Imperial Bunker question

Brendaen

I know this question should probably have been posted to the general forum, but I prefer to hang out here....

Couldn't find this answer in the rules: An Imperial bunker holds 20 troops. Can I put 2 ten man squads in one?

With 8 models being able to shoot out of it, I'd like to put the bunker in my backfield next to an objective with 2 veteran squads in it, firing 6 special weapons and 2 heavies out of it.

No. You want the section "Entering & Exiting Buildings" in the Battlefield Terrain section:

Moving into or out of a building works the same as embarking or disembarking from a vehicle, including emergency disembarkations. Jump Infantry and Jet Pack Infantry can embark inside buildings.

All of the normal rules apply, so only one Infantry unit, plus any Independent Characters that have joined them, may occupy a building at one time.

Space Marine Combat Squads split from the same squad are an exception where both can board the same vehicle, therefore both can occupy the same building, but I can't think of any others.

An Imperial Bunker does have a roof with battlements though. You can put the second squad up there where they'll benefit from a 4+ cover save.

To maximize to capacity. I could throw a 20 man Infantry blob in there, stick the HWTs on the roof, and then have the PCS sitting near by in a Chimera issuing orders to the HWTs.

I could also stick an allied Commissar tank next to the bunker to give everyone a leadership boost...

Liking this idea more and more...

Impeccable timing on this question as I was going to ask something quite similar:

Are fortifications such as Wall of Martyrs: Bunker, WoM: Firestorm Redoubt or Vengeance Battery generally worth it?

Since the obvious answer is "well it depends" I will elaborate:

I am slowly building up an IG artillery list. It's a fairly static army which I know is bad for maelstrom, yea yea, but that's the point. For me this army is the complete opposite end of the spectrum from my beloved BA: the blow-you-to-smithereens-from-across-the-map Ying to my stab-you-in-the-face-Turn-1 BA Yang.

It seems quite useful to be able to throw up some AV14 to protect my Command Squad or a HWT. The Firestorm sounds pretty awesome doing that PLUS adding EIGHT Lascannons w/ Skyfire/Interceptor on top. Only thing is apparently it costs 200pts. That seems like an awful lot for something like that.

WoM: Bunker is 55pts in comparison, right? I currently don't have any AA so that's the other draw to the Firestorm Redoubt. Plus EIGHT Lascannons could do some work even if they are snap shooting at Land Raiders.

Thanks.

Seems like a waste of capacity. I guess they could at least fit a couple of kegs and a couple of couches in there.....

You can have 20 battle sisters in one squad...pillow fight at the sleepover!

Impeccable timing on this question as I was going to ask something quite similar:

Are fortifications such as Wall of Martyrs: Bunker, WoM: Firestorm Redoubt or Vengeance Battery generally worth it?

Since the obvious answer is "well it depends" I will elaborate:

I am slowly building up an IG artillery list. It's a fairly static army which I know is bad for maelstrom, yea yea, but that's the point. For me this army is the complete opposite end of the spectrum from my beloved BA: the blow-you-to-smithereens-from-across-the-map Ying to my stab-you-in-the-face-Turn-1 BA Yang.

It seems quite useful to be able to throw up some AV14 to protect my Command Squad or a HWT. The Firestorm sounds pretty awesome doing that PLUS adding EIGHT Lascannons w/ Skyfire/Interceptor on top. Only thing is apparently it costs 200pts. That seems like an awful lot for something like that.

WoM: Bunker is 55pts in comparison, right? I currently don't have any AA so that's the other draw to the Firestorm Redoubt. Plus EIGHT Lascannons could do some work even if they are snap shooting at Land Raiders.

Well...FRD is the gold standard of air defense, two quad icarus lascannons that can't be decoyed by a cheap ground target.  Two VWBs with the same guns is 150, so you're paying 70 points for the bunker and the ability to ignore ground targets with the guns, as long as there are fliers on the board...not a bad deal, really.  You need to remember at all times that both the VWB and the FRD has autonomous guns, you don't pick the target, they shoot at the nearest valid target, with the caveat that the FRD ignores ground targets if there are enemy fliers on the table.  Excellent air defense, but don't think you can say "well, I'm going to disregard the valk in front and blast the trailing vendetta out of the sky!"  The bunker on its own...not bad.  I use two VWBs, I try to deploy them behind terrain so they lose LOS to as much of the table as possible while preserving LOS to the airspace over the table...solid terrain about 4-6" high works best...Also, keep in mind that the VWBs don't have to shoot first...if there's a rhino closer to them than the flier, they have to shoot the rhino...unless you destroy the rhino with something else first!  Enter the autocannons...

I like the idea of the Wall of Martyrs bunker with an Escape Hatch. Deploy on the edge of your deployment zone, hatch 12" into no-mans land...... get to do your very own "great escape" but with guns etc.......

The Firestorm Redoubt doesn't have 8 lascannons, it has 2 Quad Icarus Lascannons. All those extra barrels just make them heavy 2, twin-linked.

Is it worth it? Well, when it's on the other side of the table, I'm glad it doesn't cost any less.

For an artillery list fortifications can be very useful to form a defensive line. They'd also be fantastic for the theme of the army, you could really work in some cool stuff such as a WWI look etc :)

I have already hijacked this thread enough but sometime I can go into the details of my homespun fluff for my list. Actually kind of unintentionally Perturabo-esque where they are a society that values Trigonometry and such over all else...

I've always found fortifications something of a deathtrap for guardsmen.

A lascannon hit on a platoon will kill one guardsman, tops. If it hits a bunker with a bunch of guys in it, they can take a bunch of extra wounds from the collapsing masonry. xD6 S6 AP- hits on guardsmen REALLY hurt. Like, a lot.  

The way I see it

+ You protect your guardsmen from anti-personnel fire

- but you make them much more vulnerable to anti-tank fire

To maximize to capacity. I could throw a 20 man Infantry blob in there, stick the HWTs on the roof, and then have the PCS sitting near by in a Chimera issuing orders to the HWTs.

Does the unit count as "embarked" if it is on the roof of a building? Because I believe that would preclude the HWTs from receiving orders.

Archived