new exclusive HH anthology - Meduson

Atia

Normally, I'd agree with y'all, but I'm a sucker for the White Scars and any Terrans from the old Legions (Crixus, for example).

So, I'm cool with this. 

There a big difference inbetween the Iron Hands (a legion who's scattered forces still amount to 2/3rds of the legion) and the shattered legions.

The Iron Hands did not get a pre Isstvan novel and the only a pretty fail depiction of they primarch just before the massacre.

I for one want more action for a legion who still has a tremendous fighting strength and the stability of a loose cannon!

There a big difference inbetween the Iron Hands (a legion who's scattered forces still amount to 2/3rds of the legion) and the shattered legions.

The Iron Hands did not get a pre Isstvan novel and the only a pretty fail depiction of they primarch just before the massacre.

I for one want more action for a legion who still has a tremendous fighting strength and the stability of a loose cannon!

the Iron Hands did get PoV chapters in Fulgrim ;)

censored.gif YEAH! Saturnine Terminator plate!

This needed to happen a long time ago.

hmmmm

via Drake Seta, battlebunnies:

Pyre Warden: They have an assortment including Combi-Bolters, Rocket launchers and Plasma Chargers. Some also had triple barrelled Autocannons and Volkite Culverin.

Back mounted: missiles, Lascannon, Heavy Bolter and Conversion beamers.

They are Vulkan Wrought and were pulled from the battle line just before deployment at Isstvan 5, as he was worried they would fall into enemy hands.

They sound . . . Awesome.

Volkite Terminators?!?!!? blink.pngdrool.gifdrool.gifdrool.gif

Totally agree with this. The Iron Hands have been woefully represented so far in the Heresy. The short stories have been terrible on the whole, the only one I have really enjoyed was Riven. The last time the Iron Hands had a decent story written about them was their small part in Fulgrim, and even them Ferrus was written like an imbecile.

Angel Exterminatus and Damnation of Pythos depict them almost exactly like their 41st Millenium brethren, when they are actually vastly different in their beliefs. I'm not sure why BL authors have such a hard time accepting this.

And surely someone can come up with names that are more original than Meduson (Son of Medusa) and Bion (Bionic)? I mean, I know Ferrus Manus is just as bad as names go, but as the Primarch he should be the execption, not the rule!

Im pretty sure the Iron Hands lost significantly more than 1/3rd of their Legion. According to basically every source I've seen on Isstvan V all of the loyalists their were shattered "beyond large-scale operational strength."

Im pretty sure the Iron Hands lost significantly more than 1/3rd of their Legion. According to basically every source I've seen on Isstvan V all of the loyalists their were shattered "beyond large-scale operational strength."

Yeah, the ability to deploy in large-scale operational strength was lost because despite it's still considerable size (anywhere between 60,000-80,000 Legionaries), the internecine nature of the Clan structure meant the Legion fragmented into myriad individual factions.

Massacre is the only reliable source on the Xth Legion's disposition IMO, as it's the only tome which actually has an express purpose to codify the Legion's strength & organisation

Did a quick and dirty attempt at giving it "colour". A shame they're, as far as we know, Salamanders (or at least shattered legion) exclusive. But then again it could just have been Vulkan upgrading a preexisting pattern or something. Regardless of the legion, they looked too good for me not to try to paint them.http://uplmg.com/data/IronSaturnine.png

Well, I'm hoping that along the same lines as Gorgon-pattern TDA just being a variant of Indomitus plate, the Pyre Warden's armour is modified Saturnine TDA, so all Legions'll get to benefit from its awesomeness - however, I hope that wouldn't be at the expense of losing the top-mounted weapon, which is rad

Did a quick and dirty attempt at giving it "colour". A shame they're, as far as we know, Salamanders (or at least shattered legion) and Alpha Legion exclusive. But then again it could just have been Vulkan upgrading a preexisting pattern or something. Regardless of the legion, they looked too good for me not to try to paint them.

;)

Yeah, the ability to deploy in large-scale operational strength was lost because despite it's still considerable size (anywhere between 60,000-80,000 Legionaries), the internecine nature of the Clan structure meant the Legion fragmented into myriad individual factions.

Massacre is the only reliable source on the Xth Legion's disposition IMO, as it's the only tome which actually has an express purpose to codify the Legion's strength & organisation

Did that many really survive? Pre-Isstvan The IH only had 110,000 marines, and while they didnt have as many men on the ground as the other 2 loyalists I figured the bulk of their casualties took place when their whole fleet got ambushed.

