Allied Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus?

Hey guys,

So from what I understand Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus are battle brothers, so would it be possible to bring a Skitarii Maniple as my primary detachment with an allied Cohort Cybernetica formation, or do I need to bring a standard allied detachment if I want to bring Cult Mechanicus as allies for Skitarii?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, as I'm sure the long-beards are getting sick of questions about detachments, formations etc. by now. :P

Thanks in advance!

All Units must be part of a Detachment if you want your army to be Battleforged.

Formations are a special type of Detachment.

Allied Detachment is not necessary to ally two armys, just one option.

So you can mix and match any number of Formations and Detachments from any Codex you want.

It does not matter whether you are Battle Brothers or whatever when you choose your army, this will only have an effect on how they interact in game.

So you can take a Skitarii Maniple, two Cohort Cybernetica Formations, add a Slaughter Cult, a Combined Arms Detachment Orks and an Allied Detachment Tyranids. Will look like sh*t and the fluff will be hard to explain, but it is totally within the rules !

So to answer your question:

You can combine any number of CM and Skitarii Formations, CM Battle Congregations, Skitarii Maniples, Combined Arms or Ally Detachments as you wish (you can also include the same Formation / Detachment as often as you want). In the end you must choose one of these Detachments / Formations to be your Primary Detachment which includes your Warlord.

Ally Detachment can never be your Primary msn-wink.gif

Hope this helps

Rather then make a new thread, I have a few questions.

Is it viable to combine the two as allies? Part of me wants to make a mars force, but cult of mechanis seems to weak on it's own, but I"m hesitant to buy them if they aren't effecent toghether.

They work well enough together just make surr you pick units that work together.

For instance. I take cohort with some skit troops for wounds and anti tank, and ironstrider for some ap 2, anti air, and mobile.

So just pick units what things you think provide what cult mech units you want to bring.

I'm planning a similar force, while I'm working my way towards that white dwarf formation up until then i will combining the various formations for my force, thinking of going with:

Skitarri Maniple + Ironstrider Cavaliers + Cybernetica Cohort

I'm planning a similar force, while I'm working my way towards that white dwarf formation up until then i will combining the various formations for my force, thinking of going with:

Skitarri Maniple + Ironstrider Cavaliers + Cybernetica Cohort

Yeah the striders work great; the ironstrider formation is alittle constraining because they work best when each model is indepent. It protects them from building wound pools. I guess the formation trades that off by everything basicly having a 5+ cover save. You just gotta keep the balistarii's behind the dragoons.

though if your working you way towards the white dwarf formation ironstrider cavailers and cohort is abit of a lateral haha :P.

yeah, the only problem I find with the convocation (other than the price tag hehe) is the skitarri element is limited to one unit of each type, i would have preferred more normal infantry than the ruststalkers, not quite sure how to effectively lose them.

okay fun question can i use both skitarri doctrines and canticles in the same force? i know the doctrines would only affect the skitarii and so on.

yeah, the only problem I find with the convocation (other than the price tag hehe) is the skitarri element is limited to one unit of each type, i would have preferred more normal infantry than the ruststalkers, not quite sure how to effectively lose them.

okay fun question can i use both skitarri doctrines and canticles in the same force? i know the doctrines would only affect the skitarii and so on.

Simply put.... yes!  The Skatarii element still holds all normal rules for Skatarii.  In the War Convocation they do as well AND get the added benefit of the Canticles.

Probably the best part is you'll have the maximum Canticle benefit until you lose a few of your units, since EVERYTHING has the Canticle rule.  Under Canticles you get things like:

-Base S7 Sicarians (either type; Ruststalkers can stack this to 9 with Furious Charge and Transonic Blades, Infiltrators with Taser Goads)

-Dragoons with 3+ Cover Saves all the time (or is that 2+?  I can't remember Shrouded+Stealth interaction offhand)

-Suddenly VERY dangerous Vanguard in CC with 30 free S4 hits at Initiative 10 (Electro Canticle).  Don't forget Rad Saturation!

-Re-rolls To Hit in melee OR shooting for your Imperial Knight (yes, he gets it too)

Also, since you're using a Cult Mechanicus Detachment (forgot the name), you'll be able to use one of the Canticles twice.  So you can double up any of those effects listed above!

Probably the best part is you'll have the maximum Canticle benefit until you lose a few of your units, since EVERYTHING has the Canticle rule.  Under Canticles you get things like:

-Base S7 Sicarians (either type; Ruststalkers can stack this to 9 with Furious Charge and Transonic Blades, Infiltrators with Taser Goads)

-Dragoons with 3+ Cover Saves all the time (or is that 2+?  I can't remember Shrouded+Stealth interaction offhand)

-Suddenly VERY dangerous Vanguard in CC with 30 free S4 hits at Initiative 10 (Electro Canticle).  Don't forget Rad Saturation!

-Re-rolls To Hit in melee OR shooting for your Imperial Knight (yes, he gets it too)

Also, since you're using a Cult Mechanicus Detachment (forgot the name), you'll be able to use one of the Canticles twice.  So you can double up any of those effects listed above!

are u sure of it ? where is written in the codex ?

I'm obsessed with the War Convocation!  Ever since I opened that White Dwarf and read about it I knew it was for me!  With that said there is a learning curve to effectively using the War Convocation (at least for me, 2 straight losses with it).  Still I highly recommend playing with one!

You will be toting a lot of books (3 different codexes) to your games!  I've since created a laminated Weapon Profile sheet that combined all 3 books worth of weapons on to one two-sided sheet.  There are A LOT of rules you need to remember (that and my dice are the biggest reasons for my losses)!

@alexj89 - On pg. 56 in the grey box defining a Cult Mechanicus Battle Congregation, it's one of the Command Benefits.

I'm obsessed with the War Convocation!  Ever since I opened that White Dwarf and read about it I knew it was for me!  With that said there is a learning curve to effectively using the War Convocation (at least for me, 2 straight losses with it).  Still I highly recommend playing with one!

You will be toting a lot of books (3 different codexes) to your games!  I've since created a laminated Weapon Profile sheet that combined all 3 books worth of weapons on to one two-sided sheet.  There are A LOT of rules you need to remember (that and my dice are the biggest reasons for my losses)!

@alexj89 - On pg. 56 in the grey box defining a Cult Mechanicus Battle Congregation, it's one of the Command Benefits.

i miss it! so we can get stealth and srhouded for 2 turn :D

Not sure how useful that will be since he already has a 4+ Invul from his shield, but I suppose this could help protect his flanks if you mess up the shield facing (personally guilty of this).

Not sure how useful that will be since he already has a 4+ Invul from his shield, but I suppose this could help protect his flanks if you mess up the shield facing (personally guilty of this).

2+ cover in a forest? Sign me up. That goes a long way of protecting a melee Knight from alpha strike. Then he goes ninja on the opponent's arse :D

Don't know if it protects him from being alpha'd Immersturm. If your opponent draws first turn you won't have a chance to pop the Canticle! That said, I can see the appeal there more so than I did before; Shroudpsalm could be the hidden gem of the Canticle list. huh.png

Archived