hits when under a Doctrina Imperative that boosts BS)

Both units cost about the same, but the Onagers will have a slightly better Invulnerable save and mobility (Crawler rule) while the Kastelans can take a bit more punishment and can reflect fire back at opponents, in addition to being FAR more powerful in melee.  I'm having a hard time picking between the two; what do you guys think?

i'm not sure still, as the big stompy robots are cool but BS3 just seems like too little. I'm almost tempted to have them with base loadout of flamers and powerfists for some anti-assault.

If you compare them to 3 Dune crawlers with heavy phosphor blasters, they still get more hits, and have better survivability. 

The points are a 5 pts difference. 

My thoughts exactly, Vash. I'm not saying Dunecrawlers are bad (remember, Icarus Arrays and Neutron Lasers, gents!), but in terms of MEQ cleaning firepower and survivability, the Robots have a bit of an advantage.

So, interesting tidbit in the AdMech rumors thread: it seems one of the possible formations (grain of salt, and all that) is a Magos Dominus and two Kastelan Robot Maniples. Interestingly, the Magos JOINS the Maniples and gains the Datasmith's rules; might this also mean he'll grant them some nifty buffs? Just throwing it out there for consideration! biggrin.png

To be fair, right now I am more interested in the tracked guys biggrin.png

honestly, count me in that camp too, although both units will see my tabletop.

Dual camps... interested in Both biggrin.png

@ immersturm yes my Dream Load-out too wub.png

4 Kastelans - 3x Heavy Phosphor Blaster/TL-Heavy Phosphor Blaster, 1x Heavy Phosphor Blaster/2 Power Fists

2 Data Smiths - Whatever the wargear section will say

630pts + whatever wargear I might buy in addition

Cheers Mithril

Archived