De-assembling Figures

Joe

feel free to soak a piece of sprue or an old base in it for as long as you like

The fundamental problem, if you ask me, is that hardly anybody who asks questions on a web forum ever seems to think of just trying on some scrap material before asking.

To be fair some people are here to learn from the experience of others.

I'm all for experimenting - and by no means is any of this rocket surgery. My point is I can search / read a thread in 5 minutes and know whether if I should even bother to try soaking some scrap sprue in isopropyl / simple green / brake fluid / acetone / whatever your flavor is for 3 days to see if it melts or not. biggrin.png

Pop some scrap plastic in IPA then strike a match. Then it will melt... furious.gif

*disclaimer* Pay no attention to this man, he is a couple of marines short of a tactical squad, if you catch my drift...biggrin.png

I can search / read a thread in 5 minutes

Search and read, sure. Ask and expect to have an answer in less time than a quick experiment would take? You might; chances are greater you might not. (Which also brings up a second fundamental problem: people ask rather than search, even if you can bet it’s something that’s been asked and answered plenty of times before the world over.)

Pop some scrap plastic in IPA then strike a match. Then it will melt... furious.gif

I’m not sure it would. Polystyrene has a density of about 1 g/cm³ (depending on the exact type: low-density, high-density, etc.) while iso-propanol’s is 0.768 g/cm³ so the scrap plastic from a kit would sink, meaning the flames won’t reach it. Well, not until enough has burned away, and I’m actually wondering whether they’d melt it even then. But I’ve not tried smile.png

To be fair some people are here to learn from the experience of others.  

My point is I can search /  read a thread in 5 minutes and know whether if I should even bother to try 

The problem, of course, is mistaking "answers" for "experience".  Answers can be wrong, and often are - especially when presented authoritatively by people who just forward on what they've heard because it aligns with their beliefs.  Experience is absolute - if you try it for yourself and find out, no one can lead you wrong.

This is why we need to be very careful discerning what's an authoritative answer based on experience, or a supposition based on hearsay.  Hence, why I've made it clear that I've tried it myself, for prolonged periods, with no damage.

That said, I do not typically recommend isopropyl because of the volatile vapors.  Common sense would dictate not to use near an open flame or while smoking, but that's a scarce commodity nowadays.  Better to use something non-toxic, non-flammable, and not harmful to one's skin.  

Archived