Well, only 2/3 of the Legion was part of the 52nd expedition which was involved at Isstvan V, and as far as I'm aware less than 1/3 were planet side - The Avernii formed the main force, with additonal, hand-selected reinforcements - I'd guess between 10,000-20,000 Legionaries. While only a handful of these survived, Conquest says that 'many' of the fleet which arrived in the second wave survived, so that leaves the Xth Legion with 1/2 to 2/3 of it's number alive - 60,000 to 80,000 apporximately

Well, only 2/3 of the Legion was part of the 52nd expedition which was involved at Isstvan V, and as far as I'm aware less than 1/3 were planet side - The Avernii formed the main force, with additonal, hand-selected reinforcements - I'd guess between 10,000-20,000 Legionaries. While only a handful of these survived, Conquest says that 'many' of the fleet which arrived in the second wave survived, so that leaves the Xth Legion with 1/2 to 2/3 of it's number alive - 60,000 to 80,000 apporximately

i don't have Conquest, so their could be something I don't know about in there, but the picture painted by Massacre and Fulgrim seemed to me like; 52nd Expedition fleet, consisting of "the bulk" (>50%) of the legion makes full speed to Isstvan while Ferrus takes the Ferrum and goes faster. Ferrus and his strike force of the Avernii clan all land as part of the beachhead force, and the rest of the 52nd lands in the main deployment in the drop zone. Ferrus and his beachhead al die at the fortress while the rest of the 52nd dies at the main drop zone with a couple stragglers. The rest of the Iron Hands (everyone not part of the 52nd, so <50% of the Legion) shows up to the trap in space after the betrayal is underway and many are able to escape. Leaving around 10,000-25,000 survivors. That's how I saw it, maybe Conquest has more info.

Well, first off, Massacre states a third weren't even there (those away from the 52nd fleet), so 40,000 Iron Hands weren't even involved in Isstvan.

The thing that I think you're misinterpreting is that the rest of the 52nd not part of Ferrus' vanguard didn't make planetfall, as they arrived after the trap was sprung - only Ferrus & his vanguard died on the black sands of Isstavan - quite a few of those who followed died in the void conflict, but the fact that they were ship-board meant that many did infact survive.

So of the 75,000 members of the 52nd Expedition, 10-20,000 died planetside, and then the number of second wave troops who survived is open to speculation, although they are supposed to have had a decent survival rate, as many forces just didn't engage the traitors, or retreated once they knew they couldn't win.

Even if two thirds of the 52nd expedition survived, that'd still leave a whole 60,000 Iron Hands surviving.

Well, first off, Massacre states a third weren't even there (those away from the 52nd fleet), so 40,000 Iron Hands weren't even involved in Isstvan.

The thing that I think you're misinterpreting is that the rest of the 52nd not part of Ferrus' vanguard didn't make planetfall, as they arrived after the trap was sprung - only Ferrus & his vanguard died on the black sands of Isstavan - quite a few of those who followed died in the void conflict, but the fact that they were ship-board meant that many did infact survive.

So of the 75,000 members of the 52nd Expedition, 10-20,000 died planetside, and then the number of second wave troops who survived is open to speculation, although they are supposed to have had a decent survival rate, as many forces just didn't engage the traitors, or retreated once they knew they couldn't win.

Even if two thirds of the 52nd expedition survived, that'd still leave a whole 60,000 Iron Hands surviving.

I guess that makes sense. Just seems not to line up with what we've heard about in the past. The Romans were 'shattered as a military force' after the battle of Cannae, 2/3rds casualties is not 'shattered as a military force and forced to sit on the sidelines for the rest of the heresy.'

I'm about two-thirds of the way through the book, so I thought I'd give everyone just a little bit more about the stories that I've read so far. I'm not going to go into too much detail, but I'm still going to put this in spoilers just in case:

Meduson - Dan Abnett

Captain Shadrack Meduson is thrust into the upper echelons of command in a post Isstvan V Legion dealing with the death of their Primarch and the scattering of their remaining Legion elements, and embarks on a mission of vengeance against a specific individual.

Unforged - Guy Haley

Salamanders on the surface of Isstvan search for a way off planet and away from the assault of the traitor legions.

Immortal Duty - Nick Kyme

Ahrem Gallikus of the Medusan Immortals is sent on a suicide mission, along with his repenting brothers, to board and destroy a World Eaters vessel.

Grey Talon - Chris Wraight

The Grey Talon, formerly a Sons of Horus / Lunar Wolves vessel, has been commandeered by contingents of the Xth and Vth Legions looking for vengeance against the Sons of Horus fleet, searching for loyalist survivors of Isstvan.

The Keys of Hel - John French

What are the 'Keys of Hel', and why are the Xth Legion determined to keep their Primarchs decision to never use this forbidden knowledge?

Deeds Endure - Gav Thorpe

A fleet comprised of Xth and XVIII Legions disagree on the method of attacking a World Eaters recruitment facility.

The Noose - Guy Haley

The Emperors Children set a trap for the remnants of the Xth Legion fleet.

Ohhh. I'm not a big Kyme fan, but how was the Immortal story? I really like the theme of those units and a short story focused on them sounds interesting.

I'd actually love to see short stories focused around those legion specific units, especially the FW created ones

Meduson, Immortal Duty and Keys of Hel all sound amazing. How flippin' typical that the one book I've wanted to read in ages is the one that is only available at Warhammer World for a premium price... I bet it will be years (if at all) before it gets a general release... furious.gif

Archived