Models for a warband

So after acquiring a couple of models that will be my inquisitors, I've got to thinking if it might be worth it to take a small warband to assist my Stormtrooper army.

I've read that the inquisition can be a valuable asset, but I've also hear that they can detract from them as well. To that end I'm curious as to what kind and how many henchmen to take, and for transports I'm leaning towards heavy bolter razorbacks with the psybolt ammo upgrade. 

What  models would you suggest for the henchmen as well. I kinda like the idea of having some death cult assassins, but the BDSM vibe kinda weirds me out, are there good alternates you can suggest?

What are you looking to get out of your Inquisitor & Co? You can do shooty, stabby, or a mix of the two but with greater numbers than a Razorback can handle.

Since you're running Stormtroopers, I would guess you're looking for stabby. Here we go:

Crusaders are excellent for all Close Quarter Battles. They make excellent bodyguards, as well.

Ministorum Priests are walking tanks. Not only can you get a beloved Eviscerator, but you can tote a shotgun, too! Enough about me, let's talk about Priests. They have access to the same War Hymns the Imperial Guard Priests have and...well, they're the same except for the equipment. All you really need is a Power Weapon and some shooty pistol (of your choice) and then fire off the one Hymn that gives the Priest Smash and a whole host of other goodies. For double the cost of the Power Weapon, you could grab an aforementioned Eviscerator and be able to go to town against anything, at least, theoretically.

Death Cult Assassins are almost too good to pass up. Granted you don't like the models but has that ever stopped you before? No! Model some you do like. Maybe grab a box of Empire Flagellants and model them with their swinging bells and flails as hands? That would give them a "whirling Dervish" vibe. You could go the Dark Eldar way and use male torsos instead of the female ones- well, you'd still have some BDSM content there. Just give a model two power swords and have 'em hack away at the enemy. Tyranids? What tyranids? All I see is yummy "Inquisition Paste".

Doh! I almost forgot Arco-flagellants! Stick a pack of these guys against something and watch the blood pour. That would be a nasty surprise from the back of a Razorback!

I was thinking stabby, and I'd rather have the lady DCA with the BDSM gear, than a bunch of dudes. My army is sorely lacking some gender diversity (My force is all Special Operations types, its a sausage fest). I like the idea of crusaders, I just don't know if I want to use the crusader models or something else, and if the something else, what would I use? 

I have plenty that does shooty, and much better than an acolyte. Priests seem like they could be fun, I might steal Airinhere's idea of using repentia as priestesses and GSing some hoods on them. 

I was planning on using some grey knights for melee and psyker support, but having a cheap melee unit would be nice for lower point games.

I've seen people do some pretty cool conversions with the Bretonnian Men-at-Arms for the Crusaders. You could maybe even do some with Empire Greatswords. To me, Crusaders have a Neo-Medieval Grimdark feel going on and it really meshes with their fluff and equipment. There is a picture on this sub-forum that has two Kasrkin tooled-up like Crusaders but I'm not digging the look. Ok, found the picture here. I can see why someone would like them.

The other avenue I'd suggest would be Arco-flagellants. They have 4 S 5 attacks base and FNP which is so freaking fluffy they could be a pillow happy.png. Is that worth considering against DCAs? Your call, compadre.

The good thing about Inquisition vs Grey Knights is that you can make a cheap-ish list that works well and fits easily into most fluff. Grey Knights are just going to mind-scrape and/ or kill you after use.

I'm planning on using one of my own ordos, the Ordo Arcanum. Their job is to monitor the Ordo Malleus and Ordo Hereticus, and catalog the arcane knowledge and artifacts they come across. They wouldn't use monstrosities such as the Arco-Flagellants or Daemonhosts (they'd actually put the arco-flagellants down, and purge the daemonhost). So I'd say I'm kinda stuck with the Death Cult Assassins and Crusaders. 

I like the idea of using fantasy models for my crusaders, and they come in larger numbers, good call. 

I agree about fantasy models.  Loads of conversion waiting to happen and they seem pretty easy to work with.  I also lurk Ebay and find oddball stuff sometimes.  I snagged a group of "psyker" models that look cool recently.  I am hoping to add a new facet to my force.  I still have yet to really dig into any psychic powers, but with these guys on the way, I am even making a conclave of Librarians for my marines (Converted terminators with greenstuff).  I feel the 10 model Inquisitor psyker squad should give me loads of warp points to work with.  No idea how that will work out in actual game play tho.

I thought Psykers would be helpful, but they're brotherhood psyker, so whether it's 3 models or the full 12, it's only 1 ML and thus one dice. Might as well sink the psyker alone into a squad of crusaders or something.

Changed my mind about the Death Cult assassins, I think it would be easier to do Wyches as my DCA, as there seem to be more female bits in those boxes, and the idea of swift, silent, and deadly ladies with powerswords terrifies me, which means it will be equally as much so for my opponent. 

When I get around to do a melee henchmen squad I'm going to use the Adeptus Mechanics Sicaran Ruststalkers as my death cult assassins. The models just ooze with passioned slicing and dicing!

For crusaders I think I too will look to the Bret range (if it still exists in 9th edition), perhaps using the men at arms, perhaps the battle pilgrims.

I'm really liking what the inquisition can bring to the table. 

As for grey knights, I'm actually fluffing them as Runic Guard, so they wouldn't be doing that silly mind-scrubbing or exterminatusing all in sight thing. But more melee couldn't hurt. 

Changed my mind about the Death Cult assassins, I think it would be easier to do Wyches as my DCA, as there seem to be more female bits in those boxes, and the idea of swift, silent, and deadly ladies with powerswords terrifies me, which means it will be equally as much so for my opponent. 

With a bit of work, you can achieve great models like these : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/390/509255.page#6913463

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/6/8/620001_sm-Death%20Cult%20Assassin%2C%20Inquisitor%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

Nico, I hate you so much right now because that should have been my idea tongue.png! I know it specifically states "Two Power Swords" for their equipment entry, but you'd have to throw in an axe or twelve! And play "Ride of the Valkyries". At every game.

I also as thinking about including something norse, but I really want some ladies in my forces. Though, some chaos warriors with swords and shields would make good crusaders, but I'm still thinking of ladies for my DCA's. I'm still thinking wyches as the base model.

And play "Ride of the Valkyries". At every game.

I already do that, because of my Air Cav/ Air Assault format.

Wyrd Miniatures has a great many female models with melee weapons for DCA.  I like the Librarian models.   Look at their Malifaux line.  And Warmachine's Cygnar Sword Knights are good stand ins for Crusaders.

That, Nico, is brilliant. It speaks to me, and I think I shall do it. I need to put some finishing touches on my Guard (completing the air assault formation, and adding a second kasrkin sgt) and then I'll be starting on my inquisition. 

Archived