Psycannon size, what to do..

So I am not sure how everyone feels about the size of the psycannon but I feel it is really too large.

I am making an inquisitor in TDA equipped with a psycannon. I am using the grey knight terminator kit and really am not impressed with how clunky the weapon is, and that it 'really' only fits on one arm, which when modeled crosses the chest. There really isn't a great shooting arm for it either because of its size.

I can honestly say Ive searched forums and really haven't come up with an alternative. If anyone has some recommendations that are a bit more suitable let me know. I thought maybe of converting a normal termy heavy weapon or maybe making it smaller. But the idea is that the way it's modeled is how it should be.. So I don't know

I must admit I prefer the look of the old GK metal termy wrist-mounted psycannon. Only slightly bigger than the stormbolter - and on a nice outstretched (shooting pose) arm too that doesn't obstruct the torso.

The plastic version looks awkward, is just too massive and I don't like its associated ammo magazine.

Cheers

I

Based on this thread, I got 2 old metal GK termies with Psycannons to use for my inquisitors. I plan on getting some Grey Knights termies and a couple dreadknights for a small GK force, and the Inquisitors seem like they'd go well with that.

Pick another GK Terminator Arm and have fun with the Green Stuff! I hated the static pose so that's what I did for my Inquisitor in TDA. Cut up some sprue and glue it into the hole of the Psycannon then Green Stuff from the sprue piece to the forearm. Simple happy.png!

As for the size, can't help you there. Well, maybe. Cut off the sight and barrels of a Storm Bolter and then glue the barrel of the Psycannon onto it. Then, use some Green Stuff and maybe a low E guitar string to make cabling and attach it under the armpit.

Yeah I have been tinkering with some ideas. If I wasnt ocd about things being 'balanced' composition wise, and had made room for it I would convert up a small shoulder mounted one. I will have to fiddle with stuff some more.

Hey mate, thought this may be of interest to you.

Here I’ve taken a Dark Angels Assaultcannon push-fit model and shaved off the iconography. I’ve kept the hand-hold bit for the weapon but trimmed of the assaultcannon, cut off the gun-tip part of a psycannon and attached at the end.

As you can see I’ve cut off (real hatchet job tbh) the DA shoulder pads and replaced with GK once, as well as removing all the dangling swords, etc. Placed a tabard to cover the unslightly mess.

Right hand is also a GK terminator arm, as I wasn’t able to repurpose the original although you might. It’s a GK staff hand, with extended shaft at the bottom and pinned a hammer on top.

Good luck with your conversion smile.png

Hey mate, thought this may be of interest to you.

Here I’ve taken a Dark Angels Assaultcannon push-fit model and shaved off the iconography. I’ve kept the hand-hold bit for the weapon but trimmed of the assaultcannon, cut off the gun-tip part of a psycannon and attached at the end.

As you can see I’ve cut off (real hatchet job tbh) the DA shoulder pads and replaced with GK once, as well as removing all the dangling swords, etc. Placed a tabard to cover the unslightly mess.

Right hand is also a GK terminator arm, as I wasn’t able to repurpose the original although you might. It’s a GK staff hand, with extended shaft at the bottom and pinned a hammer on top.

Good luck with your conversion smile.png

No more of a hack job than tying to convert a Push fit DV terminator Sgt into a TDA Rune Priest, and then back to a DA Termie SGT.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very similar issue when I was trying to build stormbolters for a couple of Sister Superiors.

You would have thought that something as common place as a storm bolter wouldn't be that hard to find. An while I found plenty of examples I also found that the size of a storm bolter varies greatly in relation to the size of the model that it comes with.

The smallest stormbolters were the wrist mounted ones on the old metal GK TDA models... yes, that's right those were smaller than the ones on the GK PA models for the same time frame. A noticeably different size too. The largest one was the one that came with the Immolator, which was almost 30% bigger than the one that came with the Landraider.

In total I found about 8 different sized stormbolters in the range.

So I set out to make my own using what bits I could find. My first attempt was to use 2 bolter which ended up being longer than the stormbolter from the immolator and almost 90% the size of the model who would be holding it... one handed. It looked ridiculous.

I finally settled on using 2 bolt pistols, which ended up being slightly shorter and a little wider than the bolter the Sister was holding originally but not significantly wider than the model's arm. It also came out to be slightly smaller than the ones carried by the sisters but you couldn't tell without close scrutiny.

I would recommend crafting your own psycannon, but instead of looking for psycannon bits, I would look for pistol bits that you could pair up and modify slightly with green stuff. Maybe try 2 plasma pistols, file them down so that they fit together, add a little green stuff to cover the plasma coil on top to make that smooth, and then add a small ball of green stuff for a barrel.

That should look different enough to not be confused as a plasma pistol, but be bulky enough to look like it could be a heavy weapon, without the mass that the other psycannon's have that make them look dumb on your model.

If you don't like that look check out some pistols from other ranges that could be modified in a similar way. I am always amazed at the creative use of bits people come up with when they don't know what that bit was supposed to be.

I'm thinking about a conversion of the FW Hector Rex model for a TDA Inquisitor. I wanted to equip him with Hammer and Psycannon and thought about bulking up a random Bolter for the Psycannon (the german translation of Psycannon is Psybolter ;)).

Archived