Land Raider Sucks

elciedery

The problem with land raiders definitely is not meltaguns. I would really like them to be more resilient against haywire, grav, auto-glancing weapons and any other weapons that completely circumvent AV, especially since those are handed out like candy recently. We pay a lot of points for the high AV in a meta where more and more factions have ways to completely ignore it.

Just making it cheaper is not a good idea either, as it will make them too strong against armies that don't have such weapons everywhere, while keeping them weak against the current threats.

Something like a 3+/4+ invul against such weapons would go a long way I feel.

The problem with land raiders definitely is not meltaguns. I would really like them to be more resilient against haywire, grav, auto-glancing weapons and any other weapons that completely circumvent AV, especially since those are handed out like candy recently. We pay a lot of points for the high AV in a meta where more and more factions have ways to completely ignore it.

Just making it cheaper is not a good idea either, as it will make them too strong against armies that don't have such weapons everywhere, while keeping them weak against the current threats.

This is the most reasonable post I have ever read in an internet thread.

Kudos brother.

Given that Eldar tanks can buy a 5++ save for a grav tanks for just 15 points, I think that sounds a reasonable proposal.

The problem with Land Raiders is almost the exact same as Terminators back in 3rd edition.

I use the standard land raider as a long distance support. It's usually one of the single units staying behind mid table. Unless it's tau, some element of the enemies force has to come across the table, especially in maelstrom missions. I put either a strong tactical squad, or a countercharge unit like smallish death company with bolters in there, use the lascannons to take out transports for the drop and assault units, or force jinks, and have good success for it. It keeps me from getting tabled when I'm doing a drop or DoA style list, and we play with enough terrain for it to get cover.

I love the land raider. Is just important to be realistic about them. But 200 points for them wouldn't be bad, except for the fact that BA would be the last to be updated!

This is the most reasonable post I have ever read in an internet thread.

Kudos brother.

haha thanks, that means a lot :D

For just a few more points you can nab 2 tri-las predators though. I'd rather have that over a single phobos if I'm going for fire support. 

Glancing hits doing non-critical damage to a vehicle doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's not the same as having a rigid plate over a squishy person. It's a rigid plate over a rigid frame. It either beats your armor or doesn't. Things like being tracked, spalling, or engine compartment damage from fragments or light deformation of armor in that area would constitute a critical hit. 

No matter how many LR phobos I build, there is one sponson that doesn't face forward correctly. The two las cannons on the mount will be slightly bowed out and the sponson is pointing slightly off from forward. Meanwhile the other sponson is perfectly fine. I've tried swapping las cannons to different mounts but I think it's a problem with 1 mount. Am I alone in this?

Oh...

Guys, I just want to show you mine. I didn't expect this biggrin.png

I dont get why so many follow the construction guide for this kit making it so that any who disembarks from the side does so with the risk of getting them selves killed by there own lascannons. There is less and less logic in this game.

Stil a nice tank btw.

Oh...

Guys, I just want to show you mine. I didn't expect this biggrin.png

I dont get why so many follow the construction guide for this kit making it so that any who disembarks from the side does so with the risk of getting them selves killed by there own lascannons. There is less and less logic in this game.

Stil a nice tank btw.

Nah, the doors dont open when the lascannons are pointing forwards. Inbuilt safeft mechanism, dontcha' know.

From my own limited experience with Land Raiders, glancing hits aren't the main threat. The only time a Land Raider has been glanced to death was against a Jetbike Seer Council with 10 S9 shots.

What killed my Land Raiders most of the time though even in 7th were these lucky 6's on the pen damage table. A snap shooting Lascannon, rolling a 6 to pen, a 6 on the table and me failing my 4+ save left a pretty sour taste in my mouth :/

The weapon options are relatively fine on the Phobos in my humble opinion. It's more for later game assaulting while the Crusader and Redeemer can afford going up much sooner. Like someone said, the Lascannons with POTMS are great to debuff enemy vehicles ! 2 Heavy 2 weapons would be better, but when you roll like me you'll thank the Emprah for the twin linking :D

The Raider is a transport first and foremost though, it's fire output is decent but nothing to write home about.

The way the rules are right now, Land raiders should have dozer blades or ignore difficult/dangerous terrain altogether. They're big censored.gif ing tanks.

However I think GW should make terrain have different effects on different units. Tank traps should be difficult or even impassable terrain for tanks, but normal terrain for infantry (maybe even provide cover).

Razorwire should be dangerous terrain for infantry but normal terrain for tanks (maybe the tanks should even destroy the razorwire)

Minefields would depend on the mines.

They used to have rules exactly like that in 3rd edition regarding tank traps and razor wire... I'll look it up this weekend.

As for 7th edition brb, it says players must agree on terrain and it's effects before the game, so there is no reason not to make any sensible rules governing these objects.

As for the lrp. What if God hammer las cannon was "heavy rapid fire". So 2 shots at half range, would give a decent boost to dakka and would justify closing to unload an assault unit a bit more...

The way the rules are right now, Land raiders should have dozer blades or ignore difficult/dangerous terrain altogether. They're big censored.gif ing tanks.

However I think GW should make terrain have different effects on different units. Tank traps should be difficult or even impassable terrain for tanks, but normal terrain for infantry (maybe even provide cover).

Razorwire should be dangerous terrain for infantry but normal terrain for tanks (maybe the tanks should even destroy the razorwire)

Minefields would depend on the mines.

They used to have rules exactly like that in 3rd edition regarding tank traps and razor wire... I'll look it up this weekend.

As for 7th edition brb, it says players must agree on terrain and it's effects before the game, so there is no reason not to make any sensible rules governing these objects.

As for the lrp. What if God hammer las cannon was "heavy rapid fire". So 2 shots at half range, would give a decent boost to dakka and would justify closing to unload an assault unit a bit more...

That las cannon idea is absolutely a good one. Fewer shots at range when the vehicle is moving - picking targets carefully. Firing in a fury as you get closer - zeal, excitement, a happy machine spirit, whatever.

I love fielding my Land Raider Achiles. TL Multi Meltas and that horrible Thunderfire Cannon always make a good mess even if it does get immobilised.

Can us BA have one of those? Can't say i'm not intrigued! 

I've been pondering new weapons systems for imperial vehicles allot... Maybe I'm crazy but they seam obvious to me...

Like twin linked plasma cannons as alternative sponsons for landraiders... Or quad auto cannons.

Or my new personal favorite... Plasma storm battery... Aka hurricane style plasma rifles...

Man... I miss 3rd edition vdr...

Archived