Dig in for the Forge! Siege style Skitarii?

So after watching some WW1 stuff I have a hankering for building a siege army out of the mechanicus forces. I know it may seem weird and it should be a job for the militarum, but I kinda want to bounce that idea around. anyone thing of any cool ideas for this?

I personally was thinking about making a more artillery like onager and bring a wall of martyrs line for the defense of the trenches. other than that though I would love to discuss some ideas.

well, my personal problem with that idea/concept is that the Ordo Reductor are still the "right ones" for siege work - and they have their Thallaxii instead of Skitarii :/ not sure if Skitarii would do "siege work" honestly^^ 

Well in the most recent ad mech novel they have rangers and vanguard manning trenches with ordo reductor artillery supporting...also thallax aren't really used anymore, they were a heresy thing and using animals for the guiding spirit is now frowned upon according to the admech codex

I think Vanguard are a pretty down and dirty unit, so it's not completely crazy for them to be manning trenches and such.  The only issue I can think of is the lack of true "siege" weapons a la Death Korps of Krieg.  Would you consider running this list as a hybrid with IG?

I definitely see vanguard running through the trenches. Running through pits of rad tainted gas. Stinking out any infantry with deadly cloud of rad fire.

Onager with heavy drinkers could be your machine gun emplacement. Could take some kastelans to also keep the no man's land a no man's land.

Well in the most recent ad mech novel they have rangers and vanguard manning trenches with ordo reductor artillery supporting...also thallax aren't really used anymore, they were a heresy thing and using animals for the guiding spirit is now frowned upon according to the admech codex

nope, according to the WD, thallaxii are still here and kicking msn-wink.gif the new codex mentiones only thanatar, castellax and vorax msn-wink.gif thallax aren't even automatons, but more or less skitarii with different bionics .....

(also, cult mechanicus still says that there are some forgeworlds/magii who still use the better automata, but they are a bit mad and so :P)

One of my several planned Mechanicus armies(that sound is my wallet trying to hang itself) is an Ordo Reductor Siege Covenant with Auxillia Myrmidon support.

Radiphracts(the cooler name for Vanguard from the Tech-Priest novel) in rent-a-pods modelled as Termite tunnelers.

Reductor Thunderstrike Batteries represented by the new squadroned SM Thunderfires.

Techmarine, possibly pimped out with Relics, as a Myrmidon Secutor if I need a SM HQ.

Centurions of either flavour as Myrmidons.

Maybe Ironclad dreads as Assault Engines.

Dominus & Torsion Breachers as Magos Reductor & Praetorians.

Season with Fortifications to taste.

If FW ever get around to giving us an IA with Thallaxii 40K rules I'll be happy to include them, but I don't see any reason why the Ordo Reductor wouldn't have regular bonded Skitarii.

nope, according to the WD, thallaxii are still here and kicking msn-wink.gif the new codex mentiones only thanatar, castellax and vorax msn-wink.gif thallax aren't even automatons, but more or less skitarii with different bionics .....

(also, cult mechanicus still says that there are some forgeworlds/magii who still use the better automata, but they are a bit mad and so :P)

That's what happens when you try and quote a book from memory :-P

I was thinking of doing something like this with an unbound list, using some leman russ's and earthshakers as artillery while using the men at the front line. I would use reductor but there are no rules so far in 40k.

Archived