Tactica: Imperial Knights (Blood Angels and Cult done)

This is probably a stupid question but can a single knight take more then 1 heirloom? I can't seem to find the answer.

No. Page 101 in the Codex states 'A model may take one of the following'. If you compare it to a book that allows multiple Relic, like Dark Angels, where it states 'A model may replace one weapon with one of the following', which allows you to replace one weapon and take Relics that do not replace anything.

In the BA allies section, you mention three variants of a BA army. I am thinking about trying the first one, the high mobility army. What knight would you recommend for that?

My choice would be the Warden, simply because there is no danger of scattering on your dudes. Failing that, anything but the Crusader will do. Why not the Crusader? Because it isn't cheap. It may work, but the least advantageous because it has a large blast that could hit you and because it is 50-55pts more expensive.

You also need to consider that BA want to get stuck in with the enemy asap. Too many guns on the Knight will see its potential wasted.

In short:

Warden > Paladin = Errant = Gallant > Crusader

But this is just as I would play it. If you have a solid battle plan, I will be the last one to speak against your choice, even if it contradicts mine ;)

Edited by Immersturm

I didn't even consider Warden. I was thinking Gallant or Crusader, but I will look at Warden. Any advice on how to keeping him alive long enough to be useful? In my experience, that can be a little difficult. I was thinking keep a Whirlwind near him to shoot any fliers and provide some infantry control, but that may not work too well. 

Or can the Warden take Icarus autocannons or something of the sort to defend himself? 

Edited by Ahazra Redth

I would keep it cheap and cheerful. You need a lot of other points for BA. Both other upgrades are cool for shooty armies, but questionable in melee builds. The closest thing to a recommendation I can give would go to the Rockets, but they are pretty expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you get the Knights to survive the charge of the Seer council?? And Stomp is great if you roll the 6, other wise it's just a str 6 hit, so not that fantastic, and your knight is probably already dead.

Am having a seriously hard time against the new Eldar codex, it's sucking the fun out of 40 k for me>:-(

I don't see Seer Councils as being too big a threat to Knights. Armourbane is nasty on paper but they are only S3 so will need to roll a 10+ on 2D6 to do any damage to the Knight. That is means only 1-in-6 hits will cause you any damage. Meanwhile although the Seers have an invulnerable save, it is only a 4+ and they are T3. This means they are a lot more vulnerable to stomping than Marines.

You will be wounding them on a 2+. They will fail half their saves and if a Farseer fails his save he will suffer ID. If the Seer Council really is causing you problems, you could ally in a Culexus Assassin to really spoil their day.

In the BA allies section, you mention three variants of a BA army. I am thinking about trying the first one, the high mobility army. What knight would you recommend for that?

My choice would be the Warden, simply because there is no danger of scattering on your dudes. Failing that, anything but the Crusader will do. Why not the Crusader? Because it isn't cheap. It may work, but the least advantageous because it has a large blast that could hit you and because it is 50-55pts more expensive.

You also need to consider that BA want to get stuck in with the enemy asap. Too many guns on the Knight will see its potential wasted.

I would not discount the Crusader as a fire-support unit for the BAs. BAs get some very shiny toys but they are not cheap meaning they are often out-numbered. A Crusader can split the firepower of his 2 main guns allowing you to spread the support quite widely.

Need to soften up a unit before the Blood Angels charge? Target them with the Avenger.

Need to hit that heavy support unit near the back that is raining fire? Target it with the Battlecannon (as long as it is at least 12" away from any BAs).

Want to take the last HP off a transport so the BAs can charge the squishy contents? Ironspear pod will do the job nicely.

The Crusader can bring a metric ton of AP3 to battlefield which is the one area where Blood Angels are not so strong. Against horde units the Death Company is a fearsome blender unit. Against really tough vehicles or MCs, the Blood Angels can bring plenty of melta and grav bikers to the party.

Using a Crusader in a fire-support role like this requires slightly different thinking from the usual approach of using the Knight's mobility as a weapon. Here the Blood Angels with jump packs and bikes provide the mobility and the CC punch. The Crusader hangs back more and provides covering fire to soften up the enemy for the charge and/or target units that are out of the BA's charge range.

One benefit of hanging back is that it makes decisions about ion shield facing easier as it will be harder for the enemy to flank you. You will still need to watch ouit for Deep Strikers though.

I didn't even consider Warden. I was thinking Gallant or Crusader, but I will look at Warden. Any advice on how to keeping him alive long enough to be useful? In my experience, that can be a little difficult.

Any shooty Knight will start making himself useful from turn 1, particularly the Crusader. If you want support from the Marines, both Librarians and Techmarines have much to offer. A Techmarine and 3 Servitors will be able to repair lost Hull Points on a 2+. Of course this is easier if the Crusader is not running forward too fast. A Librarian with Divination is a real boon to a Knight. Prescience will always get mileage as rerolling all those shooting attacks is never a bad thing and it is the Primaris. Of the other powers, Forewarning is nice for a 4++ save on all facings. The rest of the powers target the Librarian and his unit so are not as important but you can always guarantee Prescience.

Crusader sucks. None of the guns are worth 50 points AND a d slapstick.

A difference of oppinion that is easily resolved with magnets. ;)

Personally I think that for armies that are already strong in CC like Space Wolves and BAs, the heavy firepower of the Crusader is worth bearing in mind. The Strength: D only comes into play if you opponent brings his big toys to play. If you look at some of the strong lists at the moment, they are often based around infantry-heavy detachments/formations like the Battle Company. Lots of ObjSec boys in power armour and light transports but few big targets where Strength D shines.

What does everyone think of the Kauyon formations as support for knights? I'm toying around with a Castigator/Paladin/Warden baronial court at 1850 backed up by two Raptor Wing formations.