What should the 3 squads within one platoon be played as?

SteelKrieg

I must concur with Herr Immersturm. If you're going after hordes, take a few mortars. With that in mind, I have been known to take the odd Heavy Bolter to scare light vehicles and elite troops. The autocannon is a beautiful all-rounder in that it can take on almost everything and shine. Don't forget the humble Missile Launcher! In a pinch, it can take out fliers msn-wink.gif. I've heard the argument that Flakk Missiles aren't cost effective. Bah! They've saved me multiple times.

Then there is the Lascannon, for when you need something absolutely destroyed. Pew pew pew happy.png!

This is a very wide question, as mentioned it depends on what you want to do ;) Heavy Bolters are good guns that is true, but not good infantry ones. You can get all the bolters you need elsewhere and they compete with Autocannons as they're the same cost. Better to have the additional strength for tackling lighter armour too as anti-personnel fire is not something Guard lacks in.

Mortars are a favourite of mine, but not mainstream. The odd one for back field/hiding units (such as command squads) or perhaps a Heavy Weapon Squad of them to camp on an objectives and pester the enemy - I wouldn't give them to line squads. Lascannons are expensive but nice, best taken in number and/or with some buff to increase accuracy. Blobbing with a psyker to cast re-rolls is relatively popular for good reason.

Missile Rocket Launchers are an odd beast, not really a weapon suited to Guard. If you take them it's probably best to just have one or two flexibility on a suitable platform (BS4 really helps) or take them in number so they can do all your general needs. Flakk is expensive, but if you've some good shots to make (again: BS4!) then they can shore up some AA for you. Too expensive for me as a single shot BS3 weapon, so I'd work around that to get best use of them.

Are you just looking at heavy weapons, or special weapons too?

I have a special weapons team equipped with 3 heavy flamers and 2 plasma guns, I just need something to curb special troops and transports.  ( ive primarily faced stern guard and the drop pod is a bitch to deal with) 

edit:  Im just not sure what to take to ensure that transport doesnt come into range of my blob so I can pick off their tac squads/orks etc.  but im primarily looking at heavy weapons teams to fix this.

I didn't realize how unpopular heavy bolters were. I like to stick them in my CCS when they never leave their chimera. Those BS4 shots usually neutralize threats, when you add in the chimera's own fire. I also occasionally put them in defensive veterans, with "forward sentries" to just hang out and hold an area.

I wouldn't say unpopular exactly, being the same price as more versatile Autocannons is the problem. If GW were to give them a little points drop they'd do a lot better. I still use my three from time to time if I want to shore up anti-personnel as they can put a lot of shots into something :)

For heavy weapons squads, I like mortars, autocannons and missile launchers. For a squad heavy weapon, I like heavy bolters and missile launchers. Mortars are an often overlooked tool, as with an infantry heavy army like mine, I need a squad that can spam templates at long range. Missile launchers are another great tool for putting templates down at long range, though they need line of sight to do it, the big reason for missile launchers is the versatility. You can put down a blast, or shoot it at a vehicle and stand a decent chance of taking out AV12 and under. AV12 and up is going to be more difficult, but not impossible. I tend to stay away from single shot weapons on guardsmen, just because of the lower hit percentages on single dice.

Archived