How are Black Templar crusades structured?

Giarc

Somewhere between 3rd edition Armageddon codex, and 4th edition black Templar codex, there was a change.

In Armageddon all bt had the same scheme, simple black armor black cross on white shoulder with black trim. Then variations and splashes of red started to show up in white dwarf magazines.

Gw only said that because the chapter was so large and they lacked rigid structure individual initiates would have variations in their personal heraldry.

One thing over looked here is that while yes crusaders are formed and disbanded as needed with whatever elements are needed from what is available, the same originally went for our squads. The only real unit in bt is the knight and his squire. Initiate and neophyte. Initiates band together as needed to form crusader squads. Typically based upon mutual goals and disposition.

Well from Helsreach we know that marines can be released from the Sword Brethren if they are no longer up to snuff.  If anything since it's mentioned that Cador was "released with all honour when his advancing age and increasing bionics left him less the exemplar he'd been before" I'd say it's not an uncommon occurrence.  Bastilan though was specifically named as being a Sergeant.  As he was a "a leader but not a commander- an inspiring presence, but not a strategist."  I also know in the Of Mars trilogy that Tanna was titled Brother-Sergeant.

Our organizations may be ad-hoc at every level but even if the title wasn't exactly considered formal I'd assume that each squad has some kind of leader.

That is always how I assumed it worked - a squad would essentially 'pick' their own sergeant based on experience and ability. They would fight alongside each other out of familiarity, and they would choose their squad leaders for as long as required. They're an honourable bunch so I cant imagine it would be that complicated!

Archived