That guy part 2

After reading all the stories about "That Guy"  I thought it would be nice to reflect on some of the people who are a joy to play with.  The people who you would pack up your army and head on down to the store in a heartbeat people.  Let me begin.

I'll start with my friend we'll call him Jess.  He is a Salamander and Tyranids player, who helped me learn the game as I was starting.  Even though I still got my rear handed to me starting out I never let it bother me cause we would have fun forging a narrative of the battle.  To this day if he asked if I was down for a game I would always reply with a yes.

This dude named Steve in Columbus, OH taught me how to paint for free one evening at the GW store.   A whole bunch of little tips improved my painting just between my first few miniatures.

Also, I have an unsubstantiated opinion that people who like Salamders tend to be awesome.  There are some chapters that seem to be crab traps for cliched ideas and I think people who like Salamanders have a good eye for something more refreshing.

My entire gaming circle :) We all enjoy the game in the same way. Games are friendly, sometimes crazy but competitive enough to always stay entertaining. We have leagues and tournaments that are far from the more official affair but we bring our sneaky and strong lists to them. Even then the games are played in exactly the same way.

If you can find such a group of like minded individuals it's gaming nirvana - I just wish we had the time to play more often. Life gets in the way, which is very rude if you ask me!

There are a couple of friends of mine that I loved playing against. I can count on one hand how many times I've won against one, and I've never won against the other. They taught me everything, helped me learn how to build lists. 

There was one other, that played Orks, that I'd love a rematch with.

My current group is pretty great too, they're mostly new to the game, but they seem to enjoy it.

I have one really good gaming buddy ... 'Lord Sondar'.

Both of us are at the same point in our lives, married with kids and not enough hobby/gaming time. We meet up almost every Thursday night with the aim of some form of game. We used to stay up till 2 or 3 in the morning getting a game of 40k in. But now tend to limit ourselves to a board game or x-wing or card game which we can get a few games of in before midnight plus the wife will also join in. We're hoping to possibly add a few extra gamers to the mix at some point soon. :)

My friends are a great laugh to play against, which is a fair bit of the reason why we're friends! We often house rule a lot of stuff and convert up silly things for fun. For example, I'll have a game against my friend's house-ruled Deffknight, and I'll bring my army-load of heresy. Makes for fun games as long as neither of us takes it seriously, (which we don't.) 

I'm lucky in that there's quite a few I play with that are just awesome.

There's one that has exactly the same mentality as me when it comes to gaming, as well as a similar sense of humour so we have some good banter and smack-talk.

There was one game we were playing as part of a campaign where I was trying to break through a defensive position held by his forces. Over the course of the campaign, one of my named characters had gone toe-to-toe with one of his several times, but each time it had been a draw - with the game ending before one of them had died. Well, just as my Land Raider was about to smash through his fortifications, he drops this character in behind me, going for my squishier units with that damned ap3 flamer item the traitors have. I do a u-turn in the LR and steam straight for the guy so we can finish our duel. It cost me the game - and my character lost that fight, I think - but it was great fun and that moment has stuck in both our heads. When that character eventually died, he was as sad to see him go as I was - although that was mainly because he wanted to be the one to finish him off!

I think we should have a positive equivalent of ":cuss" - suggestions on a postcard please :D

My own feeble suggestions:

The Awesome Dude (TAD)

The Hobby King/Queen THK/Q

Gamemaster General (GG)

I enjoy the moments when both players push for a fight to happen, not because it's tactically advantageous, but because it'll be fun/funny. This is why I often charge things with my Conscripts, because with a Priest in tow they can have some hilarious moments of heroism.

Also, I believe t'internet has decreed the positive version of That Guy to be This Guy, though I always think of it as, "This Guy right here, eh?!" 

This Guy is definitely the positive, as that is used to point out something at a distance, which where you want to be compared to "that guy". Conversely, this is used to refer to something in your vicinity, which is where you want "this guy" to be. 

My current gaming group is pretty fun, we get together play a few games, have a few drinks, banter, since we make a day of it, we usually cook some good food (last time we did a low country boil) and it's a nice relaxed atmosphere. 

BTW, Coffee, that avatar is pretty creepy...

Archived