A Heretical Idea...

This is what I am thinking of to base an army around. It absolutely bludgeons the fluff player in me but in my local meta, fluff has already been beaten, stabbed, shot and hung out on display. Anyhow, take a look at this. I welcome your thoughts and opinions. The list uses three sources as that is what is allowed in the ITC events that I play in.

AM/SM/INQ

Priest

30 Guardsmen, 3 lascannons

Librarius Conclave

Tigurius

4 ML2 Librarians

Inquisition

Coteaz

890 points

This group forms a single psychic death star. The librarians roll on telepathy until they get invisibility and then switch to malefic to use as a summoning battery. The summoning would initially be used to produce pink horrors for additional warp charges and then switch to daemonettes to swamp the board with. This gives me 12 warp charge base and I could add in an astropath or maybe a primaris or two for extra charges. This unit also has decent interceptor ability as anyone landing from reserves is going to be welcomed by Coteaz's special ability.

This leaves me with 960 pts to support it with. How can I best support this psychic death star? 

The biggest threat I see is a culexus dropping in and ruining my ability to generate warp charge. Perhaps a 50 man conscript blob to push out the bubble that the culexus could influence? 

Thoughts:

Skyshield landing pad to provide a 4++ invul save.

Giving one or two librarians terminator armor to tank.

Maybe a wyvern or two because...well they're wyverns.

I'm open to suggestions.

+edited to correct points cost+

You'll need a PCS, unbound doesn't let you pick elements from a unit choice as far as I'm aware (the wording is a bit woolly though if I remember right). I'd check with your opponent first to be sure on that.

I don't really like gimmick lists, as a one trick pony usually only lasts for one game as surprise is often one of the factors of success. I think it could do well though, but again you're relying on certain rolls and for things to work out which makes the plan more fragile. What happens if an opponent turns up with a Culexus assassin for example?

You should give the Inquisitor psychic powers too, get some more dice going as you may as well go all in right? :P Perhaps the real question is if you have the models to do this, as that could be a lot of daemons to place on the table...

Ewwwww....deamons....

Yeah, looks like you're missing some of the basic stuff from the IG bit. If you're going all-in on the psykers, you might as well throw in a pair of primarises for another 4 dice. 

Wyverns would be a good call, some acolytes or vets with plasma guns for Coteaz's interceptor?

You're also lacking aa or any serious anti-armour stuff.

1. Heresy.

2. Wouldn’t it be easier to just run Daemons? If you want Summonstar just run Summonstar.

3. Ally in IG if you still want to be “imperial”… thought you’ve already crossed the line.

Some valid points have been brought up but I'll share my thought process to address those concerns:

Unbound: The list will not be unbound. The points above include the cost of a PCS; I just didn't list the PCS because it isn't in the blob specifically. Apologies that it wasn't clear. I still need to add a HQ and another troop.

Culexus: This is indeed a valid point and I think use of conscripts or some other buffer would be needed to push out the bubble of his influence.

Coteaz: He is already an ML2 psyker so that further buffs my warp charge giving me 13 dice as the base. Initially I am considering putting him with the blob as it puts out an impressive amount of shots at close range.

Getting the right powers: Summoning is the primaris power for Malefic. Guaranteed to get it. Invisibility is a nice to have but not a necessity with this list.

Why not just play daemons?: I think you get more efficient casting power with the Conclave. You're casting powers on a 2+. You can reliably throw 3 dice at it and succeed. If you use Tigurius you can re-roll failed psychic tests.

Being out-classed: That is a possibility but I have more efficient casting power and a ML3 dude doing the heavy work so I don't think it as cut and dry as it seems. I'll need to play test it.

Heresy: whistlingW.gif Fluff is dead in competitive play. Sadly, it's all about powerful combos.

This list is still very much in the concept phase. I am trying to figure out what to support it with. Anti-tank is a must. Anti-air is important. So, really, I'm building about a 1000pt list to support the psychic battery. It may very well be garbage but I'll have to play test it to see whether or not it is viable.

Archived