Cult mech as a elite small army?

Yeah, they're only 1 pip of armour tougher than a Destroyer after all. An Attack Bike without the mobility or a jink save, basically. AP3 isn't rare. If somebody needs them gone, they're gone.

And when the only other option on the table is pouring shots into robots, they often draw a ton of fire. They're a big potential threat that's comparatively easy to take out of the game.

Tanking with a Tech-Priest helps, but he can't be everywhere.

Also:

Priest are for objectives

Expensive, elite infantry that evaporates in a light breeze? How are they any good at claiming objectives?

Yeah, they're only 1 pip of armour tougher than a Destroyer after all. An Attack Bike without the mobility or a jink save, basically. AP3 isn't rare. If somebody needs them gone, they're gone.

And when the only other option on the table is pouring shots into robots, they often draw a ton of fire. They're a big potential threat that's comparatively easy to take out of the game.

Tanking with a Tech-Priest helps, but he can't be everywhere.

Also:

Priest are for objectives

Expensive, elite infantry that evaporates in a light breeze? How are they any good at claiming objectives?

the priest are too slow they are best is d as screens for your destroyers and breathers.

A unit of 3 destroyers will live no longer than a unit of 10 vanguard skits. They are of a similar toughness. This means if your enemy goes first you better have your destroyers in cover..

Olyour range argument is silly because some of the best army's don't have the best range such as necronns. Most shots are 30+ only mentioned as a defensive measure against hordes and assault heavy list. 9 str 4 hits does two wounds to twc. That's not to bad if you've already been blasting at em for a turn or two.

Either way I don't think anyone is arguing with you over cults mono power. It leaves a lot to be desired, but i think your argument here and there is working into outlandishness.

Back on the topic at hand. I think your running mono cult you need to focus your canticles. The units seem priced as if they were always under the affect of tier 2 canticles. So they are pretty good once given tier 3. Even the priest become pretty tanky when they have stealth+ shroud in cover. Problem is you can get this bonuses until its your turn. This out you at quite the disadvantage if you go second. You'll take would with out stealth and shround on and you'll be in danger of droppintdropping canticles.

The other issue is objective. The priest as objective isn't the worst idea. If they are getting shot at your destroyers are very happy. The problem I see here is actually getting them to objectives. They'll be slow foot slogging up the field for a while. If you have objective turn one or two on your enemy side your gonna have a tough time scoring.

I'd rather take 4 units of 5 priest and let them soak up shots while my destroyer/breachers/robots are picking off tanks and units. Corp priest have potential to do a lot of hits.

And honestly if they won't assault me due to a bunch of flamers I'm happy. Cult as a mono list are ranged. Nothing about the army says throw me in combat other then the fulg priest and honestly they are really too squishy to take unless you can take a full 20.

Unless they can go across the field and base me first turn they are most likely losing that unit during my shooting step

Olyour range argument is silly because some of the best army's don't have the best range such as necronns.

Necrons aren't universally limited to moving 6" a turn, and are highly survivable out of cover.

After watching miniwar gamings video on the formations one of them brought up an idea of combining the holy req formation with the cohort cybernetica formation to make a small, high toughness group of long range fire power. Do these guys have what it takes to stand up to other army's in this configuration? they said the holy req would have 10 breachers + Dom. The robot formation has all the good relics in it for staying power

Edit: best I can see it is 6 robots and 4 data smiths + Dom for 1850 point games

If you want your bots to survive drop-pod grav or webway portal Wraithguard I think you need to find the points for Coteaz and a Void Shield Generator. Mr "I've been expecting you" is good at keeping them at arms length outside the VSG bubble and the Void Shields themselves laugh off shooting attacks that lack high Strength. They are respectably tough against most things so you need to see their weak points and try to counter them.

It is probably more fun than competitive but that is only a bad thing if the thought of not winning tournaments keeps you awake at night.

Archived