2000 pt WBs - Zardu and Vitamin D(aemon)

depthcharge12

So some of you may have seen this in the WB tactics thread but I'd like to post the list idea here. The list is more high risk, high reward depending on how the summoning goes and how well RNGesus distributes favor :P

While there are minimal daemons, they are meant to be summoned via Zardu Layak and to facilitate an allied Bloodthirster :devil:

"The Heavens Wept Blood and Fire"

2000 points

HQ

Zardu 275

+ Blade slaves

Centurion 105

+ AA, combat shield, power axe, burning lore

Troops

10 Ashen circle 340

+ 4 power axes, sgt w/AA/1 phosphex bomb, dark channeling

10 Ashen circle 340

+ 4 power axes, sgt w/AA/1 phosphex bomb, dark channeling

Fast Attack

3 Legion Attack bikes 135

+ 3 auto cannons

Anvillus drop pod 100

Heavy Support

Sicaran 175

+ Lascannons

Sicaran 175

+ Lascannons

Daemon allied detachment

HQ

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage 275

Troops

8 Bloodletters 80

This list is light on actual model count but can pack a punch - it even has a D weapon (D thirster) at 2000 points! The plan would be to give Zardu the malefic powers and the centurion the biomancy powers. The drop pod can come in first turn and Zardu can immediately start summoning other daemon units next to the enemy and hopefully using cursed earth if he gets the power, unless he can't summon within the pod (I am not super familiar with that rule). The centurion is there to tank hits for the Zardustar and give biomancy buffs when the unit enevitably charges the second turn.

The Bloodletters are there to eat marines though they'll likely die to bolter fire and such, but hey, not bad for 80 points.

The thirster with his D axe and the two buffed ashen circle units are meant to fly up the field, though the AC can deep strike and chuck templates all day like Kanye West :P the D thirster will fly and hopefully evade most shots directed at him till he can bury his hatchet into something nice like a Spartan, super heavy, or what have you.

The Sicarans are there for medium tank threats or for multi role usage, but you guys know that by now. I feel that the autocannon bikes will be sleeper hits as they gain the WB rules, are quite decent in cc due to extra ccws and attacks, and have T5. The autocannons can harass anything they feel like and are meant to be low on the radar, but do quite well.

What are your thoughts for this with all the new WB tactics?

The Daemon Codex won't let you field 8 Bloodletters - 10 is the minimum size unit (unless you're playing Khorne Daemonkin, but that isn't available as an allied detachment for Word Bearers). Also 10 Bloodletters won't last long. I find they always get shot off the board well before reaching combat unless you take absolutely loads of them. But having a Bloodthirster with a D-weapon as a distraction may help with this. I've always had more success with Daemonettes if I want to assault stuff. Their rending makes them better against everything other than power armour. And even against power armour, Bloodletters can still be tanked by that sergeant with artificer armour. Because they don't have power swords, for some reason people see Daemonettes as a lesser threat than Bloodletters, so with fleet and +3" run, they might actually do something other than soak up bullets.

But if you're planning on using Zardu for summoning, why not field a unit of Pink Horrors instead. Try and hide them on an objective in cover and ideally out of sight. Go to ground at the first hint of shooting to mazimise the use of re-rolls on their saves. And go for units of 12 or 16 to maximise warp charge generation. Sacrifice (make some Tzeentch Heralds) and Possession (turn one into a Lord of Change) are golden on these. And if Zardu dies (and he will with just two bodyguards and a Centurion) or doesn't want to disembark from his transport (can't summon if you're inside the drop pod), you can always summon a few more Daemons using the Malefic primaris or what ever else you rolled. Otherwise just use them as a fairly durable warp charge battery for Zardu and/or the Centurion.

Also I'd give the Centurion a boarding shield rather than a combat shield. This gives Zardu's unit defensive grenades for the loss of one power axe attack. It's a shame you can't find the points for some normal Gar Vorbak rather than the Bladeslaves, since an extra suit of artificer armour and 5+ more wounds will add a lot to the survivability of the unit.

Finally, I'd seriously consider giving the bikes some meta-bombs.

Can't Daemonkin count as the Daemon Codex? I believe it says that anyone that can ally to Codex Daemons can do Dk instead.

I think the bloodletters are a bit of a cheap yet dangerous throwaway unit. I'd rather have the enemy shooting at them instead of the expensive Ashen circle. I can also always summon more.

The Bloodthirster, while not able to assault and kill a Spartan first turn, can definitely do so second turn, or more importantly, threaten whoever was being transported. It's also useful for things like Typhons that show up in 2000 point games, and is safe from retaliatory fire.

I do like the idea of Tzeentch power batteries for Zardu to use to summon stuff. While I like the Gal Vorbak, I think the blade slaves will be fun to use and deadly, especially with a biomancy centurion and Zardu providing hatred.

Can't Daemonkin count as the Daemon Codex? I believe it says that anyone that can ally to Codex Daemons can do Dk instead.

I think the bloodletters are a bit of a cheap yet dangerous throwaway unit. I'd rather have the enemy shooting at them instead of the expensive Ashen circle. I can also always summon more.

The Bloodthirster, while not able to assault and kill a Spartan first turn, can definitely do so second turn, or more importantly, threaten whoever was being transported. It's also useful for things like Typhons that show up in 2000 point games, and is safe from retaliatory fire.

I do like the idea of Tzeentch power batteries for Zardu to use to summon stuff. While I like the Gal Vorbak, I think the blade slaves will be fun to use and deadly, especially with a biomancy centurion and Zardu providing hatred.

The Khorne Daemonkin Codex specifically lists the factions that the codex can ally with at each level. Even the Come The Apocalypse level specifically lists its factions - there's no "everything else" bucket. And of course the Word Bearers legion rules don't mention Daemonkin.

Even if the rules were ambiguous, and they're not, I would still be really uncomfortable allying in the Daemonkin Codex. Because that codex includes stuff like Helldrakes, dinobots, Chaos Space Marines, Khorne Berzerkers, Chaos Bikers, etc. All stuff you really wouldn't want to see in a Heresy legion army.

It's a shame for the daemon contingent of the Daemonkin codex though, because they work much better with Word Bearers. Fearless instead of Daemonic Instability. So you can have 20 Bloodletters riding in your Spartan, you can put a Jet Bike riding Chaplain in with your Flesh Hounds and you can have your Khorne Heralds joining all your Word Bearer units, not just those with the Daemon rule (Gal Vorbak, Zardu+Bladeslaves and anything else with the appropriate Dark Channeling roll).

However, with the rate that GW or releasing 40k Codexes, it can't be that long until they re-do the Daemon one. And I'd be really surprised if they don't bring the generic daemons in line with the Daemonkin daemons.

Archived