Thank you for all your kind comments, y'all. :) I've been dreaming of this project for a very long time, a spark of imagination lit long ago, back when I first saw the Imperial Heralds old Index Astartes heraldry. I loved the granite plate and inscriptions (plus, their pre-heresy symbol was just awesome looking to a hardcore Fahrenheit 451 fan :D ), but I could never really dig the Legion's later history, so I put a stop/hold to my ideas for a very long time. Until FW's HH books, and their XVII entry.

The second I read their Unification Era history and demeanor, for better or worse, I was committed. Thankfully, I found another sucker ally in this decent into madness and bankruptcy. Hopefully, BCK and I can continue to entertain with our visual insanity.

Atmospheric and imaginative writing coupled with exploring the Unification era; and fantastic conversion work and posing on the miniatures? Fantastic stuff, Hyænidae.

(and apologies for the inadvertent breaking of posting rules – crimson helm donned!)

As an unabashed admirer of your work on your XIII and XVI Legion work, that's quite a compliment. Thank you, my self-sanctioned cousin.  ;)

(it's all good, dude, we all make mistakes :) )

I've been waiting for this since I first saw you mention the Heavenfall Chapter. Needless to say, it's been worth it.

Are you a writer? Because you certainly could be.

Glad I met expectations, brother.

And no, though folks keep asking me that. I have zero formal education with writing, I just like doing it. *shrug*

That was squee worthy for sure. I love your portrayal of the word bearers. Very moving/humane if that's even possible

I aim for evocative and emotional scenes when I write, so I'm really glad to see that this was properly reflected by the readers. Thank you!

Awesome stuff. One part of me loves the fantastic fluff you created as well as the great models, the rest of me hates it all and anything having to do with the XVII legion.

Ditto, I despise the XVII and their gene-father, but this is fantastic work, very very evocative. I could see the Hive burning in my mind...

Generally, I agree that the XVII Legion went downhill, storyline-wise, after the finding of Colchis, but... their Unification Era fluff is a masterpiece.

Have faith in the faithless Old Legion, brothers. :)

I've have been waiting patiently for you to begin this project. Now that you have, my only thought is what is the best way to include the Heavenfall chapter in the Razing of Madrigal?

Promising stuff mate, I particularly like the pose on the pose on the Delegatus. the posing of his left arm and hand put me in mind of ancient theologians asking lofty questions of the gods, which gives the model the perfect amount of irony.

Thank you! I imagined he is speaking from the floor of a grand hall of some sort, giving the last ultimatum to some poor delegation of stubborn demagogues, just prior to the crash of bolter fire.

And Madrigal will burn from on high, cousin. Heavenfall is oriented towards Air Assault, and will be heavy with Storm Eagles and Fire Raptors. ;)

Fire is bright, and fire is clean.

More soon, folks.  

Great story, BCK. Very entertaining. I even imagined the Dusk Raider to have a Scot's lilt. Seeing the pair of you work together will be very entertaining indeed. :D

I can't believe you've had no writing education, you seriously have such a way with words.

Seriously though I am so psyched for this. I mean I like the XVIIth after Colchis as much as before, but their pre Primarch history is something very rarely explored. And the VIII are cool whenever too, but BCKs Crimson Sons models are sublime. And there'll be some Dusk Raiders too, which is even more win. Pre Primarch legions are rare to see, and this is just awesome already with one post each.

As always, the background for both forces is fantastic, and it'll be great to watch you explore the fertile narrative soil of the Unification-era Legions.

I'm guessing volkite weapons, Mk II armour and more 'basic' wargear is in order? Any plans for Mk I conversions?

However this progresses, I'll be watching eagerly thumbsup.gif

Any plans for Mk I conversions?

This. It's a pity GW hasn't made a kit, short of the old metal one. I'll be very interested in how you tackle it thumbsup.gif

In regards to writing, Hyaenidae, although I consider myself somewhat decent at the old wordsmithing, I am really only an amateur at best. I must say that I find the tracts you write a joy to read and perhaps it may be an avenue worth exploring. 

