SM Biker lords with rough riders

bozo69pd

Hey guys so I got like 40 rough riders. I want them to be good but they are pretty sucky lets face it. Looking at all these new codex I am considering ally in some SM or DA HQ on bike and attach them to said riders.

So far I am looking at 3 chapters:

DA: I could take samiel and his cool jetbike and stick him in a big blob of rough riders so they don't lose their fleet but gain skilled rider I think. That doesn't really sound good enough though so I would prolly take the (weaker) DA librarius conclave formation stick them all on bikes and put one with each unit of rough riders. Ezekiel would just go in a blob of guard. Roll up some tastey invis/shrouding/prescience/rending powers and begin shenanigans.

White Scars: I don't really want to do this because its always white scars this and white scars that. They are clearly the best though. I hear I can get some hit and run and skilled rider shenanigans. Might have to take that Khan or something. Can use the Librarius Conclave.

Ravenguard: No idea what these guys do but I am interested... I think I heard that they got worse though.

The easiest thing to do would be DA because I have 3 DV boxes (so 9 of their bikers and a ton of troops/termies) but I could always call them counts as. Any ideas or has anyone done something similar? Can use the Librarius Conclave as well.

Do Rough Riders actually receive any bonuses from allied SM commanders? I'd have thought that any bonuses would be reserved for members of their own chapter... not mere humans.

You need to check the individual rules to be sure, special rules aren't shared between squads and independent characters unless the rule says it is, but things like Hit and Run and Skilled Rider apply to the entire squad if any one model has it.

If you're gonna do it, I'd just use the IH beatstick Chapter Master on a bike to tank the wounds, whilst the rest of the guys kill stuff.

Or you could use them as Death Riders - there's a DR detachment in the newest Vraks book, I think

Why would a space marine lord go to battle with a bunch of guard? What would his troops think or feel about this?

This is one part of the game I think has seriously lost it's way.

There's freedom to forge narative with the current rules set but it opens it up to abuse and those who abuse this freedom take away something.

The Iron Warriors omnibus have a great scenario where like one drop pod of elite Imperial Fists come down and fight side by side with the Guard. Granted they still lose but I think that's a basic example. In my case I'm running some traitors and the idea is a small group of Traitors infiltrates a garrison in the beginning of a planetary coup. I'm leaning towards DA even more because then I can use Cypher.

Archived