Maelstrom

j-smuv

I have a confession to make. . .  I haven't played very many maelstrom games.  The ones have played have been pretty one-sided, and usually not in my favor.  But there is a Maelstrom tournament coming up at the local game store, and I thought it might be fun to throw my hat in. 

Now there was a lot of talk about Maelstrom when 7th edition dropped.  The consensus then seemed to be MSU, rush forward and claim everything ASAP.  As of today, Maelstrom has been out for a while, and the scene seems to have quieted on the subject.  But maybe tactics have changed. . .

My questions are:  How do you guys play maelstrom?  What do you bring in a Maelstrom list?  What basic tactics do you use?  What is your Blood Angel specific approach?  What do you look out for across the table in your opponent?

I'm looking to improve, and I have a pretty deep BA army to draw from for list building.   And maybe it's just a frame of mind thing, but Maelstrom just hasn't worked out well for me so far.  So any help is appreciated.

Mobility and high range are more powerful in maelstrom. But other than that it is quite similar. There are two (sometimes conflicting) things to remember.

1. If you have even a single model left on the board, it is the victory points that determine the winner.
2. Don't let trying to collect victory points get you killed. Wasting a unit on a victory point isn't generally advisable, unless they were going to suicide anyway. Discard cards that are far away from you for card advantage unless you lose nothing by keeping them. Sure, you might be able to get that objective, but remember that most missions are "draw up to X" type deals which means you lose nothing(on average) by dropping a bad card.

Thanks Teetengee. . .

What about the Maelstrom warlord traits:  are they worth it?

Also, I imagine this is one of those times you would want to take BA: CAD over BA: BSF since you would get Objective Secured with the CAD.  Would you agree?  Or would the fact that only tactical squads and scouts get ObsSec be ultimately inconsequential? 

Try Dante. Not only does he come with a good warlord trait from the BA table, but he gives you a free Tactical one as well. I have found that the Maelstorm table can be pretty underwhelming by itself.

MSU and mobility can be really helpful in Maelstorm. I have a lot of luck combat squading two assault marine units, who hop around claiming OBJs while the Sanguinary Guard and Death Company get down to business. Throw my Fragisio and a full Flamer Tactical squad in their back line to either contest or destroy their OBJ holders.

Board control- having it yourself or denying the enemy theirs- is absolutely key.

Yeah, you want to get a fighting line close to their deployment, so that you can take all the objectives in 2/3 of the board.
Also maelstrom traits can be good. But as most warlord traits, they are usually hit or miss.

Try Dante. Not only does he come with a good warlord trait from the BA table, but he gives you a free Tactical one as well. I have found that the Maelstorm table can be pretty underwhelming by itself.

MSU and mobility can be really helpful in Maelstorm. I have a lot of luck combat squading two assault marine units, who hop around claiming OBJs while the Sanguinary Guard and Death Company get down to business. Throw my Fragisio and a full Flamer Tactical squad in their back line to either contest or destroy their OBJ holders.

Board control- having it yourself or denying the enemy theirs- is absolutely key.

Yeah, you want to get a fighting line close to their deployment, so that you can take all the objectives in 2/3 of the board.

Also maelstrom traits can be good. But as most warlord traits, they are usually hit or miss.

Alright. ..   So put three drop pods in a list for an immediate threat of 2 pods down first turn into their line, and then have MSU tac squads in rhinos and a combat squaded assault squads running around for objectives.  Dante/hammer units to taste. . .  Have you guys had luck with bikes or speeders?

Bikes are fantastic, I imagine speeders are good for the same reason. Turboboosting and jinking make for a great way to capture an enemy field objective and still remain somewhat survivable, especially since T5 means they take a lot to kill, and minimum sized units might not be worth it to them to kill depending on what objectives they have.

Drop pods sound good, you might want to reinforce that with a bike unit.

Also, combat squads and rhinos are your friends as that means one slot can take three objectives (potentially).

Remember a few long range threats to sit near your backfield objectives as well.

BAs can do excellent in straight Maelstrom!  For my local group its pretty much the standard.  Focus on the keys of each mission - points up front vs kill the enemy and get more points last vs careful and steady / points denial.  Its all good!  The only card in the deck I hate to see is the BA specific one where you get a point if you lose your warlord....

BAs can do excellent in straight Maelstrom!  For my local group its pretty much the standard.  Focus on the keys of each mission - points up front vs kill the enemy and get more points last vs careful and steady / points denial.  Its all good!  The only card in the deck I hate to see is the BA specific one where you get a point if you lose your warlord....

I think that one is awesome and fluffy! can't wait to draw it!

Totally fluffy, a noble BA sacrificing himself in the hope that his death will allow for an overall victory. I mean who doesn't want to mimic Sanguinius?!

Still can be quite annoying from an in game POV, especially as I think it has to be in a challenge .

D

And when it at best equalizes the opponents STW point, and at worst gives them D3 from kingslayer....

Fluffy or not, its a horrible trade. Maybe if it was D3 like Kingslayer. ..

Wording is"dies in your assault phase"... but if your Warlord ever refuses a challenge its lost.

Archived