Previan rules question

caprera

When the new consul type was released I modified my old Raven Guard list. I wanted a mechanicum presence and here a good HQ.

I sent my list to those friends I play with and they doubted I could field my Thallax squad. They came up with the "doubt" that the Previan is not a Forgelord and that he can only allow the maniple that comes with him.

Did I miss something or what ?

Yes, but the Praevian does have a Cortex Controller which allows you to take Thallax as optional Heavy Support. So you can have a unit of Castellax or Vorax which the Praevian accompanies and then a unit of Thallax of Castellax as Heavy Support due to Cortex Controller. 

In other words, yes you can have Thallax with your Raven Guard. MOAR ROBOTS!

In book 2 pg. 192 it says that "Any Forge lord with a Cortex Controller..."" can take robots in heavy support. Unless this has been updated in another book your friends may be right unfortunately.

Yes, that was my point. I think that the rule allowing Thallax as support is just linked to the Cortex. So if a MoS could have it it would be the same.

Previan rule says nothing against it In my opinion...

Previan says nothing against it bu the rules for the Cortex Controller itself does. Again, I want to state that unless the rule for the Cortex Controller has been updated only a forge lord with a cortex controller unlocks them as an option. I haven't check book 4 or 5 for an update on it yet as Im still at work. So there may be something in there.

legions astartes crusade list book: 

p.78, under thallax- "the unit may only be in the army under certain provisions, see cortex controller p. 89"

p.89, under cortex controller- "the presence of the cortex controller within 12" of part of a unit of friendly models with the programmed behaviour special rule at the start of any phase means that special rule is negated for that phase and their controlling player is free to use them on any other unit"

no mention of what unit can use it. A fluff blurb about adepts of admech and forgelord, but that's fluff, not rules, and written before praevian rules out.

p.192 in book two is simply an addition that allows a forge lord to take a cortex controller, something he could not do in book 1. in the crusade book, it is already added to his wargear under the consul option.

So, RAW you can take the optional castellax and thallax heavy support, with a praevian, since all you need is to have a cortex controller in your army (a role the forge lord could only fill previously). 

Also, since thallax don't actually suffer from prgrammed behaviour, they dont need to stay within range of the praevian and his bodyguard of castellax/vorax.

an addendum to that is that the additional HS battle automata do not benefit from the praevian's legion tactics, like his couterie of bodyguard robutts do. 

Paz, thanks for the rule clarification. I've just double checked, and you're correct; there is no mention of only Forge Lords having it, and that Thallaxi and Castellax require only the presence of one. Going by the rules on page 192 of book 2, then your friends would be correct; however, using the most recent version of the rules (that of the Red Book), you'd be able to field them with only Praevian present.

RAW? use whichever book you have. You have Book 2, but no Red Book? Then only the presence of a Forge Lord allows it. You have Red Book? Fill your boots.

Archived