wyverns

Emprah2508

Ah, well played. I'm so dense sometimes. For those wondering, Battlefoam is pushing a big 4th of July sale. This is a great time to get some high quality foam!!! biggrin.png

(I don't work for BF, but I looooove their product. Great company in my book!) cool.png

I am scratch building .y own counts as wyvern using the same foot print and height of the real model for WYSIWYG as of now the build is learning towrds a mini parralel with a mortar pit  or a mix with sections like the adl to tie it into that aswell as the overall theme

I'm actually designing my build on a counts as thudd gun battery, it wouldn't be hard to adapt that design to fit in the back of a chimera chassis. Real world inspiration:

http://www.army-guide.com/images/mortar_weyriwue1.jpg

the M113 variant that carries a 120mm mortar.

Understood.  After playing a few weeks of Armored Warfare, I'm really falling in love with the M113's design.  I understand it's generally considered the "inspiration" for the Space Marine Rhino, but it'd be sweet to do an army with some of those in place of Chimeras/Rhinos.

In fact, I think the Griffon from older IG codices is pretty much along the lines of what you're looking for.  Were you thinking to do something like that?

Quick Wyvern question... I didn't think this deserved it's own thread.  Hope my explanation below makes sense...

I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this vehicle without being a cheater :)

Wyvern has two twin link Stormshard mortar.

Heavy 2, Barrage, etc

Now those guns are separate right.  I resolve the two shots for the first mortar.  Now start over and it's a new set of scatters for the second gun?

I go to fire the first gun...

So I target a squad, aim the plate, roll the scatter die and 2d6.

I know I am allowed to reroll this if I want.

Now for the second shot, I roll just the scatter die - am I allowed to reroll this one?

If I can reroll the second scatter die... do I also have to reroll the initial scatter die and 2d6?

They are separate weapons yes, but as part of the multiple barrage rules unite to fire at once (page 160). When a unit (i.e. a single Wyvern, or a squadron of them) fires their barrage weapons they all add into a single shooting attack. So that works out as a 4 shot barrage for a single Wyvern squadron, 8 shot for two etc.

The re-roll doesn't extend to the second+ markers individually (mentions only the initial scatter and 2D6 roll) but the blast rules (page 158) make no mention of when the decision to make the re-roll takes place save for after the initial roll to hit, so you can make this at any time before you roll to wound.

So by RAW you could place all four templates (or more) and count the hits before deciding you didn't like the placement and elect to take your re-roll from the start. Your opponent might not like this and it would make the process even more time consuming but I can't see any other interpretation for it. I hadn't thought of this previously, so it makes the Wyvern that bit better!

That's right Ulrik, every barrage weapon in a unit fires as part of the same attack -  measured from the closest firing barrage weapon/model. This is what let us do some clever artillery spotting back when we had Griffons and mixed squadrons. You'd place the Griffon closest where it would "spot" better thanks to its re-roll rule and then you'd drop a couple of Bassie pie plates down afterwards. The good old days! :lol:

Help me understand why they're so good:

Two Twin-Linked Uber Mortars that have Rending, Blast, Ordnance, Ignore Cover (did I miss anything/is anything wrong?)...so when I shoot there's two large templates that fire two templates each that ignore cover and re-roll "to Wounds"?

Each Stormshard Mortar is a S4 AP6, Heavy 2 Barrage, Blast, Ignores Cover, Shred killing machine. That's two Stormshards per Wyvern too - so quite the collection of shots and special rules there. It fires the small blast template, but that's more than enough with up to 4 shots depending on if you moved.

These rules are pretty nice, not spectacular but good. Being able to re-roll and the number of shots/potential wounds is the main appeal coupled with the low cost of the tank. That's the reason why it's a good choice- a couple will not break the bank at all but can decimate enemy infantry. Light infantry is annihilated without mercy and even heavy infantry fall under the weight of dice.

Which is all well and good - but perhaps the best thing about the Wyvern is how the flechettes are shaped into little aquilas. Truly we are His hammer! laugh.png

Also Barrage means you don't need LOS so the tanks can last quite a while.  48" range means you can hit anywhere you want, and Ignores Cover is MASSIVE in the 7th edition meta.

As the Commissar says, they're not individually that scary but you can take a battery on the cheap and bury the opponent in Blast markers.  They also can't threaten vehicles much, but nearly any Infantry squad can be worn down over the course of a game.  Pound for pound, Wyverns are the best anti-horde option in the game, though some players will argue for their favorites (Ork Big Guns are a common competitor).

Yep, they've got to be one of the most efficient units out there and easily among the "best" picks in our codex. If you're ever in doubt, just remember that it has full re-rolls! You re-roll to hit and to wound - that's a hell of a lot of reliability and reliability is what removes enemy models and wins games :)

I don't want to see my enemies driven before me... I want them dead at my feet. When I survey the field I want to be stepping over piles of bodies. Let none remain standing before the Emperor's might!

Seriously though the wyvern is great and you should get some, like 9 of them... Ok be more sensible, get 4, 2 squadrons of 2, and magnetize them so you can use them as hydras too...

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen them be very effective, but I see now that everyone I've played against (to include my own wyverns) has been playing them wrong. Warriorfish, you're right.  The rules just allow the one re-roll to hit, not each successful scatter. Taking that into account, I'll still say its a decent unit for the 65 points. I think a squadron of two is the right answer.

The argument for the rerolls could go either way. I've gone down many a forum rabbit hole searching for a definitive answer. What it boils down to is the two people playing, and if need be, a 4+ ruling.

I wish GW would just FAQ it already. It's a pretty contentious issue.

Archived