How to use Night Lords effectively?

BruvaVolks

A friend of mine is very new to the Horus Heresy and has been playing Night Lords. Are there any tactics he should be using/a must buy unit he is missing? From what i can tell he is too dependent on Terror Squads. My Destroyers (I play Raven Guard, heavy usage of sneaky Destroyers) pretty much wipe them with a rad missile and bolters to wipe them up. He has also made usage of Volkite weapons, though they're not proving as effective as it would seem. 

Again, any tips for him? 

I too am interested in some suggestions. Terror Assault has some great bonuses but looks like it requires some careful list design.

Being able to take Legion Drop Pods for Terror Squads is good, but they have Infiltrate already, so they can probably get close enough to the enemy. Crunching the numbers on volkite chargers sees each squad killing 5 MEQs a turn; worth it! And with 3 squads required, you have a few scoring units at least.

The single Heavy Support slot is the hardest to figure out. You have heaps of anti-infantry, so anti-tank (like a Sicaran Venator) sounds crucial. But if you only have 1 tank on the board, it'll be targeted pretty quickly, right? Strangely enough, I'm tempted by a squadron of 3 Medusas, as they can even take down Spartans with their Strength 10 Ordnance.

Am I on the right track here?

If running Terror Assault a massive amount of thought needs to go into the anti-armour aspect of the army because you can guarantee you'll have to kill a few tanks and with one HS slot, your' skating on thin ice getting there. What's important to consider is what anti-tank options are available in the other slots. Scrub any ranged melta weaponry - armoured ceramite is far too easy to spread around to make it worth taking. Rapiers and Contemptors are where you're looking at - Storm Eagles suffer now that the Deredeo is a thing - it will mince flyers. For the HS slot - it's a simple choice between taking a Spartan and loading it Konrad and Raptors or a squadron of 3 tanks that can deal some hurt out. The one thing you won't need to worry about is anti infantry. 10 Volkite Terror Marines will eat through at least 6-7 Marines per turn and will do even more damage to Solar Auxilla/Militia. As for the HQ, Konrad or Sevatar are pretty much auto-take. You'll never get a Praetor up to their level for their points cost

Well said Balthamal. I had considered Contemptors with dual DCCW's and graviton guns! :) And everyone seems to rate Rapiers; would you reccommend quad mortars or graviton cannon?

As for Konrad Curze and Night Raptors... Love them! But they can't go in a Transport; only Infantry, not Jump Infantry or Jet Pack Infantry (p. 80 BRB). If I ran a Spartan, I'd probably put one of the Terror Squads inside with Sevatar, a Consul and an Apothecary, though that leaves a lot of room spare.

Is there any merit in taking a Kharibdys Assault Claw? 5 HP is tough, and you can Drop Pod Assault turn 1 (with a 3+ Jink save from Night Fighting). Leave Sevatar and the Terror Squad embarked upon it until turn 2, giving you a scatterless Deep Strike for your Terminators. Then they can disembark, unload a ton of shots and charge! Awesome model too. :)

What about taking a Deredeo of your own for heavy support? I love the Venator, no doubt, but it may not give you the high volume shooting and utility you need.

The Deredeos missiles can pin units in place for you to assault them and the auto cannons can take down AV13 quickly and even flyers as well.

Other than that, maybe even a three tank predator squadron? They're quite cheap and you can get 6 las cannons and 12 auto cannon shots for pretty cheap.

Well said Balthamal. I had considered Contemptors with dual DCCW's and graviton guns! smile.png And everyone seems to rate Rapiers; would you reccommend quad mortars or graviton cannon?

As for Konrad Curze and Night Raptors... Love them! But they can't go in a Transport; only Infantry, not Jump Infantry or Jet Pack Infantry (p. 80 BRB). If I ran a Spartan, I'd probably put one of the Terror Squads inside with Sevatar, a Consul and an Apothecary, though that leaves a lot of room spare.

Is there any merit in taking a Kharibdys Assault Claw? 5 HP is tough, and you can Drop Pod Assault turn 1 (with a 3+ Jink save from Night Fighting). Leave Sevatar and the Terror Squad embarked upon it until turn 2, giving you a scatterless Deep Strike for your Terminators. Then they can disembark, unload a ton of shots and charge! Awesome model too. smile.png

I'd take Laser Destroyers - much more reliable compared to grav cannons. If you do take a Spartan, take as big a squad as you can manage to go with it, anything else is a waste because you're not paying 300+ pts for a mobile fortress just for quad lascannons.

A Deredeo with a plasma cannonade could rain serious butt hurt down on anything short of a land raider and the ability to skyfire will be great too. Only downside being I'd expect to see Spartans/Land Raiders as a matter of course.

The Kharibdys isn't a bad choice per say but in this list your heavy support slot HAS to be an anti tank option - As deothcharge said, 3 dakka preds put out enough fire power for a cheap point return to be of serious consideration.

• 3 weeks later...
If your wiping him his night fighting rolls have gotta be pretty bad or your night vision rolls are perfect. If he's using the terror ROW he should be dishing out some half decent first turn pain. I assume he's using that as you mentioned a dependence on terror squads. Jet bikes and Night raptors might be considered support options, maybe some autocannon attack bikes and an eddy. That's what I'd do anyway

Archived