Kit options for Alphas

Geminga

Now that AM have been out for a while, I was wondering what folks have found to be the most useful kit options for Vanguard and Ranger Alphas.  I don't see many of the Relics being useful for Alphas that aren't warlord, so are any of the mundane options worth taking over the galvanic rifle or rad carbine?

SELECTED: DENTRICA II OF XX

ENGAGE NEURAL CONGRESS – WIRELESS AUTOSHUNT ACQUIRED

UPLOADING… + ALPHAS +

I was going to model each for convenience, but I too am interested in the knowledge gleaned by other Magii.

Our options (barring relics) are:

Skitarii Vanguard-Alpha

01. radium carbine

02. phosphor blast pistol & taser goad
03. radium pistol & taser goad
04. arc pistol & taser goad

05. phosphor blast pistol & power sword
06. radium pistol & power sword
07. arc pistol & power sword

08. phosphor blast pistol & arc maul
09. radium pistol & arc maul
10. arc pistol & arc maul

Skitarii Ranger-Alpha

01. galvanic rifle

02. phosphor blast pistol & taser goad
03. radium pistol & taser goad
04. arc pistol & taser goad

05. phosphor blast pistol & power sword
06. radium pistol & power sword
07. arc pistol & power sword

08. phosphor blast pistol & arc maul
09. radium pistol & arc maul
10. arc pistol & arc maul

Sicarian Ruststalker-Princep

01. transonic razor, chordclaw, mindscrambler grenades, & refractor field

02. transonic razor, chordclaw, mindscrambler grenades, & conversion field

03. transonic razor, chordclaw, mindscrambler grenades, & digital weapons

04. two transonic blades & refractor field

05. two transonic blades & conversion field

06. two transonic blades & digital weapons

Sicarian Infiltrator-Princep

01. stubcarbine, power sword, & refractor field

02. stubcarbine, power sword, & conversion field

03. stubcarbine, power sword, & digital weapons

04. flechette blaster, taser goad, & refractor field

05. flechette blaster, taser goad, & conversion field

06. flechette blaster, taser goad, & digital weapons

Well in light of figuring out that the alpha can not blind it's self with a conversion shield. It is almost a must have upgrade where ever you can get it.

Upgraded phospher serpinta on dragoons isn't worth it IMHO. So few shots have a hard time of actually landing wounds when it matters most.

I like arc pistol and taser goad on units with Arc Rifles. Gives me another arc shot at 12" (so 7 total, goodbye almost any vehicle target), and in melee it's three S5 attacks (great with -T from radiation) that double on 6s.

For the arquebus min-sized ranger units (jury still out if this is worth 125 points as it is), I leave the guy his galvanic rifle.

I'm unsure what to put on my Vanguard with Plasma Calivers squad.

I like arc pistol and taser goad on units with Arc Rifles. Gives me another arc shot at 12" (so 7 total, goodbye almost any vehicle target), and in melee it's three S5 attacks (great with -T from radiation) that double on 6s.

For the arquebus min-sized ranger units (jury still out if this is worth 125 points as it is), I leave the guy his galvanic rifle.

I'm unsure what to put on my Vanguard with Plasma Calivers squad.

Same here, at least this is what I am trying to do (I do not play very often because of working abroad).

My Plasma Vanguard will have the Warlord with Taser Goad and Phosphor Pistol. I know, Luminage is nothing to rely on, but if you get a wound the -1 cover for the plasma guns and reroll charge range can be realy good to whipe out an enemy unit.

Lets compare:

Arc: 10 Points

Wants to shoot at different targets than the Plasma and Rad Guns

Can wound tougher models (but bad AP)

Rad: 5 Points

Better against T > 6

Better against hordes because of multi wounds

Phosphor: 5 Points

Better against wounding T < 6

Better AP

can glance Armour 11

Luminage (kind of Random)

So for the Plasma Vanguard Rad or Phosphor is the best option in my opinion, because it is cheaper.

