Hi there,

I've been lurking on a few topics for a long time.

Let's start with a little background. I started 40k around 1999-2000. I was 15 at the time. I built, sort-of painted and played models up to 2008. Then I moved to Toulouse, in a small flat, where I did not have room for that hobby. So I stopped. Well, I tried on and off, buying figs just to have figs (for example, some blodd angels).

A year and a half ago, A colleague of mine proposed that we build a 500 pts army. I chose Necron (don't worry, I know the rules). Quite rapidly, I went back to Space Marines. And I started two armies. Grey Knights and Red Scorpions. My previous Space Marines army was black and red, and I wanted something else. Lighter.

As an aviation enthousiast, I must say that flyers in 40k always attracted me. So to show you my work, I'll start with a Stormtalon.

The Stormtalon did not please me. The Nephilim did ! But it's almost twice as expensive. I looked around on Internet, and found a few solutions. I choosed to move the engines.

15173116024_0581c125d9_n.jpg

15791215111_1da5de582f_n.jpg

Wings are still a bit small, but I find the overall look of the Stormtalon more pleasing this way.

I magnetized the thing so I could change the weapons according to the needs. I still need to finish the painting... One of my greatest flaws.. smile.png

Unfortunately (for my bank account), this first "success" encouraged me to go a bit further. I'll tell you more about it in a future post... But, teaser: it's bigger than a Stormtalon...

Thanks for the support.

Vel'Cona, you might be right... And maybe a bit wrong...

I'm focusing on aircraft. I really like the idea of air support. To my mind, I see the StormTalon as a Predator with wings (and less adamentium).. All I need is a Land Raider with wings...

And I'm being either mysterious or crazy ! Time will tell. Maybe tomorrow !

The reason I started lurking here was a Google search. I was looking for some inspiration. And oh boy, did I find some.

Like I said above, I was looking for a bigger player for my army. Something that could be the Land Raider of the air. The SM codex already proposes the Storm Raven. The look and feel of this bird is fine (although a bit strange... I'd admit)... But my eyes often get lost on Forgeworld. 

You guessed right, Vel'Cona. Storm Eagle. But I cannot afford the FW model. So I looked at other ways. (hence the google search). I knew it could be done with a Storm Raven kit. I just needed a few examples, a few directions... 

But I came across Subtle Discord's topic. Oh boy. Here's my inspiration. More like motivation: do try. 

Bought a Storm Raven kit, bought some plasticard, and let's go!

First question is: how big. For that, I used paper (with a 5mm grid).

15612595947_dd78c68305_n.jpg

I also have a Storm Raven which help to determine the size of the beast.

Once I got something I liked, I used the paper to cut-out the first piece. I applied the same method for the sides.

15612574167_5b79da21c4_n.jpg

For the sides, I chose not to cut an exact fit for the part where the landing gear bay is, at the rear. I cut another piece for the transition between the GW kit and the extension to be hidden. Easier, and I felt that the extension would feel less like... an extension.

I decided to build the interior as well. I want to take my time with that model, and, in my opinion, that implies putting a lot of work in it to make it as gorgeous as I can.

So I started furnishing the place... Here's a bench:

15612868620_d665312db8_n.jpg

As you can see on the picture, I added a few magnets for further application. More about that later.

I added three LEDs and a cable connection, to light the interior.

15177780904_d61d2fb651_n.jpg

I'll dim the lights someway, once the interior is painted.

I'll make more pictures of the interior.

As it's a big project, there's a lot of work on the outside too. Here's some work on the fins:

15795811251_9ceb397794_n.jpg

15178243133_debaf99bd4_n.jpg

For the lateral fins, I used brass to fix them. The trick is to drill four holes with the same angle (a small piece of plasticard will help).

I figured: the Fire Raptor and the Storm Eagle are not so different. Both models are interesting, and magnets are my friend!

So why not make a model that can be both with a small transformation?

But that's for another post.

Last pic, with a black primer:

15795793651_874d7e9c4f_n.jpg

WOW! cool.png That's a great conversion, right there! Don't get me wrong, I love FW's take on the SE, but this really takes the cake for custom builds. And it lights up! Since you haven't listed a chapter, mind spoiling for us your color scheme for this beast?

Thanks for the feedbacks, guys !

