WIP Army List - Sons of Horus (600-1000 Points)

Joe

Hey ya'll.

I'm working on getting an army list viable at the moment for tabletop play, however I've been out of touch with 40k for a while so I'm struggling on putting a list together. I've managed to cobble a bit together so far (which will be part of my initial ETL pledge once the vehicle arrives), however I'm open to suggestions. I've thrown in a few comments here and there with some possibilities.

HQ

Captain Valus Targost (Legion Centurion) - 77 Points

• Artificer Armour (+10)
  • Bolter (+2)
  • Power Weapon (+15)
  • Frag and krak grenades

- An elite option to support HQ? Veteran Tactical Squad, with an additional x5 models and rhino transport?

Troops

Squad Aias (Legion Tactical Squad) - 205 Points

• 9 Legion Tactical Squad Marines
  • 1 Legion Tactical Squad Sergeant

• Legion Vexilla (+10)
  • x10 Combat Blades (+20)
  • Combi-weapon (+10)
  • Melta-bombs (+5)
  • Artificer Armour (+10)

Squad Kargon (Legion Tactical Squad) - 205 Points

• 9 Legion Tactical Squad Marines
  • 1 Legion Tactical Squad Sergeant

• Legion Vexilla (+10)
  • x10 Combat Blades (+20)
  • Combi-weapon (+10)
  • Melta-bombs (+5)
  • Artificer Armour (+10)

- Possibly bring in an additional five marines to each squad for increase firepower, as well as nuncio-vox? Or keep them at x10 models and take rhino troop transports.

- Take a Legion Tactical Support Squad with an additional three marines and x7 Volkite Caliver, combi-weapon, artificer armour and melta-bombs?

Heavy Support

Predator 'Fist of Vengeance' (Legion Predator) - 125 Points

• Predator Autocannon
  • x2 Sponsoon Lascannons (+50)

Total Points: 612

That's everything I have right now, I'm still fiddling with the list here and there. Cheers for any help in advance. \o

Hey here are just a few this I would personally change. I've bulleted them for ease :-)

I have never liked taking a Centurion without a consul upgrade, a Delegatus might be a wise choice so you can access to RoW. A Refractor Field is almost mandatory as well.

On your Sargeants I would drop the Melta Bomb and Combi Weapon and pick up a power fist so that they are able to challenge everything on the board a bit better. A single melta bomb is going to fail you when you need it most. At least with a Power Fist you have 3 attacks.

Predators are great in squadrons but are a bit lacklustre on there own. I would much rather have a Sicaran.

I would increase your Tacticals to 15 as a min, that way they are able to roll through another squad when they get into assault. If you do take a RoW Armoured Spearhead might help you get those tacticals into assault.

If you are going with small units, i suggest to take the delegatus and switch normal tacticals to veteran tacticals, maybe on a rhino. They can outflank if needed, or be tank hunters if equipped for that role, and they can still take the apothecarion if you want so. With up to 10 man squads, veteran works better than normal tacticals imho.

That said i think that below 1000 points sons of horus are really only viable as a drop pod army

Maybe something like this?

+++ Sons of Horus 1000pts (977pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (977pts) ++

+ HQ (127pts) +

Legion Centurion (127pts) [Artificer Armour, Bolter with only Banestrike Rounds, Refractor Field, Thunder Hammer]

····Consul

········Delegatus

············Master of the Legion [Chosen Duty]

+ Troops (555pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (285pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Sniper]

····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Auxiliary Drive]

····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, 7x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Sniper]

····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Auxiliary Drive]

····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

+ Elites (130pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (130pts)

····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Power Sword]

····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Power Sword]

+ Heavy Support (165pts) +

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (165pts) [Auxiliary Drive, Heavy Bolters]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XVI: Sons of Horus]

Yeah, play a little with the veterans special weapons, i've run full squads in rhinos (with no apothecaries obviously) armed with plasma guns, and they did some damage in a 1000 points game, especially since i had them outflank.

Hey all, thank you for the responses so far.

I'm liking the list you suggested Pastel, however I thought Legion Veteran Tactical Squads counted as an elite choice? Or have the HH books added in new rules that allow them to be taken as troop choices? I'm still leaning toward having at least one squad of fifteen to twenty tac marines simply for the overwhelming firepower.

My gut is telling me that one of the squads ought to take a missile launcher as opposed to a heavy bolter, but I suppose that's really what the Sicaran Battle Tank is for.

Taking anything more would push the list up towards 1500 points wise though, which might be an option once my finances allow for it.

Due to the RoW I chose you can take Vets as troops.

15 Tacticals would be nice and I think clocks in at the same points roughly. The reason for the heavy Bolter is for MC hunting if you play 30k vs 40k

The Apothecaries night be a bit OTT at this points level

Aha, that makes sense. Just read up on that in the book.

I was mostly angling for 30k vs 30k, as I know a handful of people locally that play as such. I'll keep the heavy bolter for now in that case.

Replace the apothecaries with a Contemptor Dreadnought? The additional armoured support would be helpful.

Mortis if anything just in case someone has a flyer, I cant suggest the Deodro because I hate that model ;-)

I, on the other hand, totally can!

So deredeo or contemptor mortis if you feel there are any flyer threats; beyond that, the deredeo offers you a slightly more versatile shooting platform than a Kheres c-mortis.

If not take a contemptor with fist & grav and a kheres. Fist can either be power or chain, up to you, for a more generalist build.

I would probably go for the Kheres as it can chew up troops as well as tanks and the added range isn't needed on a battlefield for a 1000pt game

True! But, pinning from the Ap3 Missiles is always nice in the event that they fail the test. That and you can shoot at 2 Targets.

Huge points cost though at 1k though

So is a Contemptor-Mortis with dual Kheres, they both cost around the Same points.

The Mortis is 40pts cheaper and at this points level it's hard to trim the fat to find those points but if you can then Slips is right get the Deredeo

Hmm, yeah, 40 points worth of extra marines or gear could be hard to trim..

Again, I don't mind going upwards to 1500. I wouldn't think flyers would be a problem below the 1500 mark, and if they are then I can just alternate one of the veteran tactical squads between heavy bolters and missile launchers, or drop the apothecaries and take a heavy support squad.

Although I'd have to knock off some points elsewhere for the HSS to be of any use, so it may be more practical to take a Mortis or Deredeo.

Archived