Allied Detachment Question

Rodmor

Hi Guys,

I´ve got a quick question about the number of allied detachments you can have in one army?

I am planning on playing a mixture of Guard (obviously) as the primary detachment, Tempestus as my allied detachment ( because of thier orders) an Vindicare Assasin (not sure if he counts as his own detatchment) and Inquisitorial forces.

So i am not sure, if im allowed to take that.

Hopefully, this diagram will help:

gallery_23369_1806_92051.jpg

In short, you can take any combination of Detachment or Formations to form a Battleforged army. With regards to an Allied Detachment, this has to be a different Faction from your Primary Detachment (whereby your Primary Detachment is the one which contains your Warlord). Note that an Assassin and an Inquisitor each form a separate Faction Specific Detachment on that diagram (and are called an Officio Assassinorum Detachment and an Inquisitorial Detachment respectively).

From what you have said, I could have two 'combined arms' detachments in the army as long as they were from different factions and only one of them had the Warlord in it.

Is that right?

This begs the question, are Elysians technically the same faction as regular Imperial guard? If so, that kind of invalidates my whole army list. 

Bear in mind that diagram is just an example drawn from a tournament format, technically you can have as many CADs, ADs, other faction specific detachments, and formations as your points limit will support. 

Also bear in mind, if one detachment is unbound, the whole army is unbound, thus losing any command benefits you had (like objective secured). It's all or nothing, everything follows a force org chart (not unbound) or none of it does (all unbound). 

/edit/

I wonder how the new "detachment of formations" will affect the Bay area open format. 

With how fast GW is changing the force selection paradigm, I would hate to try organizing a tournament nowadays. Back in the day, it was "follow the FOC, everything WYSIWYG, Inquisition allies OK for SM, IG and SoB." Lately they have to come up with multiple page treatises explaining what's cool and not for a tournament. It seems like every event has its own standards! It's gotten to the point where I have to screen events simply based on their requirements, and not real life things like "where is it?" and "how much does it cost?" wacko.png

Archived