3K Salamanders gradual build

archarsonist

So I have read through the army lists, trolled the FW site constantly and have been listening to 30K podcasts a LOT! Originally I thought I would go with IF, but it seems that they are taken a lot, and at the end of the day Salamanders have a special place in my heart. While I have 3k of 40k salamanders, I can't really resist making them my first 30k army. I have drafted up a 3k+ list which has all of the primary salamanders units in it, and should be pretty fun to play. My first order is going to be preators, apothecaries, 10 mk3 tac marines and a contemptor (just shy of 750 points). Pretty safe purchases in my opinion, and I should be able to at least get these guys into some zone mortalis games until I get a second troops going. My LoW choice (Vulkan and Firedrakes with a spartan) comes in at over 1k points, and will be the last chunk of the army that I get. Eventually the 15 tac marines will ride in the storm eagle, but I wont be getting that until around the new year. Comments welcome!

RoW Covenant of Fire
HQ: Preator, Archeotech Pistol, Paragon Blade, melta bomb, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Iron Halo, Artificer Weapon

TR: Legion Assault Sqd x10, 2x hand flamer, sgt w/ hand flamer, thunder hammer, artificer armor, artificer weapon (might bump this to 15 or 20 strong)

TR: Legion Tac Sqd x15, Legion Vexilla, sgt w/ combi-flamer, artificer armor, artificer weapon, apothecary w/ combi-flamer & artificier armor

TR: Pyroclast squad x 9, warden w/ power sword, apothecary w/ combi-flamer and artificer armor, LR Phobos w/ TL heavy flamer

EL: Contemptor Dreadnought w/ multi-melts & heavy flamer

FA: Storm Eagle Assault Gunship, TL multi-melta, TL Lascannon, armored ceramite

HS: Legion Predator w/ magna-melta, heavy flamer, dozer blade

Lord of War: Vulcan, firedrake terminators x5 w/ thunder hammer and dragon scale storm shield, spartan assault tank w/ TL flamer

Cheers,
Arch

for the praetor drop the archeotech pistol and give him a storm shield for a 3++ and make his paragon blade master crafted, it is only 5 points after all, I would also give him digital weapons for that extra attack. on the charge this tank has 6 attacks at ws6 w/ one re-roll and has a 2+/3++ I personally would take a hammer instead but it is down to personal preference. possibly give a jump pack so he can ride with the assault marines.

I would drop the thunder hammers on the firedrakes for power fists saving 25 points, the bonus from the hammers isn't worth it, especially with vulkan the tank hanging around.

the weakest part of this army is the lack of models but you have countered it quite well with manoeuvrability, I would say replace the contemptor with either a mortis w/ either twin las or twin kheres or a dreadereo with the autocannon battery for extra anti flyer. 

you will also have to be careful about superheavies, at 3k people can use a warhound titan or something similar and due to the lack of range in your this could be a huge problem. your Spartan will die quickly to even a single D weapon.

Archived