Surf's up! - diorama completed...comp. won!

Kierdale

Not helping the stereotypes there Ulrik tongue.png Perhaps you need to visit one of these north European beaches to find out? My advice is to bring sun cream, a hat and shades and I hope you like sand in your shoes msn-wink.gif Kier always provides images of the competition - they're really very good albeit inferior to Kier's contributions of course...

I can't think of anyway this could be improved. Hmm. Well, I suppose at this stage adding a commissar relaxing (his hat still on, of course!) with a cocktail is too much to ask? laugh.png

Thanks WF, I can only go off of the pictures I've seen. I would definitely have found out first hand if they hadn't cancelled my orders to Germany (jerks...). It's on my to-do list most assuredly. As far as being ignorant on some things, yes, I am, but I acknowledge that I am and try to rectify those failings. Come to think of it, I have seen pictures of one sandy Northern European beach, but I'm not sure that there's been any swimming there since June 6th, 1944. Ah well, where there's one, there's bound to be more...

Also, what shoes? I don't need no stinking shoes on the beach... And a hat? The whole point of the beach is to get some sun...

Ah but a commissar never takes his hat off.

If I were to add a commissar to the diorama, considering the troops are Catachans, I'd have to have him buried up to his neck in sand.

Wait a minute...

I do have a spare Mordian sergeant head...

Could be done...

Should be done?

As for photos, I'll take what I can. I probably won't be there on the deadline day (I'll submit my diorama beforehand) but all should be on display for a month or so afterwards so if I visit again I can snap some shots.

At the moment there are about three other entries in the Large category (against my IG Punisher).

3 others in the Squad category too (against my jade-masked Daemonettes).

And I think two others in the Single category (against my Slaanesh CSM sorcerer).

...and none in the Summer category!

I'd rather not win by default, so let's hope for some before August 30th.

Good point.

Actually, with the drunk swinging his chainsword about, it might look a bit too much like the commissar was decapitated...

Better save the Mordian head for a Creed conversion or a Chaos trophy tongue.png

• 2 weeks later...

I heard the Beach Boys in my head the instant I clapped eyes on it! I think that says it all! :P I love the dead men and watermelon plus the sea's swell is very good. Is that some Asahi in the crate for a bonus? I don't think you'll need any luck with this one ;) It's very different but that only makes it stand out more, I hope to hear good news back soon :tu:

I heard the Beach Boys in my head the instant I clapped eyes on it! I think that says it all! tongue.png I love the dead men and watermelon plus the sea's swell is very good. Is that some Asahi in the crate for a bonus? I don't think you'll need any luck with this one msn-wink.gif It's very different but that only makes it stand out more, I hope to hear good news back soon thumbsup.gif

Damn, that is just what I was going to write - Beach Boys. The Commissariat thinks as one or is there a heretical psyker playing with our minds...

Good luck Kier. Don't forget to give us an update as soon as you can.

Clearly the Emperor spoke to us, not unsurprising considering the commissariat's unmatched piety and dutifulness ;) Next time I'm down the beach I'm going to get a water melon and a cricket bat and find out what all the fuss is about :P

Thank you very much for the comments and votes of confidence smile.png

There are a lot of things I would like to have added. After the Beach Boys comments I slapped myself for not having quickly GS'd up a ghetto blaster! sad.png

I put the diorama in the competition today and, by chance, someone else was there with an entry for the Summer category too! That makes two entries.

I've made a folder in my Flickr for the photos I took of all the entries for all categories: HERE

Of the single minis I think the Dwarf will win. The froth on the beer in his helmet alone is so wonderfully painted. I've seen his work (okay, I've completed against his work) before and he's great.

The newest entry in the large category, the Skaven one, is great close up and will likely take that category.

Of the units, I really like the Berserkers. My photo in the above album does not do them justice (my son wanted to leave the store and was chewing on my leg. Literally).

As for the Summer category: the fishing trolls are really nice. One's fishing line is caught around another's hand for a nice touch of comedy, and they're really well painted. If I lose to that entry, I wouldn't mind at all.

Results on the 30th!

• 3 weeks later...

And the result is:

Good news! thumbsup.gif

A win!

You can see Warhammer Harajuku's gallery of all 20 entries here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.616300618513178.1073741830.542543972555510&type=3

Winners:

Hidden Content

Single: Fat warpstone-drunk skaven warlord

Squad: Khornate berserkers

Large: Skaven ratogre thingy

Summer: Catachan beach party

Thanks all!

I especially like the asahi reference...but yebisu is much better!

I especially like the asahi reference...but yebisu is much better!

Basically I chose Asahi as doing the can in the chainsword-wielder's hand silver was easiest and I figured the cans, with 'nama' on them would be easily recognisable.

Personally I prefer Sapporo. :)

I'm told there the forth category for the Autumn painting competition (likely start of Oct to end of Dec) will be 'Autumn'. I'm was worried if they'd continue the idea what with only two entries this time.

I'm not sure I can come up with/have anything 'Guard' for an Autumn theme though.

Thinking 'Autumn' and 'Japan'...autumn leaves...book reading...eating....Halloween...

Archived