Delayed BL books (Warmaster; Matt Farrar's Iron Snakes, etc)

• 3 weeks later...

Warmaster should be Dan Abnett, as it's the next title in the Gaunts Ghosts series. I've heard that Abnett seems to be doing much more work for Marvel Comics these days, considering he was one of the co-creators of the original Guardians of the Galaxy series. Evidently the (relatively surprising) success of the film reignited a great deal of interest, and they've lured him back.

I totally understand why he would make that choice from a life/finances viewpoint, but... please, Dan, Warmaster and Penitent? Pretty please? wub.png

It's sad though cause Bequin was his thing for a while, and the book shows it - it's a labour of love, not a profitable decision by BL per se but a new direction. And then .... no more. I understand this, we all should from the world of work - pet projects fall by the side in favour of things we need to do. But I completely think Pariah was one of his best works - more ambitious and more interesting and more of his intelligence than almost any other book he has published (with the exception of PB). And .... no more? And what was happening with Blood Pact and Salvation's Reach was really interesting; more of that mature Abnett seen in Prospero Burns and Know No Fear. Someone experimental and challenging his own limits.

There's also a the concern of Dan's Health, which has been a bit up and down over the last few years.

Give the guy a break, he's doing the best he can. Just like us, real life comes first.

• 2 months later...

Real life comes first - but even Amazon is angry now. I talked with the support guy from Amazon and he told me that release date for Warmaster was postponed 5 times - just from Amazon side. I personally spoke to Dan in 2013-2014 - and at October 2013 he was planning to 'finish' Warmaster in 2013! Well - it's soon the end of 2015!

Money and Marvel break the people 

• 2 weeks later...

I wish you could see my face, so you could understand how little I give a crap about Amazon's hissy-fit temper and their greasy money-grubbing paws, in comparison to the continued good health of my favorite author, and his concerns about his future and family, which any family man would share.

Real life comes first. No if's, and's, or but's. Amazon can go find someone else to rip off.

There's also a the concern of Dan's Health, which has been a bit up and down over the last few years.

Give the guy a break, he's doing the best he can. Just like us, real life comes first.

Just to reassure folks, Dan's been fine on that score for 3-4+ years. His epilepsy issues lasted about a year and he's been trucking on like a champ since then. They were around the time of Prospero Burns, so quite a while ago.

He's all good.

If you were a writer and you had a choice between Marvel and Black Library...kinda hard to choose the latter

Not necessarily. Everything has a time and a place. For Dan, sure, that's hard to resist, because he's primarily a comics guy and loves the medium. For someone with minimal interest in comics, it's pretty easy to resist. And a lot would depend on the project itself. You'd be surprised how many licenses and well-paying gigs get pitched at experienced authors, and get turned down.

Ahhhh, A D-B after such a lovely answer, i just can't rage on Abnett biggrin.png But still - the life is unfair, and we always want what we like the most to come first. But the life happens biggrin.png

Hyaenidae - specially for you. ' I give a crap about Amazon's hissy-fit ' - really? You mean people at goodreads, waterstones, simon and shuster - every bookselling place is a place of ...grabing monkeys? Cause they all have release problem with 'Warmaster'? So, maybe - just maybe you will open your eyes and just think it through. That it's 90 % Dan's fault. For writing other stuff and postponing release till the end times? furious.gif

Happy?

Glad to hear that Dan is fine, thanks A D-B.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there was another Iron Snakes novel planned?

Hope that it will come. Loved Dans novel. By now, I read it four times. :)

If you were a writer and you had a choice between Marvel and Black Library...kinda hard to choose the latter

Not necessarily. Everything has a time and a place. For Dan, sure, that's hard to resist, because he's primarily a comics guy and loves the medium. For someone with minimal interest in comics, it's pretty easy to resist. And a lot would depend on the project itself. You'd be surprised how many licenses and well-paying gigs get pitched at experienced authors, and get turned down.

Out of interest have you ever thought of writing your own stuff? Im not sure if you rate joe Abercrombie, Scott lynch or Scott R Bakkar, so this might actually be taken as a slight? I rate you as an author on that level. You have the ability to take a character who most would portray as a monster and uplift them to a believable human being. They may do monstrous things but they are monsters for a reason. You have a gift for writing complex, deep characters. When I read your books, much like the other authors mentioned I find myself almost rooting for the monster.

Out of interest have you ever thought of writing your own stuff? Im not sure if you rate joe Abercrombie, Scott lynch or Scott R Bakkar, so this might actually be taken as a slight? I rate you as an author on that level. You have the ability to take a character who most would portray as a monster and uplift them to a believable human being. They may do monstrous things but they are monsters for a reason. You have a gift for writing complex, deep characters. When I read your books, much like the other authors mentioned I find myself almost rooting for the monster.
Google Road to Jove.

OK - Matthew Farrer is working on 'Urdesh' - Iron Snakes supplement SMB novel to Dan's Abnett 'Warmaster'. And he is only half done.

'Warmaster' is not finished yet. Interceptor city cancelled. Penitent not until 2017 minimum.

And SAD SAD news fellas from over the ocean. 'Deathwatch 2', second novel from Steve has been cancelled sad.png

2015 would be making the annals as one of the worst BL years to date.

Real life comes first - but even Amazon is angry now. I talked with the support guy from Amazon and he told me that release date for Warmaster was postponed 5 times - just from Amazon side. I personally spoke to Dan in 2013-2014 - and at October 2013 he was planning to 'finish' Warmaster in 2013! Well - it's soon the end of 2015!

Money and Marvel break the people

I wish you could see my face, so you could understand how little I give a crap about Amazon's hissy-fit temper and their greasy money-grubbing paws, in comparison to the continued good health of my favorite author, and his concerns about his future and family, which any family man would share.

Real life comes first. No if's, and's, or but's. Amazon can go find someone else to rip off.

Ahhhh, A D-B after such a lovely answer, i just can't rage on Abnett biggrin.png But still - the life is unfair, and we always want what we like the most to come first. But the life happens biggrin.png

Hyaenidae - specially for you. ' I give a crap about Amazon's hissy-fit ' - really? You mean people at goodreads, waterstones, simon and shuster - every bookselling place is a place of ...grabing monkeys? Cause they all have release problem with 'Warmaster'? So, maybe - just maybe you will open your eyes and just think it through. That it's 90 % Dan's fault. For writing other stuff and postponing release till the end times? furious.gif

Happy?

Well that got heated didn't it? I hope this isn't seen as throwing fuel on a fire that shouldn't be burning in the first place, but HeritorA, you're rather out of line there. I'm no moderator, but I don't think it's too much to hold our fellow fraters to a higher standard of respectful communication. I'm thrilled Dan Abnetts health is not a concern with regards to the release of the novels you want to read (very glad to hear that, btw, thx AD-cool.png, but I have to say, you came across as rather callous in this exchange.

Archived