IF 1k help needed!

cassian dracos

My local gaming group is starting up a Horus heresy based campaign. Currently there are 17 people joined with 9 traitors and 8 loyalists. We are starting off with 1000 point armies ( which I think is to small but hey) and I could use some help with my army list. I want this army to be a good all-round, reasonably competitive list so tear this to shreds if you need to. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

HQ - 230

Sigismund (230)

Troops - (414)

11 man tactical squad w/ ccw and bolters + vexilla +meltabombs(Sigismund goes in here) (197)

11 man tactical squad w/ ccw and bolters + vexilla +nuncio-vox +power sword +meltabombs (217)

Elites - (360)

mortis contemptor w/ twin kheres (180)

3x thud gun rapiers. (180)

If my calculations are right the list comes to 1004 points (my group allows up to 5 points over the limit so its fine).

Honestly I'd not put sigi in a 1k list, maybe 1850 but a quarter of your points in 1 dude without reliable transport is too much.

I'd grab a vigilator with combi something and attach him and an apothecary to one of the squads, throw them in a rhino and have some turn 1 fun in the opponents backfield.

Maybe give the contemptor twin autocannons for a lil longer range loving, closer match to the rapiers distance for concentrated field of fire.

Armor will be your bane- luckily it's a 1k list so hopefully no high AV targets to try and HP glance to death with the rapiers. Yes you have MB but as yet no reliable delivery system to get them close enough to work. With low av targets your bolter Fire at bs5 will light them up, rapiers and kheres for med av and then at higher points values bring some big guns and more bodies.

No one is being cheap enough to use a land raider or bigger in my group.

If I was going to give the mortis autocannons I would just use a dredereo instead and get use of sunder.

I don't see the point in the vigilator.

As for Sigismund I was kinda hoping people would love him alone because he is really good but I see your point. However a lot of people are running big characters in my group so I took him as a counter.

The alternative is a praetor w/ digilasers, solarite gauntlet and an iron halo which gives me an extra 65 points to play with.

If you want to run Sigismund you could consider running the Pride of the Legion and get Terminators and vet tac squads as troops i only ever play 1000 point games in Zone mortalis, for that I am using the Stone Gauntlet. That is a delegatus with a Paragon blade and a boarding shield x2 breacher squads and a 15 man Phalanx warder squad with X3 plasma guns, that is 36 T5 3+ 5++/6++ save. not bad. but in a regular game i would steer clear of that kind of list. How about this:

(Close to your original list, added volkite because Choom)

1005pts

HQ
Sigismund

Troops
Legion Tactical Squad (11), Legion Vexilla,Artificer Armour

Legion Tactical Squad (11), Legion Vexilla,Artificer Armour

Legion Tactical Support Squad (10) Volkite Calivers, Artificer Armour

Elites
Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (X3) thudd guns

My group won't be playing zone mortalis unfortunately so a list like the that although good cannot deal with flyers and is not flexible enough.

The original list doesn't lack anti infantry fire power, with the every unit providing it in some form. So the tactical support squad seems like a bad change to the army.

Archived