Starting IG army for first time since 4th Ed.

Azzagorn

I've made a decision at the ripe old age of 31 that I wanted to get back into the hobby. So on my birthday I went out and bought a couple of models just to get me started and pass the time while I play with lists and finally make a decision on where I want my Army to take me.

What I currently have:

Lord Commassiar with Plasma Pistol, Power Sword, Carapace armour and Deadmask (couldn't resist that 4+ invul save)

And 1x squad of Vets with Krak grenades, Vox Caster and a Melta (though to be fair these guys arent assembled yet so that will most likely change)

Oh and I have one random Tallarn trooper which I got from ebay after misreading the tag line.

I am currently mulling over buying some more shock troopers and Turning them Vet (So I can get playing) or just waiting and slowly build an army. Would quite like to throw in some Orgryns or Scions and a sentinel squadron.

Anyway thanks for reading (if you did)

Regards

Azza

I didn't play IG in 4th ed I played SM but the SMs ended up being casualties of moving house and pet cats and clumsily moved wardrobes and most are smashed. The few I have left (a Rhino, Razorback and few assault marines Tacs and a Captain) Don't amount to much.

My IG are having the same colour scheme had my SM army did (Purples and Blues). As for a theme at the moment I want to focus on infantry and getting those guys balanced right before throwing in some Elites and fast attack. So I guess you could say quick striking, counter attacking type army.

I picked IG mostly because I have never played them also it allows for so much customisation with Allied detachments and the like that it in theory will never get boring.

Sounds like it's the start of a good army. To help you work through the painting which is a big part of guard (so many models) why not join our merry band of painters in the ETL ...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/306921-e-tenebrae-lux-iv-astra-militarum-strategium/

;)

You have litterally hours to catch the boat. Well ... 9 hours actually.

okay, lets get you started:

-the commissar: drop those points on him! first rule of the imperial guard, we're squishy! so don't invest too many points in 1 single character, in fact, try to ommit character upgrades as much as possible...thos points eventually amount to a lot, and that means those points are waisted

-Troops! as you said you'll want an infantry heavy force to start. in that case i would recommend getting the following:

-cadian defense force (wait, when did they stop the old one with the sentinel in it?anyway, this one is still good money for what it offerss, and it's almost 10£ cheaper than when you buy everything solo. if possible get two of these boxes, this comes in at 200£, which is quite a lot of money, but it'll give you a very well balanced force to begin with! with the content (and the unit you already have) you will be able to build:

company command squad

2 veteran squads in chimeras

infantry platoon(PCS, 2-3 infantry squads) °if you include a heavy weapons team in each unit you'll free up 12 additional bodies, allowng you to make another infantry squad and 2 regimental advisors/commissars/whatever)

2 leman russes (how about a tank HQ? either way, get magnets for these guys so you can swap their loadouts)

this should amount to about 800 points, get some more units and you'll have a 1000 pts force easely!

now as for theme, read this articles, it explains in depth on how the imperial guard work, and how a regiment is organised:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Guard_Regiment

this can (although with many players it doesn't) influence how you will paint things, for example you could paint your whole force as a single entity, but you could also decide all your leman russes are belonging to the tallarn  armoured regiment, while your veteran*insent 3 digits*ths and infantry belong to the cadian *insent 3 digits*th infantry regiment, allowing you some variation in paint shemes.

if you're interested in playing them as tallarn(you should, the biggest tank battle in history was fought there! ;) ) you might want to check out this tutorial:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/258201.page

i've tried it myself on one of the clamppack models and found it a very easy and good looking conversion.

I also recommend to read this article before building anything!:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

learn it by hearth, it should become your modelling bible! ;)

welcome to the fray trooper!

Welcome to the B&C and back to the hobby Azzagorn :D Things have changed since you last played but not too radically, there's a lot of good stuff to read here in the barracks that will set you on the right footing :tu: Vet armies work, but you need to make the most out of their special weapon options.

