Steel Host Formation

Gpsman

I have heard a lot about the Steel host formation for the Astra Militarum (Tank Commander, 3x Leman Russ Squadrons and 1 hydra) and they all get preferred enemy and some other special rules.I was just wondering if anyone has used this formation and if so is it any good?

I've fielded it nce,against a chaos list of mainly nurgle marines and lots of tzeentch deamons and belakor. The added boost is great,but it still did not work out for me in this particular game. i think it's a great add on to any imperial army as well,as it doesn't come with a troop tax,but it's an expensive allie as well...i would only play it in games where i can get atleast another 500 pts of troops

Agreed. I was waiting to chime in until someone with experience said something. I play stormtroopers, so I need allies to plug the holes in my codex. I use Elysians and regular IG, for that, but sometimes that's just too many points, or I don't need extra infantry, that's where the steel host comes in. I can get exactly what I want, and nothing I don't. 

Archived