As Hyenas already said, thanks everyone for the comments and praise. It's nice to see this being so well received after the amount of time we've been wanting to do this and the constant setbacks for one reason or another.

Thankfully, I found another sucker ally in this decent into madness and bankruptcy. Hopefully, BCK and I can continue to entertain with our visual insanity.

Well, you did help me end up with the Sons as my Legion. Seems the least I could do is make an awesome project with you.

Great story, BCK. Very entertaining. I even imagined the Dusk Raider to have a Scot's lilt. Seeing the pair of you work together will be very entertaining indeed. biggrin.png

I wasn't going for Scots specifically, but that works. smile.png I just wanted a marine who still spoke in a similar fashion to how he was before the transformation, instead of speaking like someone from a Shakespearian play.

As always, the background for both forces is fantastic, and it'll be great to watch you explore the fertile narrative soil of the Unification-era Legions.

I'm guessing volkite weapons, Mk II armour and more 'basic' wargear is in order? Any plans for Mk I conversions?

However this progresses, I'll be watching eagerly thumbsup.gif

Any plans for Mk I conversions?

This. It's a pity GW hasn't made a kit, short of the old metal one. I'll be very interested in how you tackle it thumbsup.gif

I actually meant to touch on this in my first post but forgot to do it. We'll be taking some artistic liberties with some things, especially with regard to armor marks, and changing a bit of the canon to suit the story we want to tell. There is no MK I kit readily available, and I happen to think it looks awful (unless FW could make it amazing somehow, I'd still refuse to use it even if it was available). Neither of us wants to do a force composed entirely of MK II either, so there will be a mixing of armor marks. We know it's anachronistic, so there's no need to make an issue of it.

IHF - yes, there will be death rays, and I'm planning on converting an entire scout squad to represent Vall's unit.

I actually meant to touch on this in my first post but forgot to do it. We'll be taking some artistic liberties with some things, especially with regard to armor marks, and changing a bit of the canon to suit the story we want to tell. There is no MK I kit readily available, and I happen to think it looks awful (unless FW could make it amazing somehow, I'd still refuse to use it even if it was available). Neither of us wants to do a force composed entirely of MK II either, so there will be a mixing of armor marks. We know it's anachronistic, so there's no need to make an issue of it.

Fair enough thumbsup.gif

Having read this, I think that it's quite cool that you're both taking different paths on this, at least with the types of plate used. Adds a little more realism I think. After all, each Legion went their own way in more than one aspect... happy.png

As Hyenas already said, thanks everyone for the comments and praise. It's nice to see this being so well received after the amount of time we've been wanting to do this and the constant setbacks for one reason or another.

Thankfully, I found another sucker ally in this decent into madness and bankruptcy. Hopefully, BCK and I can continue to entertain with our visual insanity.

Well, you did help me end up with the Sons as my Legion. Seems the least I could do is make an awesome project with you.

Great story, BCK. Very entertaining. I even imagined the Dusk Raider to have a Scot's lilt. Seeing the pair of you work together will be very entertaining indeed. biggrin.png

I wasn't going for Scots specifically, but that works. smile.png I just wanted a marine who still spoke in a similar fashion to how he was before the transformation, instead of speaking like someone from a Shakespearian play.

This has always been something I like. Sometimes, the script writing can just become spoken prose and perfect sentences, and it doesn't work. As for accents, for some reason, I've always imagined them to have a South Afrikaans accent. But then again, I've also been on a bit of a Neil Blommkamp binge, recently, after watching Blood Diamond and also rediscovering Die Antwoord after watching Chappie, I always kind of imagined Sons of Horus to have a SudAfrik accent (Jutigran Bowl = jo'berg?)

Bout dang time you started them Hyenas. I remember back when we were talking about the Iconoclasts when writing about a Heavenfall list that I had to write some fluff for.

Have you seen the corrupted Ashen Circle in the blackened ash color with glowing runes from Tempest? They're pretty sexy.

Archived