Imperial Guard Formations

OK, so several times I've heard of an apoc formation that's a PCS and two heavy weapons squads. I cannot seem to find this anywhere. 

Is this actually a thing, because if it is, I'll do that for my heavy weapons.

i believe you're refering to the imperial sword heavy weapon company, which consists of 1 company command squad and 10+ heavy weapon squads...

the lowest model count normal infantry formation is the catachan ambush patrol (1 infantry platoon, 1-3 veteran squads), followed up by the imperial shield company( 1 company command sqd, 3 infantry platoons)

It's possible, I'm asking about it the way I heard it, so maybe the person that mentioned it was wrong. I appreciate the info, and I think that's too much to try and field in my small force. 

I've read something similar, Ulrik. I tried to google it, but nothing showed up. But for what it's worth, the guy at the GW store in my area said that unbound lists are for doing what you want. Even though HWS' are part of a different troops choice, as long as you pay the points for them, you can field them in an unbound list.

Yeah, the problem is, you can't do that, because even in an unboud list, you'd still have to take the whole platoon, because you can't purchase HWS separately from the platoon structure. Also, unbound negates the command benefits of your other detachments, so all of that wonderful objective secured would go away.

Then the GW employee doesn't understand it. Unbound doesn't supersede codex build rules. That's my stance on it. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know the codex, just to say that that's not allowed. 

I've double checked and the entry is a command squad and 10+ HWT's. It's not a normal formation instead it's an Apoc Formation.

The old guard codex had HWS's which were command squad and a certain number of HWT's.

Archived