Valtens Ultramarines 3rd Company

_Valten_

And so starts a new project - an Ultramarines force of the 3rd Company.  It's been a while since I did a project and posted the results online, but I thought that this would be a good opportunity.  It'll be a slow project - I've got my first baby due in November so they'll be some gaps, but the idea behind this thread is to show my progress as I recreated the entire 3rd Company.

Before the new Space Marine Codex had landed, I had been discussing with my gaming group my vision of owning an entire company; and the fact that the boys in blue generally get a lot of hate.  I was also sick of seeing every Ultramarine online in 2nd Company colours - too much gold for my liking.  I enjoy painting red, and there wasn't too much fluff surrounding the 3rd Company.

Then the Codex landed and there were pages of 3rd Company Ultramarines throughout.  Next the Sons of Ultramar painting guide which not only contains plenty of 3rd Company fluff but also gives a complete breakdown of the entire company; squad by squad.  It's actually a great read; and apart from the loadout of one of the Devastator squads I'm intending to match it.

So, to start (and show at least 1 picture in this opening thread).  Every company needs a Captain. Mikail Fabian, Master of the Arsenal is depicted with a power sword and combi-grav.  I don't like the idea of combi weapons on a man that should see combat.  I'd also like to use the model as a counts as Sicarius should the mood take me; so I'm giving him a plasma pistol.  I've managed to get hold of the 2nd web exclusive Space Marine Captain that GW did a while ago, so I'm using him for my base.  That, along with the Ultramarines upgrade sprue and some Sternguard bits has resulted in the following:

KvRQrA.jpg

Overall I'm really happy with the results.  Swapping the hand on the long power sword was a bit of a pain but the result looks good in the end.  He still needs a bit of greenstuff, and the scabbard needs hollowing out a little but the general idea is there.

The question is; 32mm (like the regular guys will be on), or 40mm for my characters?

Small update today.  Done a little greenstuff to round the front plate off - the model itself should have the sword in skull scabbard but the scabbard isn't long enough to fit the sword he's carrying.  There's also a little work tidying the join between the sword hilt and his left hand.

Finally, I've changed his left shoulder pad to the fancy eagle one from the Sternguard box - I really liked the other one with the raised edge but I feel that this one balances the model out a but more.  They'll be plenty of red on the model so I don't really need another red rimmed shoulder pad to show that he's 3rd company.

jxq9tY.jpg35UvZj.jpg

I've got the strangest feeling that there is just something missing on the Captain, but I just can't put my finger on it...

So tonight I decided that Ultramarine Captains must have leather lappets. Lots of cutting ensued.

It's too dark for pics now so hopefully the changes I've made look good tomorrow...

I've got the strangest feeling that there is just something missing on the Captain, but I just can't put my finger on it...

umm, paint?

yeesss(rubs hands)  pteruges, good, good. 

can't wait to see this bad boy painted.

Wow, It's good.. no, great.. no Awesome! 

Captain Fabian is hansome in Sons of Ultramar book, but actual model is not cool as your model. 

I'm making a 2nd Company, this model give a big inspiration to me. I look foward to painted version!

and quick question, where's banner you can get? 

Pteruges - that's the word I was looking for thanks GrandMagnus.  I've actually used the pteruges from the Ultramarine upgrade kit - they've got nice Ultramarine chapter symbols hanging from them and I thought they'd look more fitting on the Captain as opposed to say, a Company Champion.

Without further ado, here are a couple of pics!

bvT5xP.jpgZ2xD9w.jpg

Overall I think I've done Ok with the conversion - still needs a bit of tidying up and then a touch of liquid green stuff to fill any cracks but the overall effect was what I was looking for.  I've cut up a Sternguard chest piece in order to get the nice gut plate.

