Heavy:

Predator w/Heavy Bolters, Magna-Melta, Aux, & Ceramite 170

Iron Havocs w/ML, Augg 215

Fortification:

Wall of Martyrs: Vengeance Weapon Battery x 2 150

Wall of Martyrs: Defense Emplacement 40

2500 pts

Thoughts?

This feels like a gunline list but looks not like a gunline list if that makes sense.

I would drop the Mortis in favor of 3 Laser destroyers and the predator in favor of a Legion Medusa or basilisk, add a Vox to the tac squad (drop the extra ccw's) with the points saved and maybe some more terminators or another artillery battery if you can.

Hope that helps!

You need more bodies. You are hurting if anyone actually gets to you. A drop pod list will give you a beat down I think just due to your lack of numbers. I took out a regular marine army that attempted something similar to this. We were done third turn. I had more close in firepower than he had return shots after my volley. Believe it or not 20 man tacticals are not unstoppable. I have more squads dropping at 2500 points than you have squads on the field and that doesn't even count flyers and jump troops.

One Mortis is not going to cut it.

That said, I too have a IW list which is all terminators and a havoc in a fort squad. I also brought mass heavy vehicles. Caestus, land raider, Spartan, and a Rhino for the havocs with a launcher that people tend to ignore. Its easy to ignore my term squads when I have big vehicles to sponge up fire. Your army doesn't have any bullet sponges. The pred and contemptor will be taken out pretty quickly, and then its just a matter of killing your guys.

As someone who knows your army, I would be concentrating on the Tyrants and only throwing a few odds and ends at your vehicles. A melta support squad in a drop pod costs about the same as your contemptor. I can drop it in your rear or side arc, bye bye contemptor and what little AA you have. A 135 point flamer squad can(and has) wipe a cataphract squad, although more likely just to hurt it badly. BTW a flamer support squad in a drop pod is one of the best things in the legion list at taking out eldar bike squads.

If I were to add more bodies, what would you recommend?

Is it better to split up tactical squads into two units and add rhinos?

What would you drop?

What do you recommend as a bullet sponge?

Go with A cheaper fortification for one. I just bring a basic bastion and let Kyr turn it into av15. Makes for a great pillbox. 20 tac marines is pretty good, they are cheap and look like the most resilient thing you have with the apothecary with them. You have options though, Fire Raptors are excellent aircraft and hardish to bring down. A lightning is easier to bring down but carries more firepower than any other aircraft short of a vendetta.

You need some way of getting your guys to objectives. In Maelstrom missions you almost autolose with this army. Maybe instead of a Fire Raptor, go with a Storm Eagle and carry some troops. Spartans are pretty badass as well. For an extra thousand you can bring a Primarch and his pet Shadowsword :P

I love support squads. I use them in every single army build I have except oddly enough IW, but my IW have a different approach to things on purpose to make them different than my Night Lords. (my next army will be an Alpha Legion infiltrating army). So look into maybe fielding a couple squads in rhinos or something bigger. Most people hate when a 5 man plasma gun squad pops out of a rhino next to some MC. Like I said, flamer squads are deadly and the cheapest unit in the army.  I think you have pretty good anti armor. I would look into plasma support, flamer support or maybe another full tac squad. Also with knight being so prevalent these days, I find powerfists for sergeants to be invaluable.

It seems hard to fit everything you need in an army, something to deal with troops, tanks, hordes, aircraft, etc....

Is there a system you use to have a balanced list?

Yeah that's the fun part of 30k. Never enough points unless you go over 2k points and even then. Below that you have to bring certain things just to be effective which eats away from. Best thing I have come up with is A: know your meta. You know what other people bring. I have elder and marines(various flavors)  in my neck of the woods with one guy with IG and nids armies. Build your list to suit that. Have a lot of flyers(I don't, bring AA) , hordes? (flamers, 270 points nets you 10 flamers and 2 rhinos/drop pods) and like I said, they devastate jet bikes and terminator squads too. AV, well the IW are more than sufficiently equipped for this purpose. The temptation is to buy lots of crap and add ons. Don't. I bring melta bombs as standard on almost any squad leader. I don't add them to support squads however. That's the only standard add on I do in any 30k army. I add powerfists to assault and tactical squads for dealing with wraithknights. 

B:Its 30k, everyone is assigned as chapters and there are tons of chapter, grand companies, battalions, etc. As cliché as it sounds, build your army fluffily to what you envision your company to be. For example, I wanted a siege assault army for my IW. I knew I wanted heavy vehicles and terminators. I liked Kyr also so I knew I would need a fortification and decided havocs in the fort would work nicely since my tyrants would be walking up the field. So a land raider and a Spartan for transport for my two standard cataphract termy squads. Figured I would need some sort of anti-air which the havocs sort of supply, not a fan of str 7 missiles but oh well, they do get tank hunter. But I also wanted a heavy hard hitting aircraft so I brought a Caestus in case I want to transport a squad if its maelstrom and it has a large blast melta template, and it can ram. I also brought a rhino for the havoks figuring it could go hold objectives that were open.

Fluff in 40k doesn't work. In 30k as long as it isn't too extreme it does. My Night Lords remain undefeated with their Terror Assault/orbital assault RoW and I couldn't have a fluffier force. Cant say the same for my IW but they have won more than they have lost and they look great rolling across the field.

What have you found to be a good unit to stick Kyr in?

Do you think 10 man tacs with Rhino's would be better?

Or Keep 20 man and put support in Rhino's?

How do you equip your Havacs?

Can't say I want this to be supper competitive, but don't want to get rolled by turn 2.

Also, want things that look cool, If I'm going to drop money on 30k want to make sure it looks cool too.

What RoW do you like for IW?

I use Pride of the Legion for my IW.

Kry I believe is equipped like the generic Praetor FW sells, just add a servo armo if memory serves. I bring him more for a support role than I do as a combat character. I don't think I have ever gotten him into combat.

I doubt we will see him to be honest. They haven't even put out the IW primarch yet.

I give my Havocs missile launchers. Theres a lot of krak in my army.

Rhinos would serve support units better allowing them to get to shorter range where their special weapons will be more effective. If you have the points, the launchers are a great add on to give just a bit more firepower, but not an auto-include for sure.

I like the idea of having a super heavy, is there any that stand out to you?

I like the stormblade for the damage it can put out.

Plus with the command upgrade if I roll it into middle of the board, and pretty much all units are good.  Then that saves me points for Vex's on each unit

I like the idea of having a super heavy, is there any that stand out to you?

I like the stormblade for the damage it can put out.

Plus with the command upgrade if I roll it into middle of the board, and pretty much all units are good.  Then that saves me points for Vex's on each unit

For 2500 pts can you not field the Primarch and a Shadowsowrd? That's like getting 2 for q in terms of LoW slots. The only thing I struggle with here, is that Shadowsword is better to be kept at long range shooting that volcano cannon, while the primarch and his squad need to be in combat, or else they'll get blasted. A friend of mine suggested that you can simply disambark the Primarch's squad in the beginning and just stick it into a Spartan or something, but it sounds like you will be wasting turns and losing your time advantage. When i make the IW list, i am tempted to do that sort of thing with Perturabo and Shadowsword, but I will be fielding about 3-4K points army though, not 2500. 

Archived