Warlord Titan tactics

depthcharge12

Hopefully the new marine codex comes with some strength D weapons...

But it already does, technically, through the Thunderhawk with a turbolaser and, if made 40k Legal, the Stormbird with infinite S:D Orbital Bombardments.

I think a huge theeqt to this is being surrounded by pathetic infantry (kroot or scouts for example). Blast and stomp away at them all you want, they will still deny you a turn or two of movement, allowing the rest of their army to pounce.

I think a huge theeqt to this is being surrounded by pathetic infantry (kroot or scouts for example). Blast and stomp away at them all you want, they will still deny you a turn or two of movement, allowing the rest of their army to pounce.

Well, with the maximum range on some of the weapons being 360" and the average being over ~80" I don't think you need to move all that much.

So, I figured (in battle scribe)an unbound 3000 point sob army can take 6 squads of 8 repentia sisters with dominatrix sister superior in rhinos, 5 canoness with rosarius and evicerators, 6 squadrons of penitent engines, all 3 per, except one with only 2.

Pretty much a suicide attack force, but it might work...

So, I figured (in battle scribe)an unbound 3000 point sob army can take 6 squads of 8 repentia sisters with dominatrix sister superior in rhinos, 5 canoness with rosarius and evicerators, 6 squadrons of penitent engines, all 3 per, except one with only 2.

Pretty much a suicide attack force, but it might work...

Lol any force that is sent is suicidal. When the Warlord goes nuclear, it'll likely take out anything in a 12" radius.

Well....the repentia will get an average pen of 13, max of 18...three attacks apiece on the charge...and they need what to hit?  Not the greatest choice.  I'd go for it if warlords were AV14...

I'm tempted by a warlord's points value in knight-lancers. 5 I5 SD attacks on the charge, and guess who gets a 5++ against the warlord's attacks?

Well....the repentia will get an average pen of 13, max of 18...three attacks apiece on the charge...and they need what to hit?  Not the greatest choice.  I'd go for it if warlords were AV14...

Did you account for the "[...] only hitting on 6s" and 5++ Invulnerable on top of the Av 15 (that you already took into account).

Oh, and D3 5" Stomps.

Tactical terminators with max chain fists in landraiders, or in those whatever those flying landraiders are called?

3 attacks on the charge, average roll of 15 for pen...

In trying to find black Templar option here in case you can't tell lol...

The fun part of this is everything's theoretical I've yet to see a reaver in my area. I feel that aircrafts might be the answer or other titans. Does the only hitting on 6s rule count for super heavys? If it doesn't then knights could work. How many could you fit for the price of the warhound?

Thought about that one, but you're getting max 8 termies, and it's worthwhile to make one of them a chappy to reroll those 5/6 failed hits...can your sergeants have chainfists?  Oh, and your chainfists strike after the titan...from that perspective, deathwing knights would be better, they get an average pen of 13.5, but at initiative.

Slips, 

I did account for the 6s to hit, did you miss my rhetorical question?  I didn't account for the 5++, but in case you misunderstood, I'm not sold on repentia because they're S6+2D6 vs AV15...

/edit/

ThatOne,

I got the impression that knights would hit on 5s?  Anyway, repentia work great against anything less than a warlord, and knight-lancers would make a mockery of them.

3000 points of Vanguard veterans with eviserators... Assuming they put them in the melee armory and vv can still take from that armory in the next Dex...

Now if they could take chain fists and storm shields...

• 2 weeks later...

Has the Warlord retained it's rules for a minimum range on it's weapons?

The carapace weapons have a limited range for normal ground targets, and a smattering of weapons have a minimum range too (like the Quake cannon).

since it cannot shot the carapace weapons in 24'' radius you just need to launch wave a fter wave of support squads with metaguns in drop pods, it won't be able to kill them all just with 2 arm weapons and stomp.

The carapace weapons have a limited range for normal ground targets, and a smattering of weapons have a minimum range too (like the Quake cannon).

since it cannot shot the carapace weapons in 24'' radius you just need to launch wave a fter wave of support squads with metaguns in drop pods, it won't be able to kill them all just with 2 arm weapons and stomp.

Y'all keep forgetting he has Armored Ceramite Stock, a 5++ Invulnerable, 30 HP, av 15/15/14 meaning unless your behind him your meltas ain't doing Jack. Not to mention if you drop behind him, you're probably near the rest of the players backfield Firepower and that those melta Squads would be better off dealing with things they can realistically tackle while you instead bombard the Warlord with S:D weapons.