In the end it will not make a big difference.

They are both only of any use in pistol range. The Rad will only realy shine on a wound roll of 6. The Phosphor is a little more reliable I think, but again will only really shine when wounding an enemy unit (so you have to hit, to wound and opponent has to fail the safe).

Have to agree; Phosphor on a Plasma Warlord Alpha makes the most sense - Rad would work fine as well but the actual shooting from either is pretty inconsequential so you may as well go for the one which might result in a useful proc. If you're running an Arc suicide squad in rent-a-pods or the like, Arc Pistols are useful. Otherwise tbh I'd just leave them with the stock gun, even in the "everything's free" super-formation, because the basic weapons are good enough that having an extra one IMO outweighs getting an extra CC attack.

EDIT: And avoid the Phospheonix like the plague; it's too expensive considering its 6" range.

Not sure if this particularly relevant, but I like my alphqs adorned with nothing more than a conversion field. Let's you throw him in the front of your unit to try and save against a few wounds. I feel f it save 1 or 2 wounds it's paid for itself.

Hmm, I wonder what is really more effective in close combat for Vanguard at the end of the day, 15-20 points spent on a taser/pistol, or 20 points spent on the Pater Radium.

Assuming a buff in place to hit on 3+, against Marines the Taser/Pistol alpha delivers ~0.55 wounds, whereas I guess the Pater Radium averages 2 (50% to fail check x D6, so a D3?). As a bonus, you get to keep your Assault 3 carbine, and could even decline a challenge and still use the Radium to melt the enemy.

This may be a good choice for a Vanguard squad with arc rifles, since they will turn their attention to infantry once there are no more vehicles to blow up.

I wish Skitarii could take power axes, but I guess those are reserved for the Priesthood and random Imperial Guard sergeants.

The arc pistol definitely seems like a good option for an arc rifle squad, but for anything else I think it's hard to give up those Assault 3 attacks from the carbine.  Do taser goads really make that much of a difference on just one model in CC?

Well, a Rad carbine is essentially a rapid firing bolter against T5 or less (discounting longer range and imperatives). Best case scenario is 6 wounds (3 sixes to hit). The pistol/taser with those same 3 sixes inflicts 9 hits (wounding on 2+). It can definitely turn the tide against MEQ MSU and make mincemeat of anything lesser.

Well, a Rad carbine is essentially a rapid firing bolter against T5 or less (discounting longer range and imperatives). Best case scenario is 6 wounds (3 sixes to hit). The pistol/taser with those same 3 sixes inflicts 9 hits (wounding on 2+). It can definitely turn the tide against MEQ MSU and make mincemeat of anything lesser.

this is true is but you are going second in this combat where the marines are attacking first. also the carbine could get one or two wounds of shooting in, and overwatch. Then in combat you'd get the alphas regular unmodified attacks.

also the weapon combo could be easily challenged out.

I personally think melee weapon upgrades are usually way over priced in 40k, and as a general rule of thumb arn't worth it.

I run a arc pistol and power sword on my vanguards, the negative toughness makes a power sword worth it.

For my rangers I run arc pistol and taser goad. the ranger doesn't have the strength to make a power sword worth equipping.

and as for ruststalkers and infiltrators I have both setups on 2 different 5 man units. as I find each load out to worth having available especially if I face marines or guard grade enemies.

I don't know about a power sword being worth it. The -1T means you're effective S4 I3, and I don't hear Marine players being giddy about power swords on their base S4 I4 stat-line.

I've gotten good use out of arc pistol and taser goad on my arc vanguard, the +2S and -1T combine in fun ways, and that extra haywire shot is worth giving up the rad carbine. I have been struggling with the set-up on the plasma vanguard since none of the other pistols seem worth giving up the carbine. I am currently running them 9 strong with two calivers and pater radium, attached to a Magos, and it seems to be working okay. Magos has the Cognis relic.

Archived