Hello I require help for starting a 500pt Gue'vesa IG army!

SteelKrieg

Im new to this forum and new to table top warhammer, any help what so ever with creating this guevesa army would be great.  I am not sure where to start I currently only have 1 cadian IG squad and was thinking of purchasing a sentinel from there.  I need a sort of direction and something to build upon to eventually get to 1k pts and play competitively 

While highly heretical and I do not condone it at any point and if anyone would try it I would invade his neighbourhood with Cannons and Muskets, but you could just use human models with Tau rules. You know, Firewarriors and all that stuff.

If you want IG, you first want to ask yourself if you want a foot army or a mech army. Either way, you could start with a cheap Lord Commissar or Command Squad and two foot units of Veterans, a Sentinel and a Leman Russ of any variant. That is fairly neutral and gives you enough flexibility to go either way.

Welcome to the B&C and hobby Steel smile.png By guevesa do you not mean Tau allied Guard? If that's not the case I'm not sure if the term is correct as I'm sure it's only a Tau term. Coffee runs some heretical Guard who like the fish heads so he can sort you out I'm sure thumbsup.gif

Immer explains well - the best thing to do is build for a certain type of Guard army you'd like to run. You can easily expand on them later and there is much variety in the Guard codex - infantry company, Veteran force, artillery, tanks and even flyers and of course any mix of these!

There are a couple of things I want to point out before we get started; first is that Guard is not a top tier codex. We're strong and capable enough but if you're looking at high level tournament play with all the tricks and combos etc then you'll struggle. If not then you'll be fine and there will be good match ups and bad ones as with any other codex smile.png Second is that Guard are in all things slow to get going. That includes army lists, so the first 500pts can go quickly as you build your base.

However this base will form the backbone of your Guard army as you build it above 500pts thumbsup.gif So the question is would you like to run Veterans, or Platoons? Or one of each! How you build your Troop choices is an important part of the overall army and each has merits. Even if you decide purely by how many infantry models you want to paint (or not...) it's alters how best to go from there.

Sentinels are nice, best kept cheap and in number. They can do well at lower points and Scout Sentinels are great for outflanking. Do you have any colour schemes in mind for your Guard? Let us know if you have any questions smile.png

Thank you very much, and i meant guevesa more as in a regiment who takes the equipment of the heretics after executing them in front of their commissars C:  Seriously though thank you for the direction much appreciated

Even this is highly heretical, as the emperor provides and protects! I do like your idea, it seems interesting. As for What models to get, I always tell people to start off with an HQ and 2 troops choices. Now guard are great for troops, you can opt for quality (veterans), or quantity (infantry platoons). I suggest Veterans if you want to go mech, and run more armor. I personally love sentinels, particularly the armored variety with plasma cannons or autocannons. 

However if it's infantry you're after the platoon will give you more infantry than you can shake a stick at. No army does infantry like the guard, especially since you can get 153 infantry (counting heavy weapons as 6 man units, though gameplay treats them as 3 models with 2 wounds each and bulky) into a single troops choice, that's before you star adding things like commissars, psykers, and priests. As far as I know, that's more infantry in a single slot than any other army. Of course you don't have to go that big, but that just shows you what you can do with the guard. 

If you plan on using the Tau codex, you might just try fluffing them as veterans. Though I suggest not using the tau codex, because that will tend to hurt you, seing as veterans are better in close combat (WS3) and better at shooting (BS4), and can be upgraded to a 4+ armor save for cheap. All up 10 vets costs less than a full unit of fire warriors and does much better, since they can take 3 special weapons (plasma guns on crapace vets gives you 6 S7 AP2 shots at 12 inches, they usually kill a lot more than firewarriors can). 

Without some idea of how you intend to play these guys, I can really only give you Imperial Guard (Astra Militarum) Codex advice. Honestly, I like the Guard much more than I like my tau, right now (we'll see if that changes when the new Tau Codex drops). 

If you're used to playing tau, there are some important things to note, while the tau are pretty much considered to be a mono-build army, Imperial guard has so much more to offer. Horde guard is foot slogging infantry, lots of platoons with some heavy stuff, usually a gun line army, but some go all infantry, and some add tanks. Then there's Mech guard, which is infantry in chimeras, even this isn't universal, some folks like to go fast with hellhounds and devil dogs and sentinels with their infantry, others like to add artillery and leman russes. Then there's what I play, which is airborne guard. I roll in with tons of fliers and infantry, deep striking and infiltrating all over the board, and making my deep strike so much more accurate. A hard hitting airborne force is hard to counter, as nobody expects to see that many fliers hit the table all at once. 

Warriorfish has really hit many of the same things I did, he just got his response posted before me...

If I were to play alongside tau with guard, I would make sure I do some interesting kitbashes of tau equipment on the human auxiliaries.

Tactically I would probably run blob guard, as it is something Tau don't do all that well.