How about a medusa squadron, 2 vindis and a glaive all working in unison and a lot of hope. The glaive gets 1+d3 separate hits so you could hope to pop 4 shields at very best, plus whatever it's sponsors could do, then 5 shells at str 10 screaming in desperation. Maybe.

Y'all keep forgetting he has Armored Ceramite Stock, a 5++ Invulnerable, 30 HP, av 15/15/14 meaning unless your behind him your meltas ain't doing Jack. Not to mention if you drop behind him, you're probably near the rest of the players backfield Firepower and that those melta Squads would be better off dealing with things they can realistically tackle while you instead bombard the Warlord with S:D weapons.

ah ah , whell then you can just strip the shields with planes and shot him with several neutron laser projectors you won't kill it but won't be able to shot pretty much anything.

A lignting with 3 multilasers and servitor control can strip all its 6 shields with some luck, deploy two and the shields are gone

How about a medusa squadron, 2 vindis and a glaive all working in unison and a lot of hope. The glaive gets 1+d3 separate hits so you could hope to pop 4 shields at very best, plus whatever it's sponsors could do, then 5 shells at str 10 screaming in desperation. Maybe.

*snip*

ah ah , whell then you can just strip the shields with planes and shot him with several neutron laser projectors you won't kill it but won't be able to shot pretty much anything.

A lignting with 3 multilasers and servitor control can strip all its 6 shields with some luck, deploy two and the shields are gone

The biggest, glaring issue to doing any of the things you've both described is range.

A Warlord will only ever see play on an Apoc. Sized Table and the Longest range any of the things you've mention has is ~60 ish Inches? While the Warlord can pummel you with S:D Shots from:

360" With the Quake Cannon and Missiles with the Vortex Support Missile going up to 960"

180" with the Volcano Cannon

with the rest of the Weapons Average Ranges being either 72" or 96"

And most of these Blasts are Large (5"), Massive (7"), Apocalyptic (9/10") or is an Apocalyptic Barrage.

The easiest way to deal with a Warlord is to Slam it with S8-10 to burst the Shields then Spam all the S:D shooting you've got at it afterwards. Fail to do that and you might as well say goodbye to large Swathes of your table sides.

To beat a Warlord, you need a Warlord or Multiple lesser Titans.

*snip*

The biggest, glaring issue to doing any of the things you've both described is range.

A Warlord will only ever see play on an Apoc. Sized Table and the Longest range any of the things you've mention has is ~60 ish Inches? While the Warlord can pummel you with S:D Shots from:

360" With the Quake Cannon and Missiles with the Vortex Support Missile going up to 960"

And most of these Blasts are Large (5"), Massive (7"), Apocalyptic (9/10") or is an Apocalyptic Barrage.

The easiest way to deal with a Warlord is to Slam it with S8-10 to burst the Shields then Spam all the S:D shooting you've got at it afterwards. Fail to do that and you might as well say goodbye to large Swathes of your table sides.

well it depends on what surface are you playing then, the neutron beam has 36" of range enough to hit everything in a normal table

*snip*

well it depends on what surface are you playing then, the neutron beam has 36" of range enough to hit everything in a normal table

Yeah, but a Warlord is 2750 points on its own without any Weapon Swaps.

So you tell me, with 30ks 25% LoW Limitation, you'd only ever be able to fit him in an 11k Points list. Does that sound like "normal Table Size" to you :P

You could use the leviathan chart to play with him at 3K huh.png

another tactic would be hordes of tainted flesh levy scum with rending, that would sure be fun to play

5" Stomps and only being hit in CC by such plebs on a 5/6+ and being unable to be locked in Combat would disagree :p

If you're using him in Leviathan at 3k and are using objectives, the Warlord pretty much Auto-loses unless he annihilates your side of the Board Turn 1 - something he can pretty reliably do with the Incendiary Missile Banks which are S6 Ap3 Primary Weapon 10, Apocalyptic Barrage, Ignores Cover and 2 Saturnyne Lascutters for S:D Instand Death Hellstorm Templates or Sunfury Plasma Annihilators.

Its pretty binary at that point.

Short of winning the lotto, or breaking the law...

That is a tough budget to swing...

Go with the old suggestion, wrap a five year old in foil and cardboard boxes, load him um with energy drinks and turn him loose on the table... It'll have about the same effect...

still thinking that the combo lightninghs-venators is the thing

ah and the fact that you obly hit at 6s is irrelevant since a 6 is automatically a rending, the problem would be to close in tough

Archived