Iron hands: adding to the list

Cadmus Tyro

Hi all,

Long time gamer (from 2nd edition) and lurker here, I've been so inspired by the content on B&C I felt the need to join the ranks! I'm working on the Xth legion at the moment and I'm struggling to decide what I should add to my force to bring it to 3000pts. I'm looking for a mechanised list and mainly play orks/marines.

So far I have the following:

HQ

Forge Lord, thunder hammer, Cortex controller - 115

LoW

Ferrus Manus -455

RoW - head of the gorgon

Troops

X10 tactical marines, combi plasma, rhino - 195

X10 tactical marines, power sword, land raider proteus, armoured ceramite - 380

Elites

X10 Tartaros terminators, x7 power gloves, chain fist, reaper auto cannon, plasma blaster - 400

Contemptor dreadnought - twin fists/grav guns - 205

Contemptor Mortis, two multimeltas, havoc launcher - 170

Castellax x2, flamers x2, mauler bolt cannons - 180

Heavy support

Vindicator - 120

Heavy support squad x5, auto cannons, scanner - 165

Total = 2385

I also have five additional mk2 marines which need to be assigned a role, either additional tactical/heavy support marines or a new support squad.

So the question is, what to include to bring the list up to 3000 points

A spartan seems like an auto include, to deliver the hammer unit.

To fill the last heavy support slot I like the idea of the following options:

1) move castellax to heavy support and add x3 quad mortars to the elites - durable unit with multiple roles

2) Deredeo dreadnought - to fill a lack of anti -air

3) Swap out forgelord for Castrman Orth and add sicaran or sicaran venator. For some outflanking tank death.

4) wait for something more awesome to come out!

You're input is most appreciated!

Cadmus

Not so up on the Forge Lord, but doesn't he make Castellax a Heavy Support option (as per their entry and Massacre's ruling page 192)? I don't recall seeing them as elite - but I am known to be wrong with these things since I don't have the later books beyond Massacre (and the fact the red book lacks that bit of info iirc). smile.png

If that's the case, I'd drop the heavy support squad for a Deredeo, or play about with C.Orth instead, adding in the Mortars as a high toughness unit where you've freed up the slot.

Edit

Of course, ignore that if you plan to use the Iron Hands specific Rite of War - "Head of the Gorgon" for the "Iron Scions" part of it (but I didn't see that bit mentioned).

Hi infyrana, thanks for the input. The ruling is a little ambiguous, in 'massacre' there are two separate pages regarding the cortex controller (entry in both the mechanicum wargear and space marine updates).They state they can be taken as elites or heavy support.. The crusade army list doesn't have an entry for the cortex controller (as far as I can see) but the unit entry profiles implies heavy support. (if I'm wrong here please let me know)

Regardless, I plan on using the 'head of the Gorgon' ROW, which allows them to be taken as an Elites choice, even without the controller.

Edit

Sorry my fault for not including RoW, I've edited the first post to include it.

After a little thought, I've put together an updated list:

HQ

Forge Lord, thunder hammer, Cortex controller, augury scanner 120

LoW

Ferrus Manus -455

RoW - head of the gorgon

Troops

X10 tactical marines, combi plasma, rhino - 195

X10 tactical marines, power sword, land raider proteus, armoured ceramite - 380

Elites

X10 Tartaros terminators, x7 power gloves, chain fist, reaper auto cannon, plasma blaster, Spartan assault tank, armoured ceramite 715

Contemptor dreadnought - twin fists/grav guns - 205

Contemptor Mortis, two multimeltas, havoc launcher - 170

X 3 rapier gun plaforms - quad mortars - 180

Heavy support

Vindicator - 120

Heavy support squad x10, auto cannons, scanner - 290

Castellax x2, mauler bolt cannons - 170

Total = 3000

Heavy support and mortars form fire base, forge Lord goes with mortars to provide an augury scanner - castellax babysit the fire base.

Spartan/proteus and contemptors move upfield as required.

Vindicator and second tactical squad in rhino outflank and harass/take upfield objectives.

Any thoughts on the list? Strengths/weaknesses?

Cheers

Archived