How do BULLgryns fit the Catachan theme?

unitron

I was thinking of a unit that would add some close combat punch and, possibly, also provide some cover/draw attention from regular catachans as they advance. It appears, that ogryns/bullgryns seem to do just that, plus I could add Deddog to my CCS who supossedly has some ties with Catachan and I think would be great gameplay-wise at the same time.

Question is, how exactly bullgryns fit the catachan theme? Because I`d prefer them over regular ogryns; the power clubs, anti-riot shields and armor, plus, IMHO, better gaqmeplay-wise when it comes to protecrting others. But, on the second thought, they`re more uniformal than ogryns who in turn are more querilla-like, thus better fit catachan theme and I want to keep my army`s theme. So, I can`t decide, you think bullgryns could spoil the catachan theme? You think adding some jungle camo to bullgryns would help them better fit the theme?

If you have a Commissar with them, the Bullgryns could be his body guard and have been 'up-armoured/equipped' because of the Catachan reputation for making their Commissars have 'accidents'.

Sorted :)

Catachan's are affectionately known as mini Ogryns when they have fought together (from memory there was something in a previous Comdex with this in).

IMO I think any of the Ogryn/Bulgryns will work fluff wise and also aesthetically will work really well.

I like Inso's suggestion. Aren't the Ogryn subrace known for their almost blind loyalty and obedience? Not as knowledgeable there as I am elsewhere, so that was an honest question.

But I am seriously loving that idea. You don't necessarily need to tie the Commissar to the Bullgryns on the tabletop to make it the fluffy purpose, either.

The suggestion with ogryns as commisar`s bodyguard would be very good, but i forgot to mention - no commisoars in my army! They go MIA on Catachan very quickly smile.png

EDIT: then again, you made me think bout adding a commisar to my catachans for the first time. Still, I`d like to stay away from commisars as much as possible though...

Keep it anyways. They are the Commissar's bodyguard.

But where's the Commissar?

Oh, he's around. He'll be back soon. And don't you dare tell those Ogryns differently.

You can always use the gas mask-less heads on the Bullgryns to make them feel more guerilla-like. Paint their armour like you would one for one of your tanks and there you go: one camouflaged Bullgryn ready for the jungle.

Also Conn, the Ogryns are known for their loyalty. Dogged loyalty. Have a friendly-faced trooper lead one into a Chimera with some rations and then you have an Ogryn in a can laugh.png! Wouldn't want to be that guardsman, though. The big guys get motion sick.

Ogryns and Catachan get along famously, if anything you might have to justify why your Catachan army doesn't have them :lol: It doesn't matter if they're given ripper guns or slabshields as an Ogryn's an Ogryn :) They also look good in camo:

gallery_30308_3239_1689.jpg

So, what are you waiting for? Go get some Bullgryns! :D

Ogryns and Catachan get along famously, if anything you might have to justify why your Catachan army doesn't have them laugh.png It doesn't matter if they're given ripper guns or slabshields as an Ogryn's an Ogryn smile.png They also look good in camo:

gallery_30308_3239_1689.jpg

So, what are you waiting for? Go get some Bullgryns! biggrin.png

Sweet looking Bullgryn! I haven't seen many outside the normal standard blue paintjob.

That does look VERY catachan...except for all that heavy, sweaty armor...He wouldn't last three hours, especially once the bugs get inside the armor where he can't reach them...lay their eggs subcutaneously, the larvae start feasting on his innards...bad way to die.  Love the paint scheme, but I would go with the standard ogryns if fielding Catachans.

• 2 weeks later...

@warriorfish: that armor is beautiful.  Usually camo is too subtle and gets lost in the sauce, or makes models look less sharp, but yours is just right.  What colors did you use?

As for how they would fit, if you have mad green stuff skills, you could buy ogres and give them combat boots and grenade launchers.  Personally, I think the ones in the picture are perfect.  Alternatively, you could give each one a bug lamp on his shoulder. 

Thanks Antaeus, the scheme is of my own devising though I won't pretend it wasn't mostly the result of chance :P The colours used are Vallejo Green Grey, Vallejo Brown Violet and GW Chaos Black. If I remember right, the two Vallejo colours are from the Flames of War US Marine paint box.

For some conversion ideas you don't have to go far, SW1 is converting up a storm on some old metals :)

There are a few options for collecting Ogryns on mass.

First up there's buy the new kit and then source extra bodies/legs. Should work out cheaper than buying loads of boxes and then having spare arms.

Next up is get a box of new plastics and the WHFB Ogre box of 6 which I think are cheaper than the 40k box. With a bit of chopping and filling you've got 3 Ogryns and 6 Bullgryns for less than the price of 2 boxes of the new kit.

Then there's the slightly more expensive option which is take the very serviceable old OOP metal Ogryns and atleast give them a head swap (really hate the horned helmet ones which is the head I have the most of). If your feeling a little more adventurous weapons can be swapped out as well.

I'm looking to do a mix, however I'll probably skip the WHFB option as I'm looking for mainly the sweaty vest look which doesn't really match them.

@ WarriorFish - First finished GS'd Bullgryn pics will be later tonight. ;)

Archived