Gue'Vesa (Human helpers) are usually ex-guard who have joined the Tau Empire for the Greater Good. There is a "Chapter Approved" datasheet for them and basically you ran them as Firewarriors with guard stat lines.

They where equipped with lasguns but optionally they could take up to 2 pulse rifles or carbines per squad.

Most people use Cadians and convert them either with Tau parts or greenstuff. Check out web images by simply googling Gue'Vesa images.

You can build up a complete Guard army similar to Coffee's which you can find here.

Of course, as a member of the Commissariat, I will be keeping an eye on your progress just in case the heresy gets to a stage where summary execution is required....

Welcome to the B&C and hobby Steel smile.png By guevesa do you not mean Tau allied Guard? If that's not the case I'm not sure if the term is correct as I'm sure it's only a Tau term. Coffee runs some heretical Guard who like the fish heads so he can sort you out I'm sure thumbsup.gif

Immer explains well - the best thing to do is build for a certain type of Guard army you'd like to run. You can easily expand on them later and there is much variety in the Guard codex - infantry company, Veteran force, artillery, tanks and even flyers and of course any mix of these!

There are a couple of things I want to point out before we get started; first is that Guard is not a top tier codex. We're strong and capable enough but if you're looking at high level tournament play with all the tricks and combos etc then you'll struggle. If not then you'll be fine and there will be good match ups and bad ones as with any other codex smile.png Second is that Guard are in all things slow to get going. That includes army lists, so the first 500pts can go quickly as you build your base.

However this base will form the backbone of your Guard army as you build it above 500pts thumbsup.gif So the question is would you like to run Veterans, or Platoons? Or one of each! How you build your Troop choices is an important part of the overall army and each has merits. Even if you decide purely by how many infantry models you want to paint (or not...) it's alters how best to go from there.

Sentinels are nice, best kept cheap and in number. They can do well at lower points and Scout Sentinels are great for outflanking. Do you have any colour schemes in mind for your Guard? Let us know if you have any questions smile.png

Thank you for such a great welcoming! I meant more of a theme aesthetic rather than allied with tau. ( I would roll with deathkorps but it seems to be far too expensive) I would like to run vets but I feel platoons are a far better choice for IG.

Did someone say...Gue'vesa? I got all excited and thought someone else had leapt onto my personal vein of heresy. (Even though all these Imperials are the real heretics!) Ah well.

If you're running guys who've stolen Tau weaponry, you can generally fluff them to have the same statlines. For example Rail Rifles and Railguns are super-cool bitz, and you can fluff them as using heavier slugs, so they have slightly less armour penetration and a shorter range, but hit much harder on impact. Hence why your Lascannons represented by Heavy Rail Rifles are hitting at +1Str, but -12" range and -1 AP.

It's probably a bit over-complicated to run with as a general theme unless you really wanna commit to it, as there's a lot of cutting and chopping involved compared to a normal Guard army, and the inevitable people mocking you for Tau-ing up your Guard. :P

As far as replacement Death Korps, Anvil Industry do a few a decent bit cheaper than the normal price, these would do fine for the rank-and-file. I've bought from them before, very high quality kits! This company also does a couple of decent models, and a lot of skeevy ones...

Ah, so you mean using looting and Tau equipment? Guevasa is definitely the wrong term there, they're just a thieving Guard regiment :lol:;) You'll need a good reason for them to be taking and using xenos technology without sanction, easiest way is to have an Inquisitor involved but you could do other things. Perhaps they're an abandonded remnant after the Damocles Crusade and are taking whatever weapons they can to continue the fight for example?

I'm sure there are a few third party Krieg style models around, but I'm afraid I can't remember where to find them :(

Did someone say...Gue'vesa? I got all excited and thought someone else had leapt onto my personal vein of heresy. (Even though all these Imperials are the real heretics!) Ah well.

If you're running guys who've stolen Tau weaponry, you can generally fluff them to have the same statlines. For example Rail Rifles and Railguns are super-cool bitz, and you can fluff them as using heavier slugs, so they have slightly less armour penetration and a shorter range, but hit much harder on impact. Hence why your Lascannons represented by Heavy Rail Rifles are hitting at +1Str, but -12" range and -1 AP.

It's probably a bit over-complicated to run with as a general theme unless you really wanna commit to it, as there's a lot of cutting and chopping involved compared to a normal Guard army, and the inevitable people mocking you for Tau-ing up your Guard. tongue.png

As far as replacement Death Korps, Anvil Industry do a few a decent bit cheaper than the normal price, these would do fine for the rank-and-file. I've bought from them before, very high quality kits! This company also does a couple of decent models, and a lot of skeevy ones...

Yeah I wanted to do a tau aligned IG but then I wouldnt have been able to use my Skittari rangers/vanguard. (They are a current filler for my army since it was all I had) I then just decided to stay imperium aligned

Archived