You can create a WIP topic here to report the progress on your army too :)

I would love to put up a WIP thread but the picture upload button on the mobile verison of the site isn't there and I am buggered if I can see it on the desktop verison of the site. Maybe I am just blind and a little slow today though.:D

Advice:

1.  Tanks!

2.  More tanks!

LOL...just kidding...you need a minimum of two veteran squads, but realistically, even if you're going armor-heavy, you want 4-6 of them, and if you're going with platoons instead, obviously you need a lot more, since it's 25+ models per FOC slot...which is a wordy way of saying you need a lot more infantry and a few more tanks, just to get off the ground.

To be honest the heavy support options at are a lot of fun. I could always throw in some Wyrvens and Hydras as a little bet of AT support. Haven't thought that far ahead however on my break I have just assembled my vets.

Vox, Grenade launcher and Kraks.

As someone brand new to 40k (and Games Workshop generally) in 7th edition, it appears to me that the Wyverns were probably made OP as a marketing gimmick to sell new models. That being said, I want six of them! However, next codex, they might be adjusted to a more reasonable points cost.

I'm an infantry addict. My tanks are chimeras, and I use Taurox primes for more anti armor punch. My army consists of a Stormtrooper platoon, a Stormtrooper squad, 3 vet squads, 2 chimeras, a CCS, a Valkyrie, a Vendetta, 2 heavy weapons squads (for subbing into vets, and CCS), and 2 Taurox Primes. 

I like vehicles that could be seen as airmobile, as my army is mountain troops. I'm in agreement on the points, the more points you spend on character upgrades, is less models you field. The Guard aren't as character driven as Space Marines (loyalist and traitor flavors), Eldar (regular and dark), Necrons, and Orks. A single plasma pistol or power weapon could buy a scion, a powerfist can buy 2, not to mention how many vets or regular guardsmen you can get for those points. A plasma pistol will buy 5 conscripts! Even I'll agree that the guard's best tactic is to drown the opponent in corpses, yours if necessary.

Before I forget, Welcome!

Wyverns are certainly strong, but you really can't go wrong with the majority of armored units in the IG codex. Pretty much every Russ pattern has a place, and with Tank Commanders available you can go hog-wild with a fully armored list if you want. As for infantry, as Ulrik demonstrates above it's best to "go big, or go home." You won't gain much benefit from a couple minimum Infantry Platoons; if you want to use IG infantry, you'll want a lot of them. The painting and modeling aspects can be a bit daunting, but the results look great and you'll still have plenty of points left over for some armor!

Long story short, your best option is to collect what you like, and try to build a legal detachment you can start playing with ASAP. Pick an HQ you like (your Commissar can work as a Lord Commissar, if you want), get a couple Veteran Squads (and probably Chimeras), and take them to the FLGS for some Combat Patrol games. There's a lot that's changed between the last few editions, and I think absorbing some of that will really help you appreciate the flow of 7th ed 40k.

In either case, welcome back to the hobby and the Guard! happy.png

I'd start with an army command squad and 2 basic infantry platoons (each with command squad and 2 infantry squads) (one command and two troop choices)

Once you have that core of troops, you can add upto 6 more infantry squads, 10 heavy weapon squads and 6 special weapon squads (so plenty of troops for no extra cost on the army chart).

Once you have your core of troops, then you can diversify where ever you like :)

(That's all I have to offer... but the strongest house is built on the best foundations... and troops are the foundation of the Astra Militarum because without the troops, the tanks will have no support).

@Inso thats my plan of attack though I intend to use Vets for a large chunk of my Infantry.

I have drafted a list of 750pts but need to edit it has I use Battlescribe and when it copied into word its kinda hard to read. :|

The beauty of standard infantry is that you get a lot for the points and the amount of space they take up on the army chart (big platoons for a single choice, rather than ten vets for one choice).

I'd still suggest having the core basic infantry (even if it is a single platoon) so that you have the option of heavy/special weapon/conscript squads... and then you can max out with vets to your hearts content. An infantry platoon just broadens your options (especially if you want to go infantry heavy).

I look forward to seeing what you have come up with :)

Archived