What is the Quintessential Ravenwing Core?

ValourousHeart

For the first time ever, I think I am overwhelmed with options for my Ravenwing army.

Life should always be this rough.

I know that mono-wings tend to sell themselves short, by artificially limiting options from the codex.

But this discussion is just about the basic core of a Ravenwing list, a starting point that larger lists can be built around.

For a core army I feel that the points need to be kept to 1000 points or less, and give options for taking the army in a verity of directions as you grow your collection or escalate into larger games.

Under our 4th edition codex I felt that core was the following models:

Sammie (either ride)

12 Bikes

2 Attack Bikes

2 Landspeeders

You could accomplish that list in a verity of ways with both the 4th and 6th edition codexes, with enough points left over for some modest upgrades applied to any unit, or forgo all upgrades and maybe slip in another unit or 2.

You also weren't forced into a certain play style, or to make maditory purchases as you expanded the army.

As we drew to the end of the 6th edition codex, I feel that while there where a vast number of different yet still effective 2500 point list available, all of them had those 17 models at their core.

My question to you is, is that core still the heart and soul of RW, or has that changed with the new codex?

IMHo the core hasn't changed that much.Sammy is cool to have, bike squads now have grav, BK's are the swiss knife, attack bikes with MM still are our best anti-tank and speeders are still very very useful with their long range firepower.

Nowadays it's also to leave home without a darkshroud...With ne Codex we also have dark talon, nephilim and LS vengeance.

I think it's hard to do a RW army without one of each hehe

With so many options, I too am puzzled as to what a core might look like.

If I'm rolling with the RWSFD (oof a mouthful) Sammael, 2x 4man gravgun bike squads and a RWCS mught be my core. I like the Support Squadron and the attack squadron too much to pass up. Maybe theres another darkshroud or a darktalon in there. I like to run an imperial knight with my RW so I need points leftover.

I think that one Ravenwing Command Squad (6 bikes, apothecary, at least one grenade launcher; add champion, banner, and/or another grenade launcher to taste) and one Ravenwing Support Squadron (usually 3 Typhoons and a Darkshroud) will be very nearly must-haves.

I'm definitely feeling the support squadron, but I'm not sure what the best make up for the Speeders are.

In order to give the anti - assault support they will need to be close so MM +HF are options.

Interceptor volumof fire would be great somHB/HB or HB/AC

Typhoons are nice but one of the best things about them is the range. However Dark Shroud needs to be close to the action so....

New to running heavy RW, but I am building my RWCS to go with Sammie, Libby on bike, 2 x 5 RW bikes currently plasma, 2x attack bikes with meltas and 3 speeders 2x AC and 1 x Typhoon for starters give or take.  Unfortunately I do not have a Dark Shroud yet, but it is coming sooner than later. Judging from what all of you have posted above I think I am heading in the right direction, but if not I am open to advice. 

I'll run this with my IK (heavy support and AA) and a reserve force of 1 x 5 man hit squad of shooty DW and a squad of 5 DWKs. Think I should be able to get in under 2000 points next weekend, if not I'll cut a little here and there.

Where is best place to pick up Grav guns for bikes?  What set gives the most grab guns in bits or does FW have them as add on kit?  Is there a way to upgrade regular RW bikes using bits from RWCS box to look more like or count as RWBKs?

Never Forgive! Never Forget!

Archived