Kill Team question

Myrkul

So one of the guys at my local shop is starting a campaign/tournament around kill teams.

Basic kill team rules apply w/ the stipulation of no more than 30 models on the table, cannot take any HQ choices and a troop choice must be your warlord (for all missions and lists you build); there are buffs for that character as the campaign progresses etc(and from my understanding the first one he's giving to IG players is Voice of Command). Addionally there will be time in the campaign for games ranging from 500-2000pts; and the core kill team list must be used in all subsequent lists.

I have a few ideas in mind,

Either running one or two vet squads or a platoon. Ive considered running Harker given the buffs he'd get over the campaign he might be worth the cost, but im not sold on it.

Any of you who have ran kill teams have any imput for building a list.

There has been a few KT topics I can remember: one, two, three, four :) Giving them a read should arm you with most of what you need :tu:

The things to keep in mind are that each unit is independent and that the game works as an exaggeration of how each codex works. KT does not play like any other game type in the slightest, so your choices can easily make or break a game.

Vets are good thanks to their special weapons, but remember that they make for easy targets as they have no squad mates to hide behind. Similarly in small points vehicles are more powerful and we can bring a variety but again context is key - shooting a single model means no point in festooning the armour with guns as it'll likely be overkill. Tanks will be harder to deal with too, as thanks to the single model units it's easier to neutralise enemy AT.

Guard are good with numbers, so a Platoon can be quite effective. A lot of models and special/heavy weapons can be added and they will form a solid core to your normal games - probably be easier to use as part of a larger list too. Vets are good but for KT they must have some decent support, I ran them with a Chimera which was good but it was the Chimera that won the day for the most part.

It's one of thise wierd things because I have to carry that killteam into all subsiquent list for the campaign even if its a 2000pt list. So its trying to strike a balance on what is best at 250 pts and that wont hamstring me in a higher point game.

I was thinking this since its a good base that can carry into pretty much any list

+++ New Roster (250pts) +++

Infantry Platoon (250pts)

····Infantry Squad [Autocannon Team, 7x Guardsman]

········Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]

····Infantry Squad [Autocannon Team, 7x Guardsman]

········Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]

····Platoon Command Squad [Guardsman w/ Heavy Flamer, Guardsman w/ Lasgun, 2x Guardsman w/ Plasma Gun, Krak Grenades for Squad, Taurox]

········Platoon Commander [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Melta Bombs, Orders, Warlord]

Or given how the warlord gets buffs as the campaign progresses:

+++ IG Kill Team (250pts) +++

Ratlings (30pts) [3x Ratling]

Veterans (170pts) [Flak Armour for Squad, Forward Sentries, Krak Grenades for Squad, Veteran w/ Flamer, 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun, 2x Veteran w/ Plasma Gun]

····Sergeant Harker [Warlord]

Armoured Sentinel Squadron (50pts)

····Armoured Sentinel [Plasma Cannon]

In my gaming group, we are playing an escalation league with a similar sequential-list-building theme (but highlander style - THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE! ...of any codex choice.)

If I could go back and start over from square one, I would have the long-term in mind, the bigger games. At lower point games, we can't bring the stuff that makes the Guard what it is, like Valks and Russ'. Just start with a good core of infantry, take your licks early on, and keep adding in the meat and potatoes as the league progresses.

Archived