@Thousand Eyes: I have the same philosophy, hence the primer pic :)

@Vel'Cona: I'm going for Red Scorpions, but in a really light grey version. It's actually closer to an illustration in one of the Imperial Armour Books. Latest figs were shown on FW with a dark grey scheme. I do not want something too dark. Here's a Centurion I painted (WIP):

15650245418_68363e2d7d_n.jpg

As promised, here are two shots of the interior... Drawback of the black primer: it's a bit difficult to see anything.

18211815308_2c660f3dd1_n.jpg

(click to enlarge (opens in Flickr))

18211902500_5075e114a3_n.jpg

(same here)

It should make more sense once I start painting those. But I'm not quite finished yet. I want to add more details.

Hi there,

Just a side project that spawned from the Storm Eagle. I always found the 360° views on GW's website interesting. Of course, it would be better with a 2 axis mouvement, but that is trickier to do.

I came upon a tutorial and a website that allowed you to create them.

But first, I needed a few things. I got a turning plate  (a famous swedish company seems to call that a lazy susan).

Since I'm making an aircraft, I thought that a landing platform could be great. I bought some cardboard, from which I cut squares (13cm (5.12 in)). 

18551272602_54d6ba5f23_n.jpg

I printed a Aquilla and used it to carve it in two of the squares:

18368072730_4ac5c78cf7_n.jpg

Then painting, of course...

17935064913_42b5504f8d_n.jpg

I immediately did a quick test, and here's the result.

As you can see on the test, the plate is bent. That is because of the glue I used. It was even worse than that, but I used glue on the other side in an attempt to even it.

What do you think of the result? :)

Cheers !

Hi guys...

Until now, most of what I show was old work. Now, let's show you what I'm working on right now...

As I said, it wouldn't take a lot of work to transform a Storm Eagle into a Fire Raptor, should you have a simple kit to do the trick.

Right now, I'm working on the side turrets. I must say, although I like very much most of FW's work, I'm not that fond of the turrets they propose on the Fire Raptor. So I elected to go with sponsons.

But first, the transformation. The side doors are not needed for the Fire Raptor. However, the doors are too close to the front of the aircraft.

The first pieces I built were fuselage pieces to replace the doors, and provide support for the turrets.

15177757334_5a69538568_n.jpg15177755644_1e6e72675a_n.jpg

(Those I did some time ago too...)

I started to build the weapons last week. I used a piece of the SM vehicle sprue to make the targeting thingy on top of the turret. Right below it, a tube (brass) and a magnet.

18528995996_676720569a_n.jpg

Then I started to build the never-enough-bolters option. Which meant I had to get my hand on 8 heavy bolters. Or make them.

I used a model, built a 3D version on some software and started to cut pieces. I used 5 layers. The center layer is 1.5 mm thick. The other four are 0.75 mm  thick.

18368048880_cb3fd32bc1_n.jpg

And quickly enough:

17935034013_0aaed04510_n.jpg

They are not all exactly identical. I'm not precise enough, yet.

And after that, I assembled them to a central mast, with hydraulic thingy to get a working look and feel.

18528987096_7912e8c0cf_n.jpg18557412521_fc02945986_n.jpg

And in place on the aircraft:

17934739943_15905412c0_n.jpg

What do you think guys ? Do you like the turret ? 

It's definitely less pricey, and that's good enough for me.  That said, it's really impressive the level of detail you're getting from a partial scratch build.  I think the turret looks great!

Thanks, guys... I really appreciate your comments!

@ Deathspectersgt7, I wouldn't go that far, but I appreciate the compliment ! :)

@ Vel'Cona, I do try to add a lot of details. I figured that this beast could be the central piece of my army. All the more reason to take my time and add as much detail as I can.

The real test will be the painting. I'm not that good, and I'm in the process of learning all those techniques. I really want to make it beautiful, and I don't want to mess it up with a crapy paintjob.

But I'll test the painting skills on a Vindicator, and maybe I'll also test them on the Storm Talon or the Storm Raven.

@ HardCoil, thanks for the comments. The picture I took of the heavy bolters do not show the imperfections. But they exist. Maybe I see them because I made them...... who knows.

I think it's time for the Fire Raptor to get a main gun.

Archived