Imperial Fists 1000pts/2000pts Fluffy List(s)

Viridia

Hi guys, first time contributing an army list to the forum. I've recently fallen in love with the notion of a covert Imperial Fists strike force, and I'm looking to build a list that fits around the prospective models I'm looking to buy, as well as taking advantage of the mediocre few FW models I already have, which is a whole ten Mk IV marines only four of which are built, and one of them does have a powerfist. (For note, this list is a scaled down one of a larger 2000 points list, which I'm so indecisive about I've split that into three different variants!)

Given it's a fluffy list, I've tried to build each of them with minimal troops while utilising the kind of units you'd see in use sneaking through enemy lines, so the Veterans and HQ would, in reality, be held back waiting as a reserve while Seekers and the like did the dirty work.

In the list below, the two minimal veteran squads are there to provide short-range firepower/anti-tank in the form of the meltagun and bolters, while the powerfist squad can back up the small command squad, or its fellow veteran squad. The Seekers are intended to serve as the main anti-horde unit and to hinder TEQ with the BS6 that they get for being IF's + Preferred Enemy+the Rending ammo. The command squad itself along with the Praetor are designed as my main CC unit, and the Devs pull double duty as anti-tank/anti-personnel.

So, without further ado;

Legion Praetor = 150 Points
- Artificer Armour
- Plasma Pistol
- Power Weapon (Axe)
- Mastercrafted Weapon
- Melta Bombs
- Master Of The Legion
-- Pride of the Legion

Legion Command Squad = 160 Points
- 3x Legion Chosen
- 1x Legion Standard Bearer
- 4x Power Weapons (Axes)

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad = 140 Points
- 1x Legion Veteran Sergeant
-- Bolter, Powerfist
- 4x Legion Veterans
-- Bolters
- Furious Charge

- 3x Legion Veterans
-- Bolters
- 1x Legion Veteran
-- Meltagun
- Tank Hunters

Legion Seeker Squad = 250 Points
- 1x Legion Strike Sergeant
-- Bolter
- 9x Legion Seekers
-- Bolters

Legion Heavy Support Squad = 160 Points
- 1x Legion Sergeant
-- Missile Launcher
- 4x Legion Marines
-- Missile Launchers

Army Total = 1000 Points

This list is the one I wrote initially; much as with the list above, the two minimal veteran squads are there to provide short-range firepower/anti-tank in the form of the meltagun and bolters, while the powerfist squad can back up the small command squad, or its fellow veteran squad. Recon Squads are there to support them and preoccupy the enemy with little embuggerances as Sir Terry Pratchett would have said.

The Seekers this time are intended to serve as the main infantry units in both an anti-MEQ/TEQ with the BS6 that they get for being IF's + Preferred Enemy+the Rending ammo. As with before, the command squad itself along with the Praetor are designed as my main CC unit, and the two Devastator units pull double duty as anti-tank/anti-personnel, but the work should be a little easier with two of them.

Legion Praetor = 185 Points
- Artificer Armour
- Plasma Pistol
- Power Weapon
- Mastercrafted Weapon
- Digital Lasers
- Iron Halo
- Master Of The Legion
-- Pride of the Legion

Legion Command Squad = 160 Points
- 3x Legion Chosen
- 1x Legion Standard Bearer
- 4x Power Weapons

Legion Reconnaissance Squad = 145 Points
- 1x Legion Sergeant
-- Bolter
- 4x Legion Space Marines
-- Sniper Rifles

Legion Reconnaissance Squad = 145 Points
- 1x Legion Sergeant
-- Bolter
- 4x Legion Space Marines
-- Sniper Rifles

-- Bolter, Powerfist
- 4x Legion Veterans
-- Bolters
- Furious Charge

- 3x Legion Veterans
-- Bolters
- 1x Legion Veteran
-- Meltagun
- Tank Hunters

-- Bolter
- 9x Legion Seekers
-- Bolters

-- Bolter
- 9x Legion Seekers
-- Bolters

-- Bolter
- 9x Legion Seekers
-- Bolters

- 1x Legion Sergeant
-- Missile Launcher
- 4x Legion Marines
-- Missile Launchers

- 1x Legion Sergeant
-- Missile Launcher
- 4x Legion Marines
-- Missile Launchers

Army Total = 1985 Points

I present you with Av14 Spartans and Land Raiders + Contemptors.

What do you do?

This is exactly why I came here. I've not played much in recent years, it's only 30k that's perked my interest in gaming again, so to me missile launchers with S8 krak missiles are 'good enough' for most vehicles; as you've pointed out, a lot of the most common walkers and tanks in the game are at the point where I'd need to be sinking everything I've got at them just to scratch them to death. I've tinkered about with one of my 2000 points variant lists, knocking out a recon squad and thirty tac marines in order to use a converted Stormblade lurking in the garage, but that's just one reliable AV14-killer that can be easily killed itself. Am I better off equipping the Devs with lascannons, or using my veterans as elites with tank hunters and two meltas to back the Stormblade up?

One of the best Tank Killers out there right now is the LasVindicator. If it stands still it can fire its LasDestroyer (S9 Ap1) as Ordnance 3 instead of 1.

Take 3 of them (theyre pretty cheap pointswise, considering) and you're dishing out 9 Ordnance shots a turn. Even a Spartan with Flare Shields will have a hard time.

Also, going to tell you right now: MSU without transports in 30k is pretty much a death sentence especially with 5 man squads. Why? S8 and powerful templates are pretty abundant.

You also have to pay a premium for most squads in 30k with each additional marine beyond the initial buy-in being cheaper.

• Example: 10 man Tac Squad = 150. 15ppm. Each additional marine? 10ppm. 20 man blob = 250points.

Which means you'd probably be better off fusing as many of your current squads right now and freeing up some points and Slots. Especially for Heavy Support and Elites. Those are some of the most contested slots.

As an aside, in the HS slot, Heavy Support squads are probably one of the weaker options outside of say, Volkite Culverin Squads for mowing down Infantry.

So, take a look at the Entries available, fuse some squads and try to check most of these off:

• Anti-Blob
  • Anti-TEQ
  • Anti-Av14+
  • Anti-Air

Check all of those off successfully (even better with Redundancy) and your list should be good to go. Though, for flyers, unless you know you'll be facing off against them a lot, you can make due without any AA.

Archived