My Captain almost matches the image from the Sons of Ultramar guide (as shown on the GW blog) shown below, except I've given him a Plasma Pistol as opposed to a Combi-Grav:

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources//blogs/2015/06/17/FIO6ZKJTERU6XAUB27LLKI6T7CZV5JA4/2xl.jpg

@etzhayim - the model itself is based on the second web exclusive Space Marine Captain.  I recently managed to get hold of one off a mate, but the model hardly looks like it anymore.  The best parts of it are the cloak and the backpack in my opinion:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MmmE4c6nJJs/U0nE3ElenlI/AAAAAAAAI10/TytSz9sBFI8/s1600/second-space-marines-captain.jpg

So, a little bit of tidying up and then I can move onto his base - I need supplies for the base which I may be able to get today before I start experimenting.

Update time, and I've managed to get quite a lot done over the weekend. Nothing in terms of growing the company but I've started playing about with bases and colour schemes.

So, bases. When the idea of starting an Ultramarine force popped into my head, I knew that I wanted to do rubble bases. There's a few reasons for this - 1) I've done them before for my Saim Hann Eldar and they look awesome, 2) they allow you to give height to a base without infringing on the model itself, and 3) the height allows you to not use flying stems when basing things like speeders and flyers.

So ruins were a go. However, when I was looking through the Sons of Ultramar painting guide (well worth the purchase by the way), and the images of the 3rd company in the new Codex; I realised just how dark the new Ultramarines seem to be. I suppose I still had impressions of 2nd Edition where everything was bright and colourful (and 2nd Company was painted with yellow not gold!).

Anyway, I really like the darker Ultramarines, but I thought that it may be too dark for the base itself.

And so I played with snow.

Xz1e5l.jpg

Now there are plenty of ways of doing snow on bases. I've previously played with the snow flock available from GW, but it's far too furry. Mixing Soft Snow Flake and Water Effects produced a nice, fairly realistic snow effect on a test base.

6bOXdR.jpg

The next thing to do was to construct some bases. Now, with ruin bases I've found that you don't actually need to cover the entire base with materials - the texture of the base itself is pretty good and fairly consistent with floors in ruins. Bits of barbed wire, pipes, the odd piece of broken Chaos armour (probably to be painted in Word Bearers colours after seeing the epic display at Warhammer World) are ample. Here's 3 bases that I made. The one on the left will be for Fabian, whilst the other 2 are for testing.

fmeXc6.jpggbG8L1.jpg

I decided to paint one of the bases up without a model on, just so I could see how the finish would be.

JL9MhQ.jpg

Now, I like the weathering but the snow was a little 'slushy' for my liking. I had originally thought that I had put too much on, but it would appear that I'll need more on the base in order to stop the grey seeping through. I'm also not a fan with how the blood came out. Blood for the Blood God is a really nice paint; but the effect is just too bright on the snow. I think I'll do without.

Time to paint a marine!

For the test I've used a combination of the scheme outlined in the Sons of Ultramar guide, and that of the 'Eavy Metal Masterclass for the Space Marine Librarian (also worth a download by the way!).

Started off by spraying the model with Macragge Blue, then adding in some shading using Macragge Blue and Abbadon Black 50:50 as a glaze. This is then highlighted with Macragge Blue and Calgar Blue 50:50, then Calgar Blue, then Fenrisian Grey. Whilst I was painting it I thought that the Grey was a bit too bright and in your face so I shaded parts down again with a little Macragge Blue. I finally put a layer of Guilliman Blue glaze over the armour to help blend in the shade with the base colour.

ujhIXD.jpgJng4n3.jpgdcv8E8.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with the colour. I need to spend more time with the shade though, and maybe add an additional black shade to the recesses in order to help separate the plates a bit. I tried the new transfer set, which is cool; but A) I had trouble putting the transfer on the curved shoulder pad, and cool.png with the model shaded, a solid white symbol just looks out of place. With that I freehanded the symbols on the shoulder pad. Again, when I come to do an actual model I'll take more time with this - the tactical arrow is a bit lob-sided and the Ultramarine symbol just isn't quite right.

xo0QoC.jpg

As you can see above, this is the same model but with snow on it. The snow came out much better this time. However, the more time I spend comparing the model with and without snow, the more I'm leaning towards keeping the snow off - the blue isn't too dark in my opinion.

Either way, I'm going to knock up another test model to see on improving the armour and symbols. I want to make sure I'm 100% happy with the colour scheme before I start working on Fabian.

Archived