Allying with Grey Knights

Hey guys, venturing out from Titan and I'm considering bringing the Emperor's Hammer as backup. I'm looking to add a force of around 500-800 points, to give me a solid core of fire support while the GK go for the throat in melee. 

Never played IG myself, although I've fought them in every edition and I'm reasonably well-versed in commonly-seen units and combos. I have a couple of ideas I'm toying with;

- Russ spam: Are people finding AV14 skew lists (ie Armoured Company) workable? I love how cheap Russes are and their flexible weapon options. Pask is also very attractive as an Ally. 

- Heavy weapons: How do people go about taking a lot of lascannon and autocannon on the cheap? I like Heavy Weapon Teams but they seem a bit vulnerable to S6 hits (a fair amount of artillery and anti-infantry are S6/7). Do you embed them in Infantry Squads for the ablative wounds, or does that end up being less efficient then just taking multiple HWT's?

- Orders: I've always found Orders hilarious. They're like psychic powers but unique to IG and can be stacked with psychic bonuses. How do you hide your CCS/PCS effectively? Is a bunker a worthwhile investment?

- Anti-Flier/FMC tech: GK lack any effective means of handling such threats outside of our Ravens. How do people deal with annoyances like Nurgle Princes, Heldrakes, Vendettas etc? Hydras don't seem to be a popular choice these days. 

- Psykers: I love how cheap they are, and you can get a bunch of Master 2's packing Divination or Telepathy buffs hiding inside Infantry blobs handing out buffs like candy. How many is right? I'm tempted to field like 6. 

Cheers

I think for GK you'll want to make the most out of what the Guard can put on the table. A Platoon will go a long way and let you field plenty of troopers and heavy weapons. A squad with a heavy weapon can hold some ground and provide vital fire support to your GK for a modest price. Add orders in and they can be more reliable or pull some tricks. A CCS would be very useful, the best protection for them is being out of sight of course but that's not always possible so Chimeras usually make an appearance here. Enhances the order radius too which is handy.

You could go tank heavy, but GK have enough model count problems without adding to that. Vendettas are good but you pay for it, Hydras are a bit underwhelming sadly. As for psykers a couple is normally fine, I imagine you'll use GK for most pyschic stuff though?

Guaa few primaris psykers rd will be great allies for your Grey Knights. In fact there aren't any space marines that can't benefit from guard allies, save chaos and Space Sharks (to my knowledge). If you're battle brothers there are no real limits. That said, I think that having a couple of primaris psykers would be helpful, but don't over do it, there are so many things in the IG codex that are useful, beyond the psykers. I'd spend those points on unit upgrades for guardsmen. Orders are great for adding effectiveness to units, and do much the same kinds of things that Psykers do, I'd focus more on using psykers for direct combat as artillery.

Hey guys, venturing out from Titan and I'm considering bringing the Emperor's Hammer as backup. I'm looking to add a force of around 500-800 points, to give me a solid core of fire support while the GK go for the throat in melee. 

Never played IG myself, although I've fought them in every edition and I'm reasonably well-versed in commonly-seen units and combos. I have a couple of ideas I'm toying with;

- Russ spam: Are people finding AV14 skew lists (ie Armoured Company) workable? I love how cheap Russes are and their flexible weapon options. Pask is also very attractive as an Ally. 

- Heavy weapons: How do people go about taking a lot of lascannon and autocannon on the cheap? I like Heavy Weapon Teams but they seem a bit vulnerable to S6 hits (a fair amount of artillery and anti-infantry are S6/7). Do you embed them in Infantry Squads for the ablative wounds, or does that end up being less efficient then just taking multiple HWT's?

- Orders: I've always found Orders hilarious. They're like psychic powers but unique to IG and can be stacked with psychic bonuses. How do you hide your CCS/PCS effectively? Is a bunker a worthwhile investment?

- Anti-Flier/FMC tech: GK lack any effective means of handling such threats outside of our Ravens. How do people deal with annoyances like Nurgle Princes, Heldrakes, Vendettas etc? Hydras don't seem to be a popular choice these days. 

- Psykers: I love how cheap they are, and you can get a bunch of Master 2's packing Divination or Telepathy buffs hiding inside Infantry blobs handing out buffs like candy. How many is right? I'm tempted to field like 6. 

Cheers

Heya! Imperial Guard ready to serve.

- Tank Squadrons (and Pask) definetly need protection and that means a 30+ conscript blob with a priest as a meatshield. Otherwise they die to CC or melta pretty fast.

- HWTs are considered weak, even in an all infantry list. Consider them as weak paladins with low LD and you know what I mean ;)

- Orders are juicy but to use them effectivly you will need some blobbed up Squads (3+)  with heavy weapons and some sort of moral support. This is getting expensive and synergy is greater the more blobs or units you have, so it will be difficult with expensive allies as GK. "Small" orders are still useful  but for tank/monster hunter and ignore cover you need the CCS. Chimeras are a way to go but they useful as rhinos if taken solo. Bunkers make for static play but okay I think. I hide them in a ruin and hope for the best, give them sniper rifles or a lascannon and keep your head down.

- Noo ne takes hydras. Go Vendettas. They can also drop the puri-bomb.

- Primaris psykers are super good, look at their stats (armed with power axes) and then their costs. Problem is to keep them save, I stick them into a blob for protection.

All in all, guard relies on synergy and redundancy. I find it allmost impossible to write an ally list around 500 points. I would suggest a blob with ranged weapons  (auto cannon / grenade launcher OR lascannons) or with CC loadout (axes on the seargents, some krak grenades) a psyker and a priest and a second cheap conscript blob with a priest. PCS into cover and a lord commisar for the conscripts. Vendetta or Manticore to have some independend, heavy hitting fire power.

GK can then focus on assaulting while the blobs do objective sitting and board control and eberyone is doing what he can do best.

Archived