How to equip Mechanicum Myrmidons?

Kilofix

For those using Mechanicum Myrmidons (Secutors or Destructors) - what weapons are you equipping them with and how effective are they?

For Destructors, I've found Irradiation and Volkite Culverins effective but Castellax can do the same job even though with fewer shots. I have more issues with TDA so I've switched to Grav Imploders. But I'm wondering if I should get a larger group and mix Grav with Irrad and / or Volkite.

For Secutors, I find their range too short with anything except Plasma Fusils, but then they're super expensive points-wise.

Thoughts?

It's true! Bolters can do the same job.

I stick with Volkites because of the edge in terms of a 40" range and strength 6. Combined with preferred enemy everything, BS5, and deflagrate you're looking at 2+ to hit and 2+ to wound in most cases with a re-roll on 1s. The effect on lowly armored opponents are really devastating- 12 bolter shots will put down x4 T4 models with 5+ saves. 12 Volkite shots will put down ~22 of the same models. 

Pretty sure the irrad engines do have the rad-phage rule that permanently reduces toughness. But like the missiles you have to cause a wound first so they're only useful vs multi-wound targets.

Anyone have any experience tooling up Destructors with Photon Thrusters? I'm thinking of converting up a unit but wanted to hear thoughts on how effective it might be first.

The Photon Thruster cannon, despite having Lance, is really not a great anti-tank weapon. It still needs 6's to glance almost anything. However, a unit of 3 would be throwing out 6 decent Str AP2 shots with Blind so this may be worthwhile if your common opponents have a lot of Terminators or the like.

You gotta weight it up against the alternatives, as they almost all cost the same points. Having established that their target audience is elite infantry, what else could they have to do that? Looks like the Graviton Imploder is also AP2, plus it wounds on the Armour Save meaning it's just as effective against 2+ saves whilst having TWICE the number of shots (Relentless on a Salvo weapon). Blind vs. Concussive is a coin-toss over which I'd prefer. Plus the Imploder is equally more or less effective against vehicles, too.

So, whilst Photon Thrusters would look fantastic, I can't help but feel there's a better choice for your unit.

• 5 months later...

This is a bit of an old thread, but I wanted to chime in in defense of the Photon Thruster.

Yes, a squad of them looks cool  and delivers 6 practically auto-hitting shots at S6 Ap2 re-rolling 1s. The lance is, as stated, practically meaningless at this strength, and you only inflict one Blind test that they will probably pass. The damage output would be impressive in 40K an edition or two ago, but not anymore and not in Age of Darkness. If you are looking for ranged AP2 firepower, for roughly the cost of 3 Myrmidons with photon thrusters, you can buy a Thanatar that has a large S8 AP2 plasma wave barrage, or two Castellax with Dark Lance cannons, where the lance rule is more useful. All of them can get enhanced targeting arrays to mitigate cover, which is something the Myrmidons cannot do.

If you want short-ranged AP2, there is of course the amazing Graviton Imploder. Ironically, here is where a Photon Thruster can shine the most if you are facing something that can actually survive a graviton volley, they will be concussed at Initiative 1 and extremely likely to fail their Blind Test.

I mean, if you have the points you could slap a Single Photon Thruster into a squad of Graviton Imploders on the off chance that it might come into